Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What SWTOR is


Rafaman's Avatar


Rafaman
05.28.2012 , 10:47 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
but in the future they said there will be different quests that will be tied to legacy to so you can choose even MORE different side quests just imagine having 9 different starting quests to choose from on Hutta when you started instead of just the 4 and each of those would then lead you to a diff one.
Just to add to this. For me, the stories are different and fun as they are. Sure, you have to cover old ground for the side quests, but with my alts I find it quite enjoyable because you have to play differently. I have several alts and each side quest that comes along I have to figure out new ways to succeed. Sometimes they are easier because some classes have advantageous skills and abilities and some times they are not. Every time time it gives me a new feel so to speak. I've capped a Sent and have a Shadow and a Trooper around 40. Wow, what a difference between them.

Zoggel's Avatar


Zoggel
05.28.2012 , 10:48 PM | #192
Hello everybody!

We have had to remove several posts from this thread and would like to remind everybody that when replying to please post in relation to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible
  • Report, Don't Respond - Utilize the Report Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Please feel free to continue talking about, "What SWTOR is".

Thank you!

Anvil's Avatar


Anvil
05.28.2012 , 11:31 PM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Quoted For Truth
Here Here!
The Earthshaker Legacy - Dalborra
SWTOR won't truly represent the spirit of Star Wars until numerous iconic star wars non-human alien species are playable.

HomicidalWhales's Avatar


HomicidalWhales
06.25.2012 , 03:06 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Gungan View Post
I love story in my games, and it's one of the things I look for most... in a single player game where these types of choices actually have vastly different implications on the storyline from that point on.

That is not what you get with SWTOR. You get the same story and the same ending as every other person playing the same class as you, and none of your dialogue choices mean anything to gameplay, character development, or the state of the world in the game.

It is inferior compared to other BioWare storytelling.

Your whole spiel about "a new type of MMO" is complete nonsense. This game is not an MMO. It's a cooperative RPG like Guild Wars at best... an online RPG at worst, and doesn't deserve to charge a monthly subscription fee. If this was a buy the box, then pay for new flashpoints, story quest packs, PVP map packs and operations "a la carte" for $5 bucks each, it would be a perfectly justifiable business model.

The fact that I can't play the group content I want because nobody groups due to alt-itis, and servers are ghost towns is a valid complaint, and they should not be charging monthly if their game cannot support a community for the focused multiplayer content that they promised. Not only that, but they can't seem to make anything in this game good except for the story, which is still gimped compared to Mass Effect and other BioWare titles because they cannot allow a single player to be a standout personality in the world.
QFT. I'm sorry but I couldn't agree more on this.

Comstrike's Avatar


Comstrike
06.25.2012 , 04:29 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by Gungan View Post
I love story in my games, and it's one of the things I look for most... in a single player game where these types of choices actually have vastly different implications on the storyline from that point on.

That is not what you get with SWTOR. You get the same story and the same ending as every other person playing the same class as you, and none of your dialogue choices mean anything to gameplay, character development, or the state of the world in the game.

It is inferior compared to other BioWare storytelling.

Your whole spiel about "a new type of MMO" is complete nonsense. This game is not an MMO. It's a cooperative RPG like Guild Wars at best... an online RPG at worst, and doesn't deserve to charge a monthly subscription fee. If this was a buy the box, then pay for new flashpoints, story quest packs, PVP map packs and operations "a la carte" for $5 bucks each, it would be a perfectly justifiable business model.

The fact that I can't play the group content I want because nobody groups due to alt-itis, and servers are ghost towns is a valid complaint, and they should not be charging monthly if their game cannot support a community for the focused multiplayer content that they promised. Not only that, but they can't seem to make anything in this game good except for the story, which is still gimped compared to Mass Effect and other BioWare titles because they cannot allow a single player to be a standout personality in the world.
Ditto-QFT
Comstrike
******************************
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Jableson's Avatar


Jableson
06.25.2012 , 05:06 PM | #196
My only complaint about the "choices" in this mmo are that no matter what "number" 1,2, or 3 you choose in conversation the result is ALWAYS the same.. Yea, maybe someone is executed instead of imprisoned, however, it has no impact on an experience or gameplay in the slightest....

No choices i make in tatooine have any impact on balmorra for example. I didnt choose to no execute someone on coruscaunt and now they come back on correlia as a nemesis going for my head.

Soluss's Avatar


Soluss
06.25.2012 , 06:02 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
How is it inferior? Of course you are going to get the same ending as other's playing the story. It's an mmo. Which hosts a BUNCH of players. But YOU don't have to make it the same for YOURSELF. Nobody says you have to choose what other people choose. Don't say things like it doesn't matter what you say, because it does sometimes. On Nar Shaddaa, I chose to slaughter the Justicar and make them the people's enemies to the leader of them, than to just walk away peacefully and tell them not to do it. I could have chosen differently and walked right out of there. That's what I did. Along with lots of other examples I could give you. This is a perfect example of BioWare storytelling just in an mmo setting. What do you want? Your own brain sensor implanted in your thought lobe so you can put a wireless sensor into your usb drive and make the ending that YOU WANT? lol

That's what BioWare does. Make the stories. YOU just choose the decisions along the way that are different to others so you see in real time, what happens when you do it. Then, if it's the type of game that you like, you can replay it, and see. "What would my character be like if I chose one of the other decisions? How would I FEEL about my character?" If you say there is no replayability with this game, why did so many replay kotor 103847 times even though it was the EXACT SAME endings all the time? Why? BECAUSE IT'S ALL BASED UPON THE WAY THAT FEELS A DEEP CONNECTION TO YOU! That's why one of my threads said 1.3 mil kotor fans. Because those are mainly the type of people that LOVE this game. The hardcore mmo'ers will ...go out. They get bored because they feel there is nothing to do. It's not their type of thing. That's fine. Move along. But for the rest, this is what they craved in an mmorpg and with me...so did I!
The choices you make may change the story a tiny bit in your head but no matter what you choose... you get the same ending. Also, the biggest problem is that 90% of the content is shared for every class. So if it takes you say 100 hours to level.... only 10 hours is different content. Remember saving that planet and winning the war there at level 20 ... go back there again at any other level.... nothing has changed... It would take some pretty ridiculous technology to make things change based on what you do but the reality is that your actions dont change a thing in this game.

Rootbear's Avatar


Rootbear
07.03.2012 , 04:51 PM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by StaticJoe View Post





Sarfux is quite obvious you do not play an Arsenal Merc, especially in PVP...it is quite obvious your playtime is not affected by the "unscheduled maintenance" to patch what the previous patch broke...it is quite obvious you have not read the server merger threads, the LFG threads, the open world PVP threads or the rated warzone threads...those are things people want included in the game...the fact they are not, and BW is taking its sweet time to implement them, is a pain point to a lot of people...these are indeed flaws and the fact you do not see them as flaws does not mean they are not flaws...this game does indeed have many flaws as some bugs present since launch STILL have not been fixed. That said, are these flaws gamebreaking? No, they are not--if you can login and you can play--which most of us can--then whatever the issue is can wait until the next maintenance window but for you to say the game is not flawed is simply not a true statement and rather disingenuous

Nothing is perfect and WoW has most definitely had its fair share of flaws. It still does. Everything has flaws. WoW rebalances their classes every patch because WoW is also flawed but i enjoy it it just got old to me but its still a good game IMO. whether or not the game bad is a matter of opinion because good and bad are ALWAYS opinions because theyre just extensions of different perspectives. whats good to one person could be bad to another that makes them opinions. there is no true good or true bad so claiming that something is bad will always be an opinion no matter how you look at it because "Good" and "Bad" rely on personal opinions and experiences. if you dont like the game, dont play it; but that doesnt make it a bad game. and having a huge fanbase or number of subscriptions doesnt make it flawless. throughout history the masses have subscribed to things that have been outright wrong, its just the most common fallacy rather than correct due to a large number of believers. Nothing is flawless no matter how many followers or subscribers it has. That doesnt make it bad or good.if almost everyone in the world thought it was a bad game but one person disagreed, and there will always be one outlier, then the game isnt bad to at least that one person. It's a matter of opinion. Nothing is perfect and time will fix these problems. you cant simply say you want something and expect it within a month or two. Game development can take a while and just because a concept seems simple to implement doesnt mean that it is. sometimes the simplest concepts are the most difficult to implement. Patience is very important in life and being impatient could cause you to miss out on some of the best things in life. WoW survived when it had its faults because it didnt have a huge competitor that paved the way before it so people stuck with it even with its faults. There were other MMO's but they werent big enough to have the impact that WoW has since had. WoW's Success has made it much more difficult for other MMO's to be successful largely due to impatience and people's unwillingness to try to do things differently even though they may appear the same. not taking some of the things WoW has discovered to be successful would be moronic. That doesnt make the game just like WoW, but similar. HOW you play the game makes the game. just like how you look at the world around you shapes the world around you. "your focus creates your reality" be patient, nothing is without flaws. Give them time and Bioware will implement the things you're asking for. its taking a while but you can see that they are doing some of these things already in patches. just because it takes longer doesnt mean theyre not doing it; it just means that it's taking longer than expected. WoW is a good game in my opinion but so is SWTOR. They are different kinds of games meant to be played in different ways. dont be so hasty and quick to jump to conclusions and give it more of a chance, it will be different and already is much different than others. In time it will become as good as WoW if it could be given the same chances as WoW was. WoW has had years to be "perfected" but people are ready to write this off as crap after a few months when in the first few months of WoW they had much bigger issues but since people stuck with it the game developed in a way that people liked. it requires time to shape things as big as an MMO because people's opinions differe so greatly; most often new ideas are rejected because theyre different. Look at the history of science for example, new breakthroughs in science were almost always met with with rejection and ridicule. most popular doesnt mean right, oportunities shape things in many ways and time presents those opportunities. so if its not given enough time most anything will fail.

Jenzali's Avatar


Jenzali
07.03.2012 , 05:30 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by Robert_Guiscard View Post
Yeah. In the Sith Warrior class line, I was really irritated that I couldn't jettison a certain traitorous companion out of the airlock after stabbing me in the back. Couldn't kill him or even kick him off the ship! Just slap him around some, and business as usual back on board! I think that's when the disappointment in the actual freedom of choice in class stories really kicked in for me.
You had the option of choice to kill him before, but the players whined for that choice was removed.

I think it's easy to see why there aren't meaningful choices, because the complaining would be endless and rabid - it's not a single player RPG where you can just save and reload - your decisions stay with you forever as they are stored server-side.

TLDR; You say you want it, but you really don't. This is a game right? Why should you need to think at all or examine the possible repercussions of your actions? (sarcasm)
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Sarfux's Avatar


Sarfux
07.03.2012 , 05:32 PM | #200
Quote: Originally Posted by Rootbear View Post
Nothing is perfect and WoW has most definitely had its fair share of flaws. It still does. Everything has flaws. WoW rebalances their classes every patch because WoW is also flawed but i enjoy it it just got old to me but its still a good game IMO. whether or not the game bad is a matter of opinion because good and bad are ALWAYS opinions because theyre just extensions of different perspectives. whats good to one person could be bad to another that makes them opinions. there is no true good or true bad so claiming that something is bad will always be an opinion no matter how you look at it because "Good" and "Bad" rely on personal opinions and experiences. if you dont like the game, dont play it; but that doesnt make it a bad game. and having a huge fanbase or number of subscriptions doesnt make it flawless. throughout history the masses have subscribed to things that have been outright wrong, its just the most common fallacy rather than correct due to a large number of believers. Nothing is flawless no matter how many followers or subscribers it has. That doesnt make it bad or good.if almost everyone in the world thought it was a bad game but one person disagreed, and there will always be one outlier, then the game isnt bad to at least that one person. It's a matter of opinion. Nothing is perfect and time will fix these problems. you cant simply say you want something and expect it within a month or two. Game development can take a while and just because a concept seems simple to implement doesnt mean that it is. sometimes the simplest concepts are the most difficult to implement. Patience is very important in life and being impatient could cause you to miss out on some of the best things in life. WoW survived when it had its faults because it didnt have a huge competitor that paved the way before it so people stuck with it even with its faults. There were other MMO's but they werent big enough to have the impact that WoW has since had. WoW's Success has made it much more difficult for other MMO's to be successful largely due to impatience and people's unwillingness to try to do things differently even though they may appear the same. not taking some of the things WoW has discovered to be successful would be moronic. That doesnt make the game just like WoW, but similar. HOW you play the game makes the game. just like how you look at the world around you shapes the world around you. "your focus creates your reality" be patient, nothing is without flaws. Give them time and Bioware will implement the things you're asking for. its taking a while but you can see that they are doing some of these things already in patches. just because it takes longer doesnt mean theyre not doing it; it just means that it's taking longer than expected. WoW is a good game in my opinion but so is SWTOR. They are different kinds of games meant to be played in different ways. dont be so hasty and quick to jump to conclusions and give it more of a chance, it will be different and already is much different than others. In time it will become as good as WoW if it could be given the same chances as WoW was. WoW has had years to be "perfected" but people are ready to write this off as crap after a few months when in the first few months of WoW they had much bigger issues but since people stuck with it the game developed in a way that people liked. it requires time to shape things as big as an MMO because people's opinions differe so greatly; most often new ideas are rejected because theyre different. Look at the history of science for example, new breakthroughs in science were almost always met with with rejection and ridicule. most popular doesnt mean right, oportunities shape things in many ways and time presents those opportunities. so if its not given enough time most anything will fail.

You sir, what you have just said, is what I try to tell people all the time. You took the words right outta my mouth. It's too bad we are in the 'NOW!!' generation
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System