Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What SWTOR is


Gungan's Avatar


Gungan
05.13.2012 , 01:27 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Skidrowbro View Post
WoW is also made to run on computers made in the 90's. Do you see why they have a huge sub number? Also, don't blind yourself about that number, how many people have multiple account? I had 2 myself. And here is something to think about. How many games have dies because they tried to follow WoW's footsteps? LoTR - F2P, Aion - F2P, Rift - not F2P yet but only rocking 16 servers and 250k players, City of Heroes - F2P.
a) WoW's new particle and lighting effects won't run on a computer made in the 90s.

b) SWTOR will run on any computer made after 2008.

Gungan's Avatar


Gungan
05.13.2012 , 01:29 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by princey View Post
Your point is trivialized by the fact that there IS a LFG flag system. The fact that no one uses it doesn't discount the fact that it is there. And BW is making it better, just because people don't use it. IF people used it, and if BW had not caved to the rampant queue qq, then it would have been more than adequate.
FYI, the last patch broke the LFG flag. It no longer appears when you flag yourself, and you can't search LFG in the search box anymore.

Maltuvion's Avatar


Maltuvion
05.13.2012 , 01:33 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
I just wonder what the EAware apologist reply will be when that 1.3 mil gets devastated as the following occur:

A) D3 comes out
B) People realize Tera is pretty fun, and while it has some issues, it doesn't have any of the glaring atrocities that TOR commited on paying customers when it launched in December
C) GW2 comes out
D) TSW comes out
E) MoP comes out
F) All the people here only for the free month let their sub run out again

It really pisses me off. If the game launched with the current quality and feature set that it has now, it would probably be doing way better with retention. The game still as a long way to go in terms of quality, but it's miles better now than it was in December. Release an uncooked turd and people leave because of the smell and many probably never look back (unless you give them a free month to pad your financial reports)
Quoting for truth. The implications of all those releases are terrifying to SWTOR's continued health.

Noviru's Avatar


Noviru
05.13.2012 , 01:34 PM | #144
Hey everyone,

This is a heads up that we recently had to remove several posts from this thread. A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:
  • Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.
Thank you for understanding!

princey's Avatar


princey
05.13.2012 , 01:34 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by Gungan View Post
FYI, the last patch broke the LFG flag. It no longer appears when you flag yourself, and you can't search LFG in the search box anymore.
Kind of irrelevant considering that no one used it before, when it worked. And it was rarely used in beta. I think that BW just flat out underestimated the laziness of gamers. (That is a general statement, not aimed at anyone in particular.) So many MMOs now have an automated system for grouping, and I won't deny that it's a much more streamlined and user friendly system to set it and forget it. The game released with an archaic system that, while adequate, obviously isn't preferred by the player base at large. It's akin to taking away people's iphones and giving them those giant things they used in the 80s. The overabundance of servers didn't help things. Thus, the incoming LFG changed and server transfers.

Isaiahsdad's Avatar


Isaiahsdad
05.13.2012 , 01:36 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Noviru View Post
Hey everyone,

This is a heads up that we recently had to remove several posts from this thread. A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:
  • Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.
Thank you for understanding!


Respect the bolded and we will!!

BenjaminminU's Avatar


BenjaminminU
05.13.2012 , 01:37 PM | #147
Problem with the game is that it has that MMO levelling system that is the same as other games, I wish they'd made it more like KOTOR where you could just go and do the story central quests if you wanted without touching the side ones. If we could just do class quests i'd happily replay the jedi knight class story again.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

arcdaemon's Avatar


arcdaemon
05.13.2012 , 01:40 PM | #148
What swtor is a overhyped under delivered single player rpg that was supposed to be an mmo but failed.

Ganrax's Avatar


Ganrax
05.13.2012 , 03:03 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarfux View Post
[COLOR="Orange"]Star Wars The Old Republic is a different type of mmo

It's the type of mmos built for the people who love story. For the people who love choices that affect them and their decision making processes. For the people that like to get immersed in a universe that is Star Wars. For the people that just want to adventure.
Stopped reading after this because I really don't think you have played the game for very long. I have been playing SWTOR since I got into beta in August so 9 months now and this is what I have found about your opening statement.
1. The "story" pretty much ends at the end of this game's very short leveling process unless you plan on rerolling 7 times, rarely playing your level 50 characters, and then quitting the game and waiting for them to add more. The "story" at level 50 consists of the same drawn out annoying voice overs that you hear over and over and over again through daily quest grinding and operation/flashpoint farming. Many of which are no different or extremely similar to what you have already seen leveling up(there are only so many ways they can voice over a quest to go kill 10 mobs).

2. The "choices" effect pretty much nothing but minor dialogue choices, a few quests, companion affection(which can be maxed out quickly regardless with just gifts), and a little slider on our character sheet that pretty much does nothing for you. No matter what choices you pick the outcome and general content of your story will remain vastly unchanged. Very few quests may have an extra step or one less step but the outcome is still the same. Even the lightside and darkside alignment doesn't mean anything as of right now. It doesn't effect your story in any way(nobody will look at you any differently as a Dark Jedi or a Light Side Sith), it only gives you access to titles, access to the few items that are actually alignment locked, and an ability to heal yourself through your companion if you max out your alignment(which in of itself encourages you to not make choices that you want but rather always pick 1 alignment side to max it out).

3. As far as this game wanting to immerse you in the Star Wars universe I think they have gone with the opposite direction. I felt MUCH more immersed in SWG than I have ever in this game because unlike here, you had much more freedom. SWTOR is a heavily instanced, linear, heavily restricted, heavily scripted MMO. You have the illusion of choices in dialogue at the expense of choices everywhere else(character customization, classes, factions, species, etc). Not that it is a bad thing for most, a lot of people like the Themepark on rails feel because freedom in MMO's overwhelms them which is why WoW is so popular and probably why they went with a strict Themepark style for this game as well. On top of the lack of freedom you have the gear art style of the game which has gone a long way in removing the Star Wars immersion. A lot of the gear leveling up is fine and good with the feeling of Star Wars, however once you get to level 50 that immersion is gone. The majority of the endgame gear looks like it was designed by people that have never seen a single Star Wars movie and think we are instead playing some kind of strange game that involves Robots, Space Samurai, Bug People, Peacocks, and Toga wearing hippies. They have heard us on this subject though and said they will be changing the art style to something that is more of a Star Wars feel, which is good.

4. Finally for the adventure comment. This game does not in any way encourage you to adventure. From the minute you make your character you are on rails. You go to planet after planet exactly where your story tells you to go. The planets themselves are very static and generic, there is pretty much nothing on a planet that isn't there simply for a quest or datacron. If you go off the path you'll either find more npc's that you'll have to kill later for a quest, a barrier preventing you from going somewhere, a planet that is too high level for you where you can also not get quests until you have your class story up to that point, or if you're lucky a datacron. The way the game is made is that it highly encourages you to stick to the strict path that they have written for you, not adventure out on your own.

I am personally playing this game now for the operations and hoping they add more content to do when I am not raiding at some point to actually make me want to continue to log in when it is not raid time. I'm not going anywhere any time soon but I also find it hard to log on to the game when it is not time for my guild to run an operation. I find this game to be a pretty standard Themepark MMO at best and that is what I am playing it for. It is lacking in some places(I guess due to Bioware's inexperience in MMO development) but that is understandable for an MMO that is less than 6 months old. I can only hope that they add more content that will keep my interest when I am not raiding.

Bokamon's Avatar


Bokamon
05.13.2012 , 04:36 PM | #150
i respectfully disagree with the OP:

basicly i'm the guy you describe, but SWTOR doesn't cut it for me

choices
choices don't affect anything, basically they're a rep grind with possible cosmetic bonus. dialogue options donīt really effect the outcome of a conversation, safe turndowns and the occasional shoot him/let him live option at the end (i played trooper). choices never affect your standing, with anyone.

immersion
man, i friggin LOVE to get immersed into SW stuff. Got immersed in (most of) the movies and in a particular videogame by BW. I feel that an SW MMO could, possibly should be the pinnacle of immersion, but sadly it isnīt for me. The galaxy doesnīt even feel like a world. Planets are just big pass-through places. Deserted, but not for NPC's, which you have to work your way through if you dont have stealth or a fancy mount. Apart from that there's not much going on. it's all very static.

well written
It may or may not have anything to do with the shere quantity of content (as opposed to SP RPGs), but i don't find the quests particularly well written. I would say the quality is lower than say.. DA2. But then again it's not a SP game, which brings me to my final point:

MMO
A while back i played Global Agenda. Here you hung around in a sort of lobby waiting for your PVE or PVP mission to pop. everything instanced and set maximum players (they also added an outside area where you could solo and occasionally group up for a harder quest). See where i'm going with this? My point is i (basically no-one) considered GA to be an MMO. To feel the MM in MMO you need to be able to encounter more than 15 players and not in a few set places.

that being said i still play (occasionally) and i have a faint hope the game will improve.