Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Download, Repair, Repeat - 2 weeks of launcher woes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Download, Repair, Repeat - 2 weeks of launcher woes.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Trungal
05.14.2012 , 09:15 AM | #1
I've followed everything in the sticky, memtest, chkdsk, nic drivers, no over-clocking, memory configuration correct... etc. I've done clean installs and copied files from a working laptop and tried to patch over top, both reacted similarly.

Even had support from Symantec check over Security Suite because I thought it could be the problem...

Nothing has made the patch process work since I upgraded to a SSD a couple of weeks ago.

It downloads the movies if needed, then proceeds to download the 11+ gig of Main Assest 1. After the download, between 10% and 70% of the way through it just stops and the repair link pops up. Click repair and a .tor file gets repaired back to the Nov 20011 version. After repair, it begins the 11+ gig download again.

In 14 days this month, I've doubled my usage on my ISP and they are looking to suspend my account for over 400 gigs in 2 weeks.

Since I can copy the files from a working machine is there any way for me to tell it not to patch, just run with what is in the assests folder? Is it possible to just download the files it thinks are corrupted instead of 11+ gigs every single pass? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Launcher Log file:
Spoiler

Kindajenin
05.14.2012 , 09:27 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Trungal,

Can you please do the following:
  • Delete all version files in your SWTOR folder.
  • Re-install the Launcher.
  • Re add the exceptions of swtor.exe and launcher.exe to your firewall.
  • Perform a clean boot of your system
  • Please attempt to re patch the game.
Please come back to this thread with any updates.
Kindajenin| BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

rjkishida
05.14.2012 , 10:02 AM | #3
Notice they refuse to admit that Bioware is at fault in any way? For a PATCHER problem?

Surebleak
05.14.2012 , 10:40 AM | #4
I'm interested in the how their suggestion lines up with his ISP suspending him for over-usage...

Trungal
05.14.2012 , 12:00 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Surebleak View Post
I'm interested in the how their suggestion lines up with his ISP suspending him for over-usage...
I don't think they really can address it. It's my responsiblity not to bust the limit, and for now it's just a warning really. I should have thought about it really with all the downloads. I wouldn't want to have to stop playing over the usage limits though.

It would be nice if they could consider a future with a patcher that doesn't download all the assests every time it tries. I guess that's good hindsight though. If you never imagined the patcher would repeatably fail, you wouldn't think downloading 11+ gigs would be a problem.

I'll report back the results this evening. Some of those changes sound plausible, if not probable and I'm still optimistic.

Trungal
05.15.2012 , 06:45 AM | #6
Nothing new to report. I followed each step as requested, and everything was initally looking promising. Then again, a 11+ gb download on a throttled connection looks promising when you see any movement.

The first attempt resulted in a hard crash to the desktop. I restarted the launcher and since the compressed assests were still on the drive a new download wasn't done. It only made it 10% into the second pass before going to "Repair".

My second attempt, I followed your suggestions again, deleting the version files and such. It never got past downloading the movies on this attempt.

Both the hard crash and the repair during the movie downloads are new to me, but unfortunately they still don't get me any closer to clean install. DxDiag to follow:

Logs:
Spoiler

Trungal
05.15.2012 , 06:45 AM | #7
DxDiag:
Spoiler

dprijadi
05.15.2012 , 06:51 AM | #8
OP, i too have encounter this problem and posted in customer service forum.. my advice to you :

- STOP YOU DOWNLOADING RIGHT NOW.. its useless no matter how much you download..
- Delete every bit of SWTOR from your computer, uninstall it and then DELETE the game folder AND the swtor files in /my documents
- Reinstall fresh from Disk , preferably on another / different drive / path / directory
- Run it , Update it / Patch it
- Done..
- Before you play, this is what you should do : COPY all your working SWTOR folder into an external harddisk, do this before every patch day.. if something goes wrong again , just remove your SWTOR folder on your computer and copy the folder from the harddisk to your computer

OR :
- IF you got friends that also play SWTOR and dont have problems with their client, just COPY all their SWTOR folder and then put them on your computer (Delete your old folder 1st)

DiabloDoom
05.15.2012 , 06:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Trungal View Post
Nothing has made the patch process work since I upgraded to a SSD a couple of weeks ago.
This .

dprijadi
05.15.2012 , 07:02 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DiabloDoom View Post
This .
SSD shouldnt be a difference, the OS will treat it just like any magnetic drives..

i play on 3 computers, 2 with the usual magnetic drives, 1 with SSD, all works , SSD is a bit faster though