Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

On Companions

Drackkor
12.06.2012 , 10:33 PM | #71
I'm thinking of either going free to play or quiting for a while until they come up with companions in flashpoints. When you get to lvl 50 in this game its just like every mmo all about loot and raids. I didn't join OR to do this I thought it was a story driven mmo not a loot one.

Vhaegrant
12.07.2012 , 05:18 AM | #72
Just typed this up on another, smaller, thread on companions thought I'd add it here as well. Most of the suggestions seem to be focused on companion story lines, increasing the options of romances and making the companions feel as if they are more alive.

I have two main issues with companions in their current form, lack of flexibility and lack of variation at end game.

Having unlocked six characters to 50 now and also unlocked all of the associated alts to maximum affection finishing all companion conversations (a nice +300 presence bonus) I find it slightly dissapointing that I only ever seem to use one companion per character.

I have found my play style when soloing the dailies greatly favours the healer companion, very rarely need any down time between combats and their Crowd Control ability helps in some of the tougher combats.

Having seen the HK-51 companion become an unlockable comapnion for other characters (all be it for 1,000,000 credits each) after the initial quest it got me to thinking of how feasable it would be to allow fully unlocked companions to be opened up for use on other level 50 character you have.

I wouldn't have this as a new companion to have affection rating increased or even usable to run missions (you still have your normal companions for the class to do all of that). Rather it just opens the companion up for use. Any gear modification or customisation options would still have to be done on the companions original character.

Secondly, and perhaps an easier option, I'd also like to see the option to change the focus of a companion to any one of the five styles (Healer, melee tank, ranged tank, melee dps, ranged dps). I find this an unfortunate restriction as I believe in the Beta or before companions had kits that allowed the player to choose which role they filled. In my opinion this would be a far better option allowing for greater player attachment to their character and companion set ups.

This also aids greatly in some of the issues I had while levelling a character and not yet having access to the companion that fitted my playstyle. My first playthrough was with a Powertech and Mako was such a natural fit that I never had another companion out aside from a brief spell with Torian during the Belsavis dailies. I am however dreading playing my healer specced mercenary as I know both tanking companions are only available much later on (and one of them I can't stand, Skadge I'm looking at you).

As noted above I greatly favour having a healer companion out for my characters and yet with the exception of Mako I hate, well perhaps that's a bit strong and best reserved for Skadge, I dislike all the Imperial healers for other classes. While I really enjoy romping around on my marauder the whiny nasal tones following me around from Malavai starts to niggle. I would much rather have Vette by my side with a belt full of Kolto grenades.

With a little creativity and imagination there is no reason why a companion can't fill any of the five styles of support.

Combining the above two suggestion would open up the possibility of a character at end game having access to a rota of 40 companions to run around with all of them having the same viability.

iamthehoyden
12.07.2012 , 12:12 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
Added in the need for Covert Armor to show skin with all of the companions. Vector has a fan club that would like him to loose his prudish undershirt!
Him and Aric both. Makes me wonder what they have under there

I do have to wonder if Aric will get rid of his undershirt when the cathar race is released if it's a case of needing to change the underlying model's color patterns because of race. But then that brings up the question of what the heck is going on with Vector?
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Damask_Rose
12.15.2012 , 11:52 AM | #74
Maybe Vector's undershirt has pockets for fingerlings?
Unity 3d tutorials http://www.burgzergarcade.com/
Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks
http://www.swtor.com/r/Z9xhHv

YeIIow
12.15.2012 , 01:36 PM | #75
/singed

Refering to the Original post, i really hope to see at least 25% of those things implemented in one way or another! very good work!

MollyDresden
12.17.2012 , 02:00 AM | #76
I haven't read all the posts, but I fully support practically all the ideas presented in the original post and would love to see them done!

I'd also like to add one thing that I think is actually a bug that needs fixing: I put a covert armor (invisible chest piece) on Quinn, and most of the time it shows as it should. But when I have companion conversations with him, magically his original shirt is back on. (And my warrior wants to smack him and demand to know when she gave him permission to put his shirt back on.) I've also seen this happen with head gear when 'hide head gear' is checked, particularly with class quests.

Damask_Rose
01.02.2013 , 06:47 PM | #77
The state of the game #2 has two tidbits for companion lovers!

1. Under Elder Game "Overall, we’re aiming to introduce a more diverse array of activities – more stuff to do with your Companion, more challenges to tackle with groups, and more reasons for guilds to recruit." I so want details!

2. Under Same Gender Romance "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character." At least for now SGR will be with NPCs and not companions, which will disappoint many people.
Unity 3d tutorials http://www.burgzergarcade.com/
Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks
http://www.swtor.com/r/Z9xhHv

YeIIow
01.04.2013 , 08:48 AM | #78
very good resumen, i just saw a couple things missing there, in my opinion:

- We shoudn't be forced to gift-spam them in order to gain enougth affection to advance on their conversations, something on this regard should be implemented, either by increasing affection gained by conversations, or reducing max affection level, or some other way, so that while u still need to use some gift now and then, it is not a MUST SPAM THEM situation....

- The Companion Gift preferences should be displayed on the in-game Codex at their bio on the Important Person entries, so that people don't have to minimise the game when they have some doubt about what companion liked what kind of gift.

-----------------------------------------------
EDIT:

u should add this too:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=522619
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

AgentJacen
02.09.2013 , 10:10 PM | #79
I like your ideas and hope to see them in-game.
"Only I've been both Jedi and Sith, and found clarity in the force." -Revan

Trooper_One
02.09.2013 , 10:43 PM | #80
I've always wanted the companions to have more of a role in our story. As it stands now they are pretty much just sidekicks who follow us around and shoot stuff/tank/heal or whatever.

For example, I know that in the early stages of the game, you actually had opportunities to kill companions or let them die, depending on your choices. I would like for this to be brought back, but with someone to replace the newly-deceased companion. For example, companion X cannot put up with my opposite alignment and betrays me; I kill them, and a new character (not a random character, but someone I know/have worked with before) comes and takes their place. Or maybe, instead of that, we get companions depending on our alignment or story choices; similar to KotOR 2: TSL where we could get either Mira or Hanharr depending on if we were light or dark sided. It always frustrates me how I get stuck with some companions whose alignment is completely opposite to my character's for the beginning of the game, and how they never agree with anything I do. Having the ability to get more personalized companions, or even to kill certain ones and have them replaced would add a whole new level of replay value to the classes.

Finally, for the love of Kashyyk, unless a companion is a robot, I want to be able to romance them, regardless of species. If Commander Shepard can have a relationship with Tali, the 24/7 enviro-suit Quarian; or with Garrus, the completely human-incompatible Turian, then why can't it happen in Star Wars? Why can't my Trooper have a relationship with Yuun or Tanno Vik? Or a Smuggler with Languss Tuno? I just think it's pretty limiting for some classes to only get 1 or 2 romances and only with human or near-human companions. Bringing up Mass Effect 2 again, the only non-robot crew members who couldn't be romanced were Grunt and Mordin, and they had legitimate reasons. Grunt's true love was gratuitous amounts of violence, and Mordin was a Salarian who didn't really give a crap about love or romance.

TL;DR version: Let us kill companions and replace them with companions more attuned to our alignment, have different companions based on alignment and give us more variety in our companion romance plots.

/end rant
I've worn out always being afraid,
An endless stream of fear that I've made;
Treading water full of worry,
This frantic tick tick talk of hurry