Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Bioware,Why do you hate the exile?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Dear Bioware,Why do you hate the exile?

Dokar
05.13.2012 , 08:51 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Because she wasn't their character, they didn't make the game so nothing of Kotor 2 is theirs. They may have a few small reference elements in the game, but they can't really use what isn't theirs to begin with.
Carth Onasi and HK-47 are in both Kotor and Kotor II

HK-47 was also in SOE's SWG

GhoXen
05.13.2012 , 08:52 AM | #12
Most of the events that happened in KOTOR2 were behind the scenes. The only people in SWTOR who may actually know who Exile was are probably just Revan and Scourge by now.

Rayla_Felana
05.13.2012 , 08:53 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by GhoXen View Post
Most of the events that happened in KOTOR2 were behind the scenes. The only people in SWTOR who may actually know who Exile was are probably just Revan and Scourge by now.
She had become famous by the end of KotOR 2 in four of the most important worlds in the Republic and rebuilt the Jedi Order itself.

Also, even in their own game she is mentioned as a great Jedi hero by both the Hero of Tython and Lord Scourge himself.

What BioWare stated doesn't match canon.

MaximusRex
05.13.2012 , 08:59 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vektarulz View Post
YET..they base info off a book,that has the exile and revan in it...so they use that lore meaning they have the rights to it anyway...
Not necessarily. IP is a very complicated legal field. I would guess they don't have direct rights to the Exile, since they never refer to her by her name, or as the Exile, in game, as far as I have seen.

I would say the most similar case I have seen is with Lord of the Rings Online, thye only have rights to use material from The Hobbit and the LOTR Trilogy, so any information that comes from other source material such as Tolkiens letters or the Similarion, cannot be referenced directly. Since LOTRO is such a lore driven game, they get around this by either using vague references, or by "renaming" characters by using a different language version of their name, similar to how Gandalf is called Mithrandir by the Elves.

I would say that within reason they created a lore link, but did so in a way that ensured they weren't legally obligated to the creator.

JacenHallis
05.13.2012 , 08:59 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
It's like watching Tim Burton makes a Care Bears movie.
... or a Dark Shadows movie.

I'll be over here grumbling like an elderly person.

On topic, though, I always got the feeling that the Exile's story happened very much in secret. Not necessarily in secret, but just that the galaxy as a whole just didn't care. It was called the Jedi Civil War, after all. It was a conflict between Jedi, and the general populace couldn't care less about it if it didn't affect them. And weren't Sion and Nihilus pretty much just going after Jedi?

I just got the idea playing the game that, unlike Revan and Malak or Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-droma, the trio of Sion, Nihilus and Traya, important as they may be to the story and to the events that happened surrounding that story (such as the Miraluka colony's death), just didn't achieve that notoriety they needed for anyone but the most specialized Jedi historians to take much note of. And most of the Jedi had died by that point.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Darth_Moonshadow
05.13.2012 , 09:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Didn't stop them from killing her off to have an excuse to put their baby Revan in this game.
You mean like how Obsideon killed Vandar?

A YODA, I might add, and is the reason Bioware had to go to Lucas to get permission for a second one.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Rayla_Felana
05.13.2012 , 09:00 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
Not necessarily. IP is a very complicated legal field. I would guess they don't have direct rights to the Exile, since they never refer to her by her name, or as the Exile, in game, as far as I have seen.
Scourge and the Jedi Knight refer to her as the Jedi Exile.

Rayla_Felana
05.13.2012 , 09:01 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
You mean like how Obsideon killed Vandar?

A YODA, I might add, and is the reason Bioware had to go to Lucas to get permission for a second one.
Vandar? you mean that background character you see... what? three or four times?

Wolfninjajedi
05.13.2012 , 09:07 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Dokar View Post
Carth Onasi and HK-47 are in both Kotor and Kotor II

HK-47 was also in SOE's SWG
That may be, but you weren't really playing as them in Kotor 2(main character wise) and in SWG....he was a boss. I would assume, that they had to ask if they could use the characters. Doing something out of the blue with a character(Mara Jade) isn't really liked amongst people, and is usually frowned upon especially when the person or group who did such things didn't ask before hand.

Sides this game is more based on Kotor, not the 2nd one. There could be some references sure, but thats about it and in game the Exile isn't referred to by name.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Darth_Moonshadow
05.13.2012 , 09:11 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Vandar? you mean that background character you see... what? three or four times?
A YODA character. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a Yoda? Not just a Yoda, but a SECOND one? Lucas does not just anyone who asks a Yoda. You want to add a Twi'lek, go for it. Wookiee, Do what you please. You wanna make Sam Witwer into a Marty sue secret apprentice to Darth Vader and have him found the Rebel Alliance, have three games to do so!

But a Yoda? You may as well be asking your girlfriend for permission to doink her really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY hot sister and her equally hot best friend.

Yodas are not a joke, man. This is serious.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B