Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can SWTOR be Saved ?

Jakobpoop
05.16.2012 , 03:48 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Murdertrane View Post
Give it 2 months...
in 2 mounths server transfer will probably be here and then there will be more of those servers

Totaltrash
05.16.2012 , 04:15 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by pilotjosh View Post
I don't want this post to come off as "screw star wars, this game sucks," or whatever. Im just simply curious if you guys think this game has a future anymore. With the countless bugs and glitches, customer service issues gone unanswered, dying servers, what does bioware need to do to save this game or is it already to late.
For us players, it's done - stick a fork it.

But from a corporate point of view, SWTOR probably satisfied fiscal expectations - meaning, it returned the cost of product development and grossed a decent profit for all parties involved (Bioware, EA, Lucasart).

Now it's time to focus on to the next cash cow - Medal of Honor, I hear?

Caspian_Rho
05.16.2012 , 04:41 AM | #23
Can it be saved? no No and NO!!! It's got into a bad state for a reason, and the people that are making [bad] design choices and [bad] implementations are still there and still in control. All Bioware have really created in the last few years is fake social pulp slop. The minute I heard it was Bioware doing TOR, I despaired. They have no understanding of the core IP.

These stories are cliched, stereotypical (ironically not stereotypical Star Wars) and predictable which makes them boring and bland e.g. Half the smuggler storyline is based on 'DUDE?! Where's my Spaceship?' and the other half some rip off version of Snatch/Sporanos. All TOR is, is a rehash of all their code from other games. Every mechanic you see has been ripped from their own games... there is nothing new here except the degree to which EA has tried to pull the wool over our eyes and woeful design choices.
Waiting for the definitive Star Wars sandbox mmo...

mithrelkhaar
05.16.2012 , 04:48 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
For us players, it's done - stick a fork it.

But from a corporate point of view, SWTOR probably satisfied fiscal expectations - meaning, it returned the cost of product development and grossed a decent profit for all parties involved (Bioware, EA, Lucasart).

Now it's time to focus on to the next cash cow - Medal of Honor, I hear?
Jesus Christ guys
The game has been out for half a year, and it has bugs.

What MMO doesnt?

People arent really appraised of history it seems

Took WoW a year to hit 1 million subs

This game hit pretty much 2 mil in a couple months

Took WoW YEARS to get the the level it is at now, and IT STILL has BUGS

bugs are part of EVERY MMO, not just SWTOR

I swear society has become more and more whining and alot less realistic

people think everything should be done in 2 days, and if it isnt done in 2 days, the game is destined to fail

Nothing is wrong with this game this early in its life, it launched far more smooth than WoW did, and even smoother than D3 just did yesterday for those who were following it

server transfers will come and fix the imbalance of servers issue, the other issues will be worked out as fixes are found for them

Somewhere along the lines i think people got this game confused with a FPS where everything is in the game minus DLC at launch....might wanna read up on what MMOs are and how long it takes them to actually take form

mithrelkhaar
05.16.2012 , 04:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by pilotjosh View Post
uhhh, its common knowledge that bioware is LOSING subscribers every month, not gaining, what was it last time down 25% in 2 months ?? dont quote me on that cuz im not sure, but i do know that subscriptions are falling not rising,
Down 25% in 2 months, kinda makes sense....

bunch of new people bought it, people that didnt like it dropped it, takes a bit for those subs to fall off

WoW didnt have 1 mil subs till the 1 year mark, look it up if you feel it is inaccurate, you will find it surprising im sure, as you probably think WoW had 10mil subs in its first 2 months, but that isnt the case.

Bunch of impatient whiners on these forums.....wish there was a universal tool to teach people the art of patience

Caspian_Rho
05.16.2012 , 05:09 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by mithrelkhaar View Post
Bunch of impatient whiners on these forums.....wish there was a universal tool to teach people the art of patience
How long do you think I should be giving MY money to EAware? and not expect them to fix anything? What would be a reasonable time?? 2 months? 3? possibly 4? maybe 6? If you can't fix major bugs (the ones reported most) in 6 months then there is something serrously wrong. doesn't matter how much patience!
Waiting for the definitive Star Wars sandbox mmo...

Nyla
05.16.2012 , 05:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Caspian_Rho View Post
How long do you think I should be giving MY money to EAware? and not expect them to fix anything? What would be a reasonable time?? 2 months? 3? possibly 4? maybe 6? If you can't fix major bugs (the ones reported most) in 6 months then there is something serrously wrong. doesn't matter how much patience!
Are you trying to say they didn't fixed/added anything since the launch ? Really ?
“When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.”

Costello
05.16.2012 , 05:22 AM | #28
I hope it can be saved, though a major problem Bioware face is that with full VO and story and companion etc any new content is very costly and without a large staff slow to come. Look at STO for what happens if you don't have the staff its months between very small content updates. Of course they are free to play so its a little different and rely on the foundry system.

So unless TOR can become very very popular and commercially sucessful we will find it stagnating with the story not progressing and very little to do. When that happens people will move on cause why pay 15 bucks to repeat the same conentent and dailies.

Totaltrash
05.16.2012 , 05:23 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by mithrelkhaar View Post
I swear society has become more and more whining and alot less realistic
You misunderstood, I'm not whining at all - I had fun playing SWTOR.
But I believe, I'm very realistic assessing the business side of this game.

Pre-WoW, MMO's were mostly creative playgrounds with marginal profits.
But nowadays, they are big money!
It is not easy to predict financial sustainability of any new MMO - players are fickle.
Therefore, game companies will maximize profits right upon launch, when the interest in the game is at its peak and the game's short-comings are the least apparent.

Bioware/EA did exactly that and now the costs are recovered and the profits are made.

Sure, if subscriptions remain high enough, the game may continue to be financially sustainable, but that is no longer all that relevant from a corporate view point, since the bulk of the profits are already in the bank.

Which leads me to the conclusion that from a player's point of view - stick a fork in it, its done.

Celwinn
05.16.2012 , 05:28 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Musclemary View Post
I love how people think that their experiences are shared by everyone else in exactly the same way. Your SWTOR experience is largely defined by which server you are on. I'm now on one of the aussie servers...Result is 2 instances of fleet because it's so busy. No shortage of people for flashpoints, heroics and other stuff..We even have people pugging the ops for HM and Nightmare. In short, it's probably the ideal situation for Bioware and one which in an ideal world, exactly how they envisaged the game experience to be.

It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one. There is enough data out there now to know which are the main servers and if you've been playing on a dead server, your character is unlikely to be geared to the max, so you're not really losing much by just creating another toon. It doesn't take long to level and i already have 2 50's a 42 and now levelling a trooper who in the space of one evening I got to level 10....

Is it an ideal situation? No..but creating another character is probably preferable than whining and waiitng until the summer for transfers.
Not trying to be a downer but Aussie's only have 3 servers, so it would be busy, whereas the North American Servers have 133 servers with people spread all through the servers.

I bet if Bioware merges about 50 servers, the population would increase on those servers.
Don't let the past define you