Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

01.25.2012 , 08:17 AM | #1
Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

05.16.2012 , 04:36 AM | #2
Hello everyone,

This thread has been recreated because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to whether or not there will be Server Merges.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:
  • Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

For related discussions, please see the following threads:

Please also see Dallas Dickinson's reply to the April 27th Community Q&A:

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.
Thank you for understanding.

05.16.2012 , 09:15 AM | #3
Dear Zoggel

Please just tell us if they have plans to merge servers, or at least considering it. Not sure why there is only talks of transfers on a thread called "when will servers merge" when we all know that will not be good enough. I am hoping BW thinks more long term here, not just short term because making transfers the only option will long term hurt this game since many people won't be able to continue playing with there freinds which is the main reason of playing an MMO to begin with.

I look forward to your reply.
Gedi - Level 50 Marauder
Postal - Level 50 Bounty Hunter
Iron Citadel

05.16.2012 , 09:16 AM | #4
I am quite amazed that they're dragging their feet so much on the Transfers. I mean I'm no doomcryer but it is almost as if they don't realise there's an issue...

I mean in an interview only a month or so ago, the Lead Dev said that Mergers were "Not a priority.".

05.16.2012 , 10:45 AM | #5
I still don't understand why they even want to entertain the purpose of transfers.

Merge servers first to get a basis on what needs to be transferred later.
E x p h r y l | <Exiled Disciples> Daragon Trail
| ---------- Want to see Pyro Burst Potential in 1.2? Watch This! -----------|
| Valor 90+ Powertech | |Thinking of Rolling a Pyro or Assault VG? Read this Guide |
|Guild Website | Youtube| Cassie - 50 Operative | Krelia - 50 Sorcerer|

05.16.2012 , 10:52 AM | #6
Simply posting to reiterate to Bioware that this is a huge issue. Our guild on Master Gnost Dural once had 500 members. Now down to 280 listed characters, alot of the missing ones were deleted characters. Furthermore, of that 280 there is probably 30 or 40 who actively play, and of those there are more than a few who have already warned us they are leaving after the free month sub is up; some already have done so.

The large majority of these cases are level 50 players who are unable to do anything of value with thier character. Doing a 16 man (or even 8 man) ops isnt a reality when there are 5 level 50's online in your guild, and only 30 characters in PEAK hours on the fleet - of whom maybe 10 are geared for raids; and half of which dont want to PUG, and I dont blame them.

This is such a huge problem. Whatever PR Bioware is trying to save by making character transfers rather than just bulk server merges ASAP is going to be a much lower ROI in the long term. Every day this goes on its getting worse almost exponentially - tomorrow wont be one day worse than today, it will be much more than that, and it continues on.

05.16.2012 , 10:58 AM | #7
Dear BW my sub ends on August, but due the lack of people to keep doing flash points and heroics (don't want to solo anymore planets) I've just bought Diablo just to try it before boredom.
... and there was him ...

05.16.2012 , 11:09 AM | #8
I'm tired of waiting 30 minutes between Warzones and then getting only a group of 6. Starting out the WZ outnumbered sucks, so some people just quit, which cuts you down to 4-5 players against 8 on the other side. Hence, I just wasted 30 minutes to get into an automatic losing warzone.

Seriously, merge the servers ASAP. This is getting out of hand how bad it is.

05.16.2012 , 11:11 AM | #9
If i see one more yellow post linking back to the dev tracker i will go insane.

BW, can you please update us on the plan, even alt rolling is dull with no one about.

05.16.2012 , 11:16 AM | #10
Server merges need to happen, because the free server transfers will not help anyone....since LOW POP can not go to a HIGH POP server for free (as it stands right now, they might change it), this will spread the player base even thinner and after free transfers are done even more under populated servers will exist?! (Doesn't make sense to me)