Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Tanking Issue?

Dhariq
05.14.2012 , 03:02 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by swtorxpand View Post
i hear you brah....
tanking for pugs is like a box of chocolate,
you never know what you gonna get....
More like a box of vomit in my oppinion. Also the constant cc of the tank, aggro wipes etc makes it so I rather not tank for pugs as I do not like to submit myself to beeing called bad by an idiot.
Also it seems that tank threat scale very badly. If you go 100% into mitigation and a dps goes 100% damage it will pan out so your only way to keep aggro is to taunt and that is booring. Sure you can keep the important stuff allright but alot of the population playing these games demand that you tank like they are used to in wow (which mean the tank(s) should always have every mob on them). Sure they are the ones not understanding how it works here but it is this game that suffers for it when tanks refuse to tank for the general population of the game.

Grizm
05.14.2012 , 03:16 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by LFDUVEZ View Post
I was in False Emperor last boss... then he punt me I got teleported outside. The group had their daily and their loot. I got NOTHING.
That's not a bug, he killed you. If he knocks you back off of one of the ledges, you die instantly.

Re: Tanking

I've been tanking on my PT alt lately simply because that's the character I have that is the most in-demand. Some of the fights are pretty frustrating. I hated Kaon Under Siege, while the DPS loved it.

I usually mark a target with the yellow crosshairs icon as the kill target. That's what I want them to focus on while I round up the rest. Yet time after time that target is the last to die. Why? Why is focusing on one mob out of a pack that hard? When a tank tells you to kill "this target first," why would you hit anything other than that target? It defies logic. Is there some kind of setting where people can't see target markers?

I have dps in groups attacking immediately, before I can even hit a mob once. If I can't get on the threat table, it's not coming for me, it's coming for you. This shouldn't be hard to understand. I shouldn't have to taunt everything. Taunt should be for emergencies. Let me hit the darn things before you nuke it.

It doesn't surprise me at all that tanks are hiding among their guilds right now.

Mordeguy
05.14.2012 , 04:18 AM | #13
I tank so much for my guild that by the time I would even get a chance to take a pug group I'd be finished tanking for the day. And on raid days I avoid HM FPs completely.

Honestly, find a guild that you know has a couple active tanks and join. Just don't beg for runs as soon as you do.

SpoeMeister
05.14.2012 , 05:20 AM | #14
Powertech Tank on the Lord Calypho server. I tank PUG's all the time, because of my current inactive guild. I usually work with the same healer, so we control the group. If any DPS fails to do what we tell them to do (kill order, tank goes first, etc.), we just blatently kill them. We make this perfectly clear before each flashpoint.

DPS are like dogs, they need to be trained. My friend list is filled with people that know what they're expected to do.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

alifaraaz
05.14.2012 , 06:52 AM | #15
that's true also - i rarely tank for pugs. Usually only if its say me + guildy and then 1 or 2 pugs. It's just not worth the time usually :P I have very little reason to do any FP other than LI and KuS for the weekly.

I guess there'll be more incentive in the future with the 'random flashpoint' reward from the LFG tool. And the achievement speeders were incentive :P but usually if i still need it, then 3 other guild members will too.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

oredith
05.14.2012 , 07:42 AM | #16
i don't tank for pugs for several reasons:
  1. it takes longer, so i would have to be COMPLETELY bored, to want to tank for a pug - and to be honest, I'm completely bored in this game most of the time, except for raid time.
  2. I don't need any gear
  3. The only HM FP that is even meaningful (lost island), is far from puggable. Yes, it's theoretically possible, but explaining the fights would take forever, as well as waiting for people to learn it, on top of hoping the rest of the group is geared enough for it.
  4. pugs don't hit spacebar - This is never more evident than when I make the mistake of pugging Kaon to finish up the weekly quest.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

oredith
05.14.2012 , 07:45 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Grizm View Post
Taunt should be for emergencies.
just a note on this. This is true in OTHER games, but it's been discussed in a round about way in several different threads that had dev feedback, that the threat mechanism, especially taunt, is MEANT to be part of your rotation to BUILD threat..

it's lame, IMO, but it's their game, and that's how they want you to play it..
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Daskillz
05.14.2012 , 07:54 AM | #18
I am a Vanguard Tank on Canderous Ordo

I believe the server lacks more tanks than healers overall. I see most people looking for tanks over healers when trying to throw together a Hardmode. To be honest this game really doesn't give enough reason for a geared tank to even bother running Hard Mode flashpoints.

Only one worth doing for a geared tank is HM LI and Kaon for Weekly but after they get weekly done there is no point. I believe that HMs are poorly itemized in this game. Look at Lost Island for instance, It drops Tionese coms and all columi gear other than the Rakatta Chest at the end. Now tell me if it is possible that a group of people who aren't atleast in mostly columi/rakatta gear to even complete that place in Hard Mode. Most likely not...

Even when I hit 50 on this character the first thing I did was throw a pug EV together because I knew I would get gear faster offtanking that with crap gear over running multiple hard modes and making healers want to kill themselves rather than heal my 15k health tanking arse lol.

TL'DR: I hate running hard modes and the hard modes are poorly itemized.

Yaiser
05.14.2012 , 07:56 AM | #19
As a Tank on Ajunta Pall, I do not tank for pug groups. I generally stay with a guild group or run HM's with people on my friends list. After even being in Columi there is no real reason to run HM"s besides Kaon and Lost Island and I will never run LI with a pug group.

Tanking can be frustrating at times with the aggro drops, stuns and taunts not working but I still enjoy it. If there was some other reward to complete the other HM FP's besides the rakgoul ones i would probably engage in them again but as I said before there is no reason to do them right now. Its a waste of time where I could be clearing dailies or doing some PvP or even raiding.
Jen'Jidai, Jung Ma Server
Legend Gaming Website
Copperspot Corvidae

pure_laced
05.14.2012 , 08:06 AM | #20
I have 3 tanks. 2 on the same server and I haven't done a HM FP since the 1st day of Kaon Under Siege. Why? There is no reason to. Stale content is stale, no worthwhile rewards, and quite frankly most pugs are complete idiots.

Like the example above, I also pugged out of the niceness of my heart a KP and had the EXACT same issue as the previous poster. I was called a "Bad Tank" because of Bonethrasher. We killed it, I cleared trash to Jarg, and pulled him and exited area.

The main reason there are no tanks for HM FP's? 95% of the server pops are full of mouthbreathers and we don't want to waste our time.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter