Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can SWTOR be Saved ?

pilotjosh
05.15.2012 , 11:46 PM | #1
I don't want this post to come off as "screw star wars, this game sucks," or whatever. Im just simply curious if you guys think this game has a future anymore. With the countless bugs and glitches, customer service issues gone unanswered, dying servers, what does bioware need to do to save this game or is it already to late.

In my opinion from what I have witnessed is it is to late. I have been a star wars fanboy for life and have been playing TOR since launch back in December. At game launch I remember sitting in que to even get on a server, now im lucky to see 30 people on fleet during peek hours. IMO the leveling part of this game was the best. The story lines with each class were a breath of fresh air compared to traditional mmos. But once you hit 50 the lone "2" operations were laughable at best. Full of bugs that went week after week with no fixes, and "raids" that consisted of 4 bosses. It was extremely underwhelming and even nightmare mode was a breeze for my guild. We had a strong 20+ active members in our guild and consistently did 16man operations 3 times a week. About 2 weeks before 1.2 dropped is when people (at least in our guild) finally had enough. We started seeing players hardly ever logging on, and if they did they were bored in about 15 minutes. Leveling alts seemed to pass the time, until it got to the point where you were the only person on a planet while trying to level and do quests. Forget about running a 4+ heroic on a planet, because there were only about 2-3 people on the planet at any given time.

Patch 1.2 drops and honestly I feel that a lot of people were holding out for that patch in hopes it would breathe life into this game again, but it fell very short of doing so. The new raid was an improvement IMO from EV/ KP but, it just simply wasn't enough. The so called "legacy" system was completely useless to any of us endgame players. Its just sad how this game had been anticipated for so many years and this is the end product that we received. Not even 6months into the game and it already is on the verge of dying.

My question is this, What can possibly be done to save this game, what can be done to stop the bleeding of thousands of people cancelling there subs every month. Is it to late to save it ?
I hope this game can be brought back with server transfers etc... but i fear its to late, for the proof is in the pudding, I have witnessed a game where I would login to 100+ on fleet getting groups together for flashpoints, leveling, doing operations and pvp, now all i see is people complaining they have been in que for pvp for hours with nothing going on, guilds that have fallen apart due to members losing interest in this game. I truly hope bioware has a fix for this because I feel if something isn't done, and done very quickly, this game will forever be lost and chalked up to another failed attempt to compete with WoW.

Any input appreciated, again this thread is not a rant, i Just want to know what we need to do to save/drastically improve this game where its fun and exciting again.

caniine
05.16.2012 , 12:04 AM | #2
I would say a little patience, and hopefully an epic 1.3 patch that will correct the experiment of 1.2 from early complaints of people who were too used to playing WoW. 1.2 is a prime example of you get what you ask for when you are used to playing another game and bringing that mentality to a new game before it has had it's freshmen five moment. I am hoping BW has and is looking at the mechanics an will realign it to what was envisioned before the players who complained about certain aspects, and now turn their backs because they got too much of what they thought they wanted.

BlueFromMoon
05.16.2012 , 12:23 AM | #3
Elder Scroll Online is going to be too big hit in my opinion. Sad to see this happening to Bioware. I could almost cry. I loved them and still do.

Musclemary
05.16.2012 , 12:29 AM | #4
I love how people think that their experiences are shared by everyone else in exactly the same way. Your SWTOR experience is largely defined by which server you are on. I'm now on one of the aussie servers...Result is 2 instances of fleet because it's so busy. No shortage of people for flashpoints, heroics and other stuff..We even have people pugging the ops for HM and Nightmare. In short, it's probably the ideal situation for Bioware and one which in an ideal world, exactly how they envisaged the game experience to be.

It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one. There is enough data out there now to know which are the main servers and if you've been playing on a dead server, your character is unlikely to be geared to the max, so you're not really losing much by just creating another toon. It doesn't take long to level and i already have 2 50's a 42 and now levelling a trooper who in the space of one evening I got to level 10....

Is it an ideal situation? No..but creating another character is probably preferable than whining and waiitng until the summer for transfers.

Hojdar
05.16.2012 , 12:35 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Musclemary View Post
I love how people think that their experiences are shared by everyone else in exactly the same way. Your SWTOR experience is largely defined by which server you are on. I'm now on one of the aussie servers...Result is 2 instances of fleet because it's so busy. No shortage of people for flashpoints, heroics and other stuff..We even have people pugging the ops for HM and Nightmare. In short, it's probably the ideal situation for Bioware and one which in an ideal world, exactly how they envisaged the game experience to be.

It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one. There is enough data out there now to know which are the main servers and if you've been playing on a dead server, your character is unlikely to be geared to the max, so you're not really losing much by just creating another toon. It doesn't take long to level and i already have 2 50's a 42 and now levelling a trooper who in the space of one evening I got to level 10....

Is it an ideal situation? No..but creating another character is probably preferable than whining and waiitng until the summer for transfers.
There are many obvious reason, I know that many people don't like to level alts. The main reason for not to reroll though is the legacy system. I don't want to move to a new server when i got two 50s with pretty decent gear and a legacy i invested a hell of a lot in. If you cant see how dumb it is to be told to move to a new server and leave all that behind, then you are very narrow minded in my opinion.

Edit: to answer the OP. Yes i believe it can be saved, but Bioware needs to cut their losses and learn from the mistakes they made so far. Server merges for prosperous population, better communication with the community regarding bugs, issues, plans for the future etc. Finally They need to focus more on how they want their game to be and not how they whiners wan't it. The customer is always right, but the whiners sure aren't.

Brosephiine
05.16.2012 , 12:43 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by pilotjosh View Post
I don't want this post to come off as "screw star wars, this game sucks," or whatever. Im just simply curious if you guys think this game has a future anymore.
Yes. That's all I need to say.
[deviantART]
A system run by the ergophobic
is destined for failure.

Musclemary
05.16.2012 , 12:47 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hojdar View Post
There are many obvious reason, I know that many people don't like to level alts. The main reason for not to reroll though is the legacy system. I don't want to move to a new server when i got two 50s with pretty decent gear and a legacy i invested a hell of a lot in. If you cant see how dumb it is to be told to move to a new server and leave all that behind, then you are very narrow minded in my opinion.

Edit: to answer the OP. Yes i believe it can be saved, but Bioware needs to cut their losses and learn from the mistakes they made so far. Server merges for prosperous population, better communication with the community regarding bugs, issues, plans for the future etc. Finally They need to focus more on how they want their game to be and not how they whiners wan't it. The customer is always right, but the whiners sure aren't.
So basically you have 2 level 50's and legacy yet you are on a dead server? At what point did it dawn on you that your server was dead..after your first or second level 50? Or did the general population just drop right after this?

jadynfortysix
05.16.2012 , 12:52 AM | #8
Yes I do. I knew there would be a bit of a holding pattern as features developed, so I've been working on my alts (approaching my 4th level 50) in order to unlock as much of the legacy as I can. Soon I'll be playing Republic toons in orders to unlock those as well. There's still some fine-tuning to be done to my main, Denova's been a good raid, and with 1.3 coming, it'll be much easier to find groups. I'm anxiously awaiting server mergers to bring some new life to the game. But I plan to be here for the long haul.
"Don't tell Mom I'm a bounty hunter. She thinks I play the Ludurian nose flute at a seedy cantina."

ekimmak
05.16.2012 , 12:53 AM | #9
[QUOTE=Musclemary;4385430] It's obviously not replicated like that on all the other severs. To be honest, I really don't understand why those people who are going overboard in their criticism about dead servers just do not roll on a busy one. [QUOTE]

My highly constructive post on this vanished!

Ah well. Legacy is something you don't want to leave behind, considering how many choices, QoL improvements, and gameplay boosts it provides.

I have seen someone start a thread on that, though. One that told people the best server to reroll to until the merges get underway.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Musclemary
05.16.2012 , 12:56 AM | #10
With the summer transfers, will legacy be transferred with your character? It wasn't for the aussie servers...