Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does Obi-Wan seem more powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why does Obi-Wan seem more powerful?

Darth_Solrac
05.17.2012 , 12:58 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazingShadow View Post
Why are you watching the prequels again?
Cuz they're infinitely better looking & more interesting than the OT....
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Captain_Zone
05.17.2012 , 02:27 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
Cuz they're infinitely better looking & more interesting than the OT....
I'm going to pretend that I didn't see this post. @.@
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

xXCheXGuevaraXx
05.17.2012 , 04:27 PM | #43
"When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master."

Slamuel
05.17.2012 , 04:34 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Not really, he beat Dooku who was one of the jedi order's greatest swordmasters. Obi-Wan has only beaten Maul(even then he didn't kill him), and got whooped by Dooku twice.
Heck, he sliced Maul in half! And soresu was unneffective against makashi.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the EU.

QuiQuaeQuod
05.17.2012 , 04:42 PM | #45
Obi-Wan is rarely portrayed as being stronger than Anakin per se - but certainly more experienced and refined.. His character by Ep III is the stereotypical Jedi Master; well-spoken and very precise and refined in the application of his power, even if ultimately he has less power than Anakin, who tends to use it more crudely.

Anakin in the prequels is more force-sensitive (technically with greater potential than Yoda) but the reason Obi-Wan is able to both compare favourably and, in Ep III, defeat him is because of more experience and finesse as opposed to raw power. Obi-Wan is the quintessential Jedi Master insofar as his talent lies in knowing when throwing power around is not necessary... Whilst Anakin jumps into the fray and throws his raw power at things with less thought, Obi tends to see, in a very Jedi way, the merit of applying the minimum force necessary to produce the desired effect.

Ultimately, re: the Dooku vs Obi thing, per the novel both Obi-Wan and Anakin are more than a match individually in a duel for Dooku by 19BBY on the Invisible Hand, but Obi gets caught off guard unluckily by Dooku's force attack; described as an act of desperation to try and stop their combined assault.

Quote: Originally Posted by Slamuel View Post
Heck, he sliced Maul in half! And soresu was unneffective against makashi.
Only in KotOR 2 game mechanics, lol... In the end, his Ep II defeat by Dooku in the duel was down to pure skill and experience - which Dooku had more of at the time.

Devilishmutt
05.17.2012 , 05:17 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazingShadow View Post
Why are you watching the prequels again?
it was a moment of weakness....i am shamed, i apologise.

Rehneu
05.17.2012 , 05:28 PM | #47
It is due to Anakin being much stronger with the force whine ability.

djkalman
05.17.2012 , 05:34 PM | #48
Remember what Yoda said, Anakin although was the chosen one, the profecy may have been miss interpreted, just because he is the chosen one he is better than the rest, it just means that the force is stronger on him, and at the end Luke ended up stronger...

Obi Wan was his master with more combat experience, he was a tactical general in the Clone Wars. Thats why he said it was over because he had the higher ground, he knew the advantages and the tactical possition he had, Anakin was driven by hate and made a bad move.

Captain_Zone
05.18.2012 , 01:07 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by djkalman View Post
Remember what Yoda said, Anakin although was the chosen one, the profecy may have been miss interpreted, just because he is the chosen one he is better than the rest, it just means that the force is stronger on him, and at the end Luke ended up stronger...

Obi Wan was his master with more combat experience, he was a tactical general in the Clone Wars. Thats why he said it was over because he had the higher ground, he knew the advantages and the tactical possition he had, Anakin was driven by hate and made a bad move.
Not to mention Obi-Wan's mastery of both Soresu and its sub-form, Trollesu. He would taunt his enemies into making a mistake and leaving themselves open.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

LordQordisz
05.18.2012 , 12:43 PM | #50
Obi Wan is just the man, but Anakin is more powerful.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken.