Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which class has (in your opinion) overall the best and which the worst companions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Which class has (in your opinion) overall the best and which the worst companions?

Celacia
05.14.2012 , 07:35 PM | #11
I love the agent companions. There is not a one I would wish off my ship. They're interesting to me, even Temple, who annoys the hell out of me with her rigid pro-Imperial stance. I will say that it is kind of like running a floating insane asylum, though - no one on my agent's crew is quite right, including her.

The bounty hunter crew is all pretty good at being who they are. Even Skadge, for whom I have a deep and burning hatred is good at being a nasty, predatory, psychopath. I find Mako annoying, but not as much as Temple or Vette.

The Smuggler companions are all kind of boring to me.

The SI companions are also kind of meh, except for Khem and the sweet little archaeologist, both of whom I adore.

Quinn is fun to play with, like a mouse to my SW's cat, and I find Vette extremely annoying. They are really the only SW companions I have interacted with personally, at least. I like Pierce, but my SW doesn't have him yet, so I can't really give an informed opinion.

FigeroMentel
05.15.2012 , 10:22 AM | #12
The BH wins both.

Mako and Torian are two of the best companions in the game, and the rest are completely useless.

That's not to say they are annoying or uninteresting. Each of them had a great place in what I think is the greatest storyline in the game.

The best set of companions on the whole are the inquisitors', as I constantly mixed and matched them for the situation.
Martha Mentel Dahlquist Mentel
Figero Mentel Carvala Mentel
Annek Mentel Jelal Mentel

NovaNoir
05.15.2012 , 08:20 PM | #13
Qyzen Fess is the best bro you could ask for in a companion.

C2-N2 is the worst. If ship droids don't count, then Zenith.

Mutive
05.16.2012 , 05:34 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Celacia View Post
I love the agent companions. There is not a one I would wish off my ship. They're interesting to me, even Temple, who annoys the hell out of me with her rigid pro-Imperial stance. I will say that it is kind of like running a floating insane asylum, though - no one on my agent's crew is quite right, including her.
Hah hah hah. I love that about the agent companions, too.

I also like the trooper companions, although the ship seriously feels like a pep rally. I so need Tanno Vik to break up the "For the Republic!" battle cry that I'm fairly sure appears every freaking time I talk to Garza. I genuinely like them all (Forex cracks me up, I seriously want to know Elara IRL, and I genuinely like Aric). But...seriously. There is so much Republic pride going on that I find myself rolling my eyes at it half the time.

For worst, I nominate counselor. Let's see...we have:

1. A scary lizard who talks in some weird rambly monotone that is totally incomprehensible without subtitles. His culture is sort of cool, but I'm also a bit like, "Oh, come on. So you were kidnapped and now YOUR LIFE IS OVER FOREVER AND EVER?" Get with it, evil emo lizard.

2. A man with an incredibly grating voice who has a creepy, co-dependent relationship with his perfect woman. Who, um, isn't a real woman, just something he programmed. To top it off, he's intolerably smarmy and intolerably arrogant.

3. Okay, so Zenith is pretty cool. Not going to badmouth him.

4. A guy who, while not bad, is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

5. A needy, whiny teen who, if you romance her, forms a co-dependent force bond (with you, her teacher), writes ghastly poetry in what I'm fairly sure is a Trapper Keeper, and basically gives me the creeps. (It's a bit like watching Will Scheuster on Glee hit on Rachel Barry and both of them lapping it up. Just...ewwww...)

It's honestly like the cast of horrors. I'm seriously hoping that the writers were *intending* for it to be that bad, because otherwise...IDEK.

iamthehoyden
05.16.2012 , 06:56 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Mutive View Post

1. A scary lizard who talks in some weird rambly monotone that is totally incomprehensible without subtitles. His culture is sort of cool, but I'm also a bit like, "Oh, come on. So you were kidnapped and now YOUR LIFE IS OVER FOREVER AND EVER?" Get with it, evil emo lizard.
Thank you, forever and always now, Qyzen will be emo lizard to me. Too funny!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
05.16.2012 , 06:58 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Mutive View Post

2. A man with an incredibly grating voice who has a creepy, co-dependent relationship with his perfect woman. Who, um, isn't a real woman, just something he programmed. To top it off, he's intolerably smarmy and intolerably arrogant.

3. Okay, so Zenith is pretty cool. Not going to badmouth him.

4. A guy who, while not bad, is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

5. A needy, whiny teen who, if you romance her, forms a co-dependent force bond (with you, her teacher), writes ghastly poetry in what I'm fairly sure is a Trapper Keeper, and basically gives me the creeps. (It's a bit like watching Will Scheuster on Glee hit on Rachel Barry and both of them lapping it up. Just...ewwww...)

It's honestly like the cast of horrors. I'm seriously hoping that the writers were *intending* for it to be that bad, because otherwise...IDEK.
Ha! Your description of Nadia is...is...maybe I won't level my consular after all, because that sounds hilarious in a "I don't actually want to spend time on it" kind of way.

Tell me, does Tharan Cedrax do as much transparent meta-commentary on players' relationships with their NPCs as he has the potential for? Because it seems like the perfect setup for it...

As for #1, can I trade you for the Wookiee? Conversation 1: I WAS A SLAVE. 2: I WAS A SLAVE. 3: I WAS A SLAVE. 4: I hate Trandoshans, also I WAS A SLAVE.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

NovaNoir
05.16.2012 , 09:17 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Ha! Your description of Nadia is...is...maybe I won't level my consular after all, because that sounds hilarious in a "I don't actually want to spend time on it" kind of way.

Tell me, does Tharan Cedrax do as much transparent meta-commentary on players' relationships with their NPCs as he has the potential for? Because it seems like the perfect setup for it...

As for #1, can I trade you for the Wookiee? Conversation 1: I WAS A SLAVE. 2: I WAS A SLAVE. 3: I WAS A SLAVE. 4: I hate Trandoshans, also I WAS A SLAVE.
Tharan, unfortunately, does not. Although that might actually differ if you try to romance him, from what I have heard; I will wait for someone else to chime in.

Qyzen is a great companion if you are at all interested in looking at things from another perspective. His culture is very, very different to our own, and at least in my opinion, trying to see the world how he sees it is pretty interesting.

He is also the only companion who continuously treats me with respect and likes me for my achievements outside of being a Jedi, so there's that.

AshlaBoga
05.16.2012 , 02:09 PM | #18
I'd have to say that either Jedi Knight or Smuggler has the best companions.
As for the worst? Either the Bounty Hunter or the Imperial Agent.
Why? Well I really like Kira and the crazy Zabrak.
As for the latter, I really find the BH's companions to be dull, and I HATE Kaliyo. If killing Kaliyo was an option I would take it 100% of the time. I'd reroll just to kill Kaliyo.

Crezelle
05.16.2012 , 02:38 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
I'd have to say that either Jedi Knight or Smuggler has the best companions.
As for the worst? Either the Bounty Hunter or the Imperial Agent.
Why? Well I really like Kira and the crazy Zabrak.
As for the latter, I really find the BH's companions to be dull, and I HATE Kaliyo. If killing Kaliyo was an option I would take it 100% of the time. I'd reroll just to kill Kaliyo.
im unlocking sith pureblood so i can slap her silly
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

Eanelinea
05.16.2012 , 09:02 PM | #20
It's funny, when I first heard we'd get companions and who got what, etc, I was a little 'meh' about it. Then I leveled a bunch of them, got my companions, and even though their are a fair few that I wish I could vaporize, my characters need and love each member of their crew/their spouses.

The agent companions, you could not look for a more weird bunch of out of place people to be your crew. You have Kaliyo, who is antisocial and a massive liar, but won't leave you cause she likes you for her own reasons. Vector, who is a diplomat and a joiner who's main family before you were insects, but when he becomes your husband, would rather stay with you than go back. Doctor Lokin who you KNOW is up to something he shouldn't be, but without him you wouldn't have found out more about Vector's back story. Ensign Temple who wants so much to be an agent like you, but is also loyal to the Empire (which is weird because my Agent basically said 'screw you all, I'm free and on my own, don't call me, I'll call you) and Scorpio who wants nothing more than to gut you and feed your entrails to any animal nearby. But my agent still considers all of them her family.

The sith warrior companions make me giggle and fit in pretty well. You have Vette who was a slave and becomes your BFF. Quinn who does his thing, but becomes completely loyal to you afterwards (and is my warrior's spouse...was NOT going to end that relationship. He's handsome, smart, and his voice is to drool over). Jaesa (light side for me). She's a tad boring, but she's loyal to you and her quest to find fellow Light Sided Sith. She's a good gal. Pierce who reminds me of Gunnery Sergeants in boot camp. lol Never ever hit that. Too grumpy and he didn't like Quinn. And Broonmark, who for some reason decides to come along for the ride after you let him do his thing on Hoth.

The smuggler gets her farm boy, who is sweet and 'aw shucks' about stuff, but will still shoot you in the face. Bowdaar basically worships the ground you walk on, especially if you tell him he's not a slave anymore and can do whatever he wants. Risha irks me alot, but my smuggler is starting to warm up to her. Akavaai is your token Mandalorian, but she's cool peeps. I like to sometimes pair her with Risha in my head. Guss cracks me up.

I am in total lust with Doc on the Jedi Knight side. When my Jedi met him, she was so full of lust she wanted to drop to her knees and beg for him to be her man, because he doesn't take 40 thousand years to basically tell you he thinks you're hot and wants her blue booty. It's a nice change from the LI companions who either act uninterested (Quinn), act too gentlemanly (Corso), too blunt and gruff (Andronikos), too innocent (Torian), or too doesn't get the picture (Vector). Doc just comes right out and says 'how YOU doooooing, baby. Let's hop in my car and make the windows fog up. *sigh*

I love the LI people so far. Thought I would hate Corso, didn't. Thought Quinn was too uptight (wasn't), thought Andronikos was too Barry White for me (reminds me of my own real life husband, especially the marriage proposal). Wow. I actually like all my companions, even though some I never play with or stop the moment I get my LI.