Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Tanking Issue?

konstan
05.14.2012 , 09:13 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by pure_laced View Post
Like the example above, I also pugged out of the niceness of my heart a KP and had the EXACT same issue as the previous poster. I was called a "Bad Tank" because of Bonethrasher.
Priceless!

My experience is: I have been told on some occasions "wow this is so easy, you're such a good tank" and on others "go read up on tanking, you dont know what your doing" and one guy went into general chat and announced to everyone how I could not hold aggro.

If I pug and someone starts their "c'mon people this should be a 10 minute run" crap, I remove them from group if I am the leader, or quit the group if I am not.

As for "explaining the fights and stuff", well, someone had to explain it to me the 1st time. I don't mind explaining a fight to a competent person. Its a good way to make friends in this game.
"Good relations with the wookies I have"

hulkweazel
05.14.2012 , 09:51 AM | #22
I wanted to try tanking in an MMO, so I leveled a powertech to 50 as my main.

It was stressful. Too many spread out groups of mobs that makes it a chore to keep aggro on, too many aggro wipes on bosses and I had the most responsibility for every fight.

Which would have been fine except for the fact that baddies tend to always blame tanks for a wipe and never give praise for a success.

Tanking is a thankless job, especially in this game. You have to REALLY enjoy it in order to do it on a regular basis, and even then, most are not willing to pug with strangers if they can't help it.

Me personally, I rerolled an Op healer and never looked back. My powertech now is does nothing but send companions out on crew skills now though I will tank for guildies when needed.

CitizenFry
05.14.2012 , 10:05 AM | #23
Actually, I find tanking the most interesting role in this game. My first character was a sage healer, and I spent all my time looking at the group's HP bars rather than what was going on. My second character was a sentinel, and I spent all my time looking at my action bar and resources, trying to figure out which attack to use next. Then I made a Vanguard tank, and now I actually look at what's happening on the screen. I finally get to see Jedi jumping around with lightsabers flashing and troopers firing missiles and whatnot, it's great!

RattyRattail
05.14.2012 , 10:06 AM | #24
I really liked the way Rift handled this issue. They made it so that there was actually a reward for decently geared players to run the top tier dungeons again. Basically, you would have bonuses that accumulated daily up to seven. In order to receive the bonus you had to run a random dungeon. At the end of the dungeon you would then receive commendations for the higher tiered items. It also gave you alternate advancement XP as well. Enough to gain a level and a point. to spend in one of the trees.

Bioware could bring in this same concept ecspecially with the release of 1.3 and the LFG tool. Geared players from all around can then queue in order to get their bonues. You could make it so that each bonus would give one Black Hole Commendation per bonus point, and maybe a decent amount of legacy xp as well.
Makoan Legacy (Jedi Covenant)
Javán - 55 Sniper | Dhiya - 55 Shadow
Cáde - 55 Gunslinger | Nermall - 55 Assassin

toemanfu
05.14.2012 , 02:48 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
[*]pugs don't hit spacebar - This is never more evident than when I make the mistake of pugging Kaon to finish up the weekly quest.[/list]
Hate this aspect of it. Especially with BT. How many times have you run BT? The story doesnt change. If one of the persons hasnt been to the FP, it is understandable....Usually Battle of Illum or False Emperor since they are in the middle of nowhere.

I do PuG a lot, mainly to give me something to do. Hate it when people pull or not attack my target.

Mustelidaen
05.14.2012 , 04:12 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by RattyRattail View Post
I really liked the way Rift handled this issue. They made it so that there was actually a reward for decently geared players to run the top tier dungeons again. Basically, you would have bonuses that accumulated daily up to seven. In order to receive the bonus you had to run a random dungeon. At the end of the dungeon you would then receive commendations for the higher tiered items. It also gave you alternate advancement XP as well. Enough to gain a level and a point. to spend in one of the trees.

Bioware could bring in this same concept especially(sp.) with the release of 1.3 and the LFG tool. Geared players from all around can then queue in order to get their bonues. You could make it so that each bonus would give one Black Hole Commendation per bonus point, and maybe a decent amount of legacy xp as well.
I formally submitted this kind of idea to Bioware a few days ago, and it would not take until 1.3.

It is a five-day fix.

FORMAL REQUEST TO BIOWARE FOR SOFTWARE CHANGE
CODE NAME: "Light at the End of the Carrot"

Update 01 05/10/12: Please mirror on the Republic side.

Purpose: To give almost everyone at any Level 50 gearing level major incentive to log in several times a week--giving them something desirable and useful to do, and to complement/prepare for the new LFG tool (for HM flashpoints).

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...ght=day+fix%21

olagaton
05.14.2012 , 04:40 PM | #27
To the OP, be glad you actually have the rest of the players to fill out the raid, and are only missing a tank.

I work full time, play odd, random hours, and can't find any consistent groups or raids to run anything when I'm on. The game isn't very solo friendly, and there are too many MMO's out there thinning out the populations of available players.

MidichIorian
05.14.2012 , 04:56 PM | #28
I did not read all the replies so this might have been brought up already but the weekly/daily HM challenges can be beaten without a tank on BT HM. You dont even need four real players for BT HM, I've ran it on several occassions with 2 dps + healer + dps companion. An actual healer is to prefer though. Granted that it's not all that fun to play BT HM all the time but it's atleast do'able.

I have to agree with you on the lack of tanks though but I think it will improve once all the people who diiscovered that tankassins were great for PvP, and decided to roll them just because of that, reach 50. Not sure why not more people want to play as tanks, perhaps they find it a bit stale or simply don't want to shoulder a role that in many cases carry the success and/or failure of a raid/HM. I have a tankassin too at a level where I in theory should be able to tank in pre-50 FP'es but since I've never played a tank class before I'm a bit unsure on how and what to do and I've had enough of angry co-players. The latter is a problem, I've played a lot of games over the years, at times on a semi-professional, level but this is my first MMO and some of my felllow players take the cake in being unpleasant. It's like only a few of the most casual ones play it for the experience, the rest are just looking for the reward at the end and all hell breaks lose the second someone makes a mistake that delays that reward.

Herb_Burger
05.15.2012 , 12:48 AM | #29
To OP, as a player on MDN with toons on both sides, you must be on Imperial side. My Shadow tank rarely gets a group for anything despite spamming general to hell. That and it seems every guild on Republic side only needs healers and dps. So from personal experience it does seem there are way more tanks for Republic than Imperial. In fact it is a common occurence for me to log into my Imp toon and see several groups looking for a tank and then log onto my Tank on Rep side and see nothing. It's a bit sad really. So essentially if you want a tank, you should reroll Republic.

vojinsa
05.15.2012 , 07:35 AM | #30
Why would any tank step one boot inside a FP when SM EV/KP takes almost the same time (give or take) and they are easy as pie. for anyone that played Wow just imagine FP = Heroic Deadmines and OP = Forge of Souls with nicer rewards.
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.