Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the gear req for denova?

Chaqen
05.16.2012 , 03:11 PM | #11
I say it is dependent on player skill imo, and how well people have their gear itemized (re-itemized columi>stock rakata). On a side note a good healer or two can be used as a buffer for mistakes in the mechanics or poor tanks, but the fights have dps requirements that require either gear or skill to over come.

Suzina
05.26.2012 , 10:37 PM | #12
I feel like those advising Columi for story mode EC are miss-reporting. I can only guess at the reason. You're going to want most of your raid in full rakata to beat EC story mode. Your DPS will struggle on Kephess bomb carriers otherwise.

For Hard Mode, you'll want full Rakata at a minimum, ideally with several members of your raid mod-swapping and using augmented gear to get an edge. There are new mechanics on hard mode that make the fights much more complicated and require a greater degree of coordination.
Member of Bane Fleet

pureeffinmetal
05.26.2012 , 11:53 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzina View Post
I feel like those advising Columi for story mode EC are miss-reporting. I can only guess at the reason. You're going to want most of your raid in full rakata to beat EC story mode. Your DPS will struggle on Kephess bomb carriers otherwise.

For Hard Mode, you'll want full Rakata at a minimum, ideally with several members of your raid mod-swapping and using augmented gear to get an edge. There are new mechanics on hard mode that make the fights much more complicated and require a greater degree of coordination.
If full Rakata was the requirement for beating EC Story, then it makes no sense that it reward Rakata.

Furthermore Columi > Stock Rakata. Rakata does not become powerful until you change all the bad mods and enhancements.

Hard Mode Denova needs to have Rakata. Story Mode is so much easier its not even funny. I've seen guilds kill Kephess without understand any of his mechanics on Story.

A lot of people seem to be asking the gear minimum for Denova. Here is what I'll say on the matter.

If you know the fights, understand the mechanics and have raid full of skilled people, you will always be able to get away with being under geared.

If you don't know the fights, don't understand the mechanics and/or have unskilled players, better gear can help you overcome these things.

Gear only raises your potential.. No amount of gear will make up for bad play but good play can make up for bad gear.

So the answer to the "gear minimum" for Denova probably changes from player to player and raid to raid.
Fallschirmjager
Lightning Sorcerer
<Rapture>
The Shadowlands (Formerly Shadow Hand)

snwmnx
05.27.2012 , 07:53 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by pureeffinmetal View Post
If full Rakata was the requirement for beating EC Story, then it makes no sense that it reward Rakata.

Furthermore Columi > Stock Rakata. Rakata does not become powerful until you change all the bad mods and enhancements.

Hard Mode Denova needs to have Rakata. Story Mode is so much easier its not even funny. I've seen guilds kill Kephess without understand any of his mechanics on Story.

A lot of people seem to be asking the gear minimum for Denova. Here is what I'll say on the matter.

If you know the fights, understand the mechanics and have raid full of skilled people, you will always be able to get away with being under geared.

If you don't know the fights, don't understand the mechanics and/or have unskilled players, better gear can help you overcome these things.

Gear only raises your potential.. No amount of gear will make up for bad play but good play can make up for bad gear.

So the answer to the "gear minimum" for Denova probably changes from player to player and raid to raid.
This.

Plus, fall is sexy IRL. I herrrd it in /1.

AshlaBoga
05.27.2012 , 11:37 AM | #15
For Story mode:

Your healers need 2/5 Rakata and the rest can just be Columi.
Your DPS need Rakata mainhand and offhand.
Your Tank(s) needs at least 3/5 Rakata.

So no one actually needs FULL Rakata but it's really hard to do without some.

Jawgust
05.27.2012 , 12:01 PM | #16
While gear is important (moreso for hardmode), the most important thing about Denova is that every single person knows exactly what they're supposed to be doing at all times, and that the group works in perfect harmony together. Communication is key here. There are extremely well-geared groups on my server who can't get past T&Z or the tanks because they have poor communication and don't work well together, while my group is clearing in an hour and a half because we are all on the ball 100% of the time.

DyasAlue
05.27.2012 , 10:09 PM | #17
Full Rak? Ha, well I'm glad people think gear is greater than skill. Course if you follow my link above I have improved since when I posted that, but it still stands we cleared a lot under geared. We are going to HM next week. I only got my offhand weapon last week, and have yet to go into EC with my new weapon.
Server: Kass City | Name: Bounty | Level: 50 |
Class: | Alignment: IV
Gear

Thoffs
05.28.2012 , 08:41 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzina View Post
This. The DPS requirements on the Kephess bomb carriers is very, very harsh. You can know the mechanics to the N'th degree, but if you don't have the DPS to down these in the time limit, then the ops will fail. I agree that at least the DPS need to be in full rakata or else be extremely skilled players in order to beat this time limit. If anything needs to be relaxed in story mode EC, it would be this single DPS check.

RichyYoung
05.28.2012 , 09:03 AM | #19
I think if everyones in colmuni youll struggle on story mode, expect it to be a long drawn out process with lots of wipes, we couldnt do the last boss after 3 - 4 hours of trying with nearly everyone in full rakata.

Its one of these big differences between a very large and very active guild and a very casual guild. The more casual your guild is the more gear your going to need as exampled by our not even downing one boss in 3 odd hours. The more you learn the mechanics the less gear youll need. Do i think its fair we have taken weeks of wipes just to get this far.. no, but its all a learning curve and we epic to get there eventually.

Just dont listen to all those which say its easy in colmuni, the fight isnt easy and it isnt as easy as saying yes you can do it in colmuni. Some of the DPS races are VERY close even in full rakata.... Some people fail to take group compostitions into account when they are so fast to reply back on how awesome they are since they did it all in less than an hour as fresh 50 becuase they are the bestest.

The more gear the better for your whole group. Expect to wipe a lot and take time learning the mechanics.

If someone goes down, its usually bigtime, becuase someones messed up and missed a mechanic not due to gear, but the gear does give you more of a leway when it comes too small mistakes.

Thoffs
05.28.2012 , 10:56 AM | #20
TL;DR: Just because you have the DPS needed to get past the first three bosses in EC story mode, you may not have the needed DPS for the last fight.

I would like to give one more specific data point on EC story mode and DPS/gearing. I am in a large casual guild that has 10+ ops teams. The team I am with has been struggling with EC story mode, but the other night we went and finally had a good run where we beat the first three bosses. The team had a ranged DPS fill-in with a mixture of Columni/Rakata, and I would grade this person as a 'C' grade dps (first time in EC). We had an alternate melee DPS who had recently moved from a tank role to a DPS role, and so was a 'B' grade dps, and mostly rakata. Everybody else was standard team, all 'A' grade, all full Rakata with 1 or 2 pieces of black hole gear. I will call 'A' grade as full rakata, 1 or 2 pieces of BH gear, and nominally skilled players that have done HM KP/EV with no problems.

So, the next night, we took on Kephess with the same team, except our 'B' grade melee dps could not make it, but the 'A' grade melee dps (full rakata) that had been missing the night before joined us. We were fully expecting to beat Kephess, we had watched vids, knew the mechanics. At least four other ops teams in our guild have cleared Story mode EC, and we were expecting to be another team with that accomplishment.

We failed to take him down and we tried for three hours, because we kept failing on the 3rd bomber, where we just did not have the DPS to kill it when one of our tanks had to deal with Kephess and we lost his DPS on the bomber (we would also occasionally fail on one of the first two bombers as well, like if we had to move slightly because of AOE fire from the walker). So, we had three 'A' grade DPS (two ranged, one melee), two 'A' grade healers, two 'A' grade tanks, and one 'C' grade ranged DPS -- actually slightly better DPS than what we had for the first three EC story bosses, but still not good enough for Kephess. I am certain that if we had our other 'A' grade DPS normal ops member we would have succeeded. This is just a data point on how tight the DPS check is on the bombers in the Kephess fight. In our particular ops team case, we need everybody (at least the dps) in full Rakata.