Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subs down 25%

DarthVindictus
05.21.2012 , 10:49 AM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by ProwlerBCO View Post
Anyone else been keeping tabs with TOR status?

Looking at the population trends shows a massive downturn for standard and heavy servers, with everything else going light. http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

And light servers are the servers where everyone is seeing 10 people online.

This shizz is sad, yo.
Note how it drops around May 15th and the light % goes to 100.

It may be only temporary, and it may not impact subscriptions quite as heavily, but Diablo III has taken a toll on player activity.

When there are people who are NOT playing Diablo III who are in TOR unable to find groups or PVP because of all the people playing Diablo III.. THAT's going to lose subscriptions.

Thamelas
05.21.2012 , 10:52 AM | #132
I think its pretty safe to say SWTOR is going to continue to bleed subscriptions. Mainly, in my opinion, because of a tired dead-end game design. The idea of having people start new characters once they reach max level is ridiculous. In sum, Bioware created a Star Wars themed grind with voice acting, nothing more.

Honestly, developers at Bioware should be reading the handwriting on the wall, and be looking for new places of employment. With subscriber drops like 25%, the game may survive with fewer subscribers, but the employees will not. Its simple mathematics.
SWTOR-Holo.net - Guides for Crew Skills, Datacrons, Flashpoints, Operations, Talent Builds, and more!

JeramieCrowe
05.21.2012 , 10:54 AM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVindictus View Post
Note how it drops around May 15th and the light % goes to 100.

It may be only temporary, and it may not impact subscriptions quite as heavily, but Diablo III has taken a toll on player activity.

When there are people who are NOT playing Diablo III who are in TOR unable to find groups or PVP because of all the people playing Diablo III.. THAT's going to lose subscriptions.
Indeed. It has impacted every game, not just TOR. And I'm willing to bet that Ranked Warzones, at least, will make it in before D3 has PvP.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Mallorik
05.21.2012 , 11:03 AM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Thamelas View Post
I think its pretty safe to say SWTOR is going to continue to bleed subscriptions. Mainly, in my opinion, because of a tired dead-end game design. The idea of having people start new characters once they reach max level is ridiculous. In sum, Bioware created a Star Wars themed grind with voice acting, nothing more.

Honestly, developers at Bioware should be reading the handwriting on the wall, and be looking for new places of employment. With subscriber drops like 25%, the game may survive with fewer subscribers, but the employees will not. Its simple mathematics.
The only thing that matters in an mmo end game is gear progression, if you do that right you can keep more people playing longer, and its true for causals=flashpoints and the more hardcore=fps and raids.

I think this game has enough end game content for how long its been out if you just look at amount of raids and fps. The gear progression which can also translate into incentives have not been very well thought out.

Things like dual specs and lfg tools also factor in, most people do not mind "working" to progress but the majority of people do not consider sitting in fleet and spamming lfg to fill out your raid or get a flahpoint going to be acceptable "work", its more like a punishment.

Im not saying all those things will bring people back and yeah this game needs alot more fixes in different areas, but fix those (after server transfers) and they will start retaining subs.

tkinnunzero
05.21.2012 , 11:16 AM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
The only thing that matters in an mmo end game is gear progression, if you do that right you can keep more people playing longer, and its true for causals=flashpoints and the more hardcore=fps and raids.
Don't forget that gear progression can also mean getting cool-looking gear rather than just gear with better stats. SWTOR getting wardrobes would help gearing immensely.
How is (my cooking / SWTOR's Legacy in 1.3)?
- It is NOT that bad.

JeramieCrowe
05.21.2012 , 11:18 AM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by tkinnunzero View Post
Don't forget that gear progression can also mean getting cool-looking gear rather than just gear with better stats. SWTOR getting wardrobes would help gearing immensely.
SWTOR already has wardrobes. You just have to work a bit for them, which actually adds to the carrot.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

tkinnunzero
05.21.2012 , 11:25 AM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
SWTOR already has wardrobes. You just have to work a bit for them, which actually adds to the carrot.
They are not proper wardrobes.
  • You can't use green gear for their looks.
  • You can't move all set bonuses to moddable gear.
  • Some moddable gear has more stats than other same-armor, same-slot gear, even with exact same mods.

I'd like to have proper wardrobes or these fixed. I think proper wardrobes would be easier to do than making all green gear moddable.
How is (my cooking / SWTOR's Legacy in 1.3)?
- It is NOT that bad.

JeramieCrowe
05.21.2012 , 12:16 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by tkinnunzero View Post
They are not proper wardrobes.
  • You can't use green gear for their looks. - Almost every green appearance has an orange version. All of them, actually, according to Emmanuel Lusinchi
  • You can't move all set bonuses to moddable gear. - Yet. The fix is coming.
  • Some moddable gear has more stats than other same-armor, same-slot gear, even with exact same mods. - Such as? I have several 50s and haven't run into this yet...

I'd like to have proper wardrobes or these fixed. I think proper wardrobes would be easier to do than making all green gear moddable.
Easier? Probably. That's probably why they refer to it as "lazy design". Personally, I prefer this mod system over a silly UI overlay any day.

Mallorik
05.21.2012 , 12:33 PM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Easier? Probably. That's probably why they refer to it as "lazy design". Personally, I prefer this mod system over a silly UI overlay any day.
Where did you hear that they were making all the set bonuses transferable? They did it fine on the test server, the only reason they did not implement it is becuse a few people screamed about equipment they had already modded.

Tovox
05.21.2012 , 12:45 PM | #140
I am truly praying and hoping that BW loses 50%-75% of its sub base so that they learn a lesson about customer service. I refuse to pay for a single player game (due to the low population on my server) with no end in sight. Had BW kept its sub base informed about important community issues maybe this would have never happened. I will not be resubing till answers are givien or merges and transfers take place.
█≣█ị█ị█ị█ị█ị●ịδ‾▩=(████████████████████████████) CE Pre-Order VIP