Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Point of Qui-Gon Jinn

Matth_Stil
05.12.2012 , 02:48 PM | #1
If memory serves, Red Letter Media's Episode I tirade - sorry, review - postulated that Qui-Gon Jinn is a pointless character - wrong, says I: he championed Anakin. Obi-Wan inherited Anakin.

Anakin's fall was assured by Kenobi's reluctant tutelage. The point of Qui-Gon Jinn is diligence. His heart would've been in it.

But what says you...?
"'Good' is a point of view, Anakin."

- Palpatine

Velaran
05.12.2012 , 02:58 PM | #2
I wouldn't quite say Qui-Gon was pointless, but he didn't totally need to be there either. There were better ways to set up the story.

His many questionable actions throughout the film didn't help.

DeutschGamer
05.12.2012 , 03:37 PM | #3
I liked the actor and the idea of a father figure in him, it would have been great to see him teach Anakin. Oh well, lost chances.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Darth_Solrac
05.12.2012 , 04:22 PM | #4
I have yet to see any Jinn defenders here (makes sense), soooo I'll say it again. Worst. Jedi. Ever. Almost pointless, boring character.

His dueling skills as a Master were also apparently sub par. He was cut down by an apprentice. Yes the apprentice of Sidious, & a Darth, but an apprentice nonetheless.

His only redeeming quality for me is that he appeared to be a Grey Jedi who trolled the council.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

RobNightfall
05.12.2012 , 04:37 PM | #5
I think Qui Gon was a demonstration of the divergence of what a jedi should be from what the council was becoming. Qui Gon did what he thought and felt and was right, and ignored the council when their sage opinion and his own differed.
This can be a recipe for disaster but, the council made a lot of questionable decisions during this time period. Among other things, if you stop and think about it, it makes no sense that Obi Wan trained Anakin at all. The entire council felt some foreboding about his future, so why didn't the 800 year old grand master of the jedi order train him, or Mace Windu, or some other very experienced master? And given his strength, why did the masters think not training Anakin at all, especially with the re-emergence of the sith now evident, was an even remotely good idea? Having a highly experienced master train Anakin makes much more sense than to hand him off to someone who has been a knight for all of 50 seconds lol.
Obi Wan simply wasn't ready, especially given that he grew up within the order and had never experienced truly deep emotional ties before. Part of why he missed Anakin's fall was that he was too attached to Anakin, and couldn't see the signs because he was wrestling with the first deep emotional bond he had ever experienced: his sense of brotherhood with Anakin. Qui Gon was needed to demonstrate the difference between someone who could have done the job, someone who couldn't have done the job, and the way jedi should act vs. the way the council was acting.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.

Matth_Stil
05.12.2012 , 04:58 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by RobNightfall View Post
...Obi Wan simply wasn't ready, especially given that he grew up within the order and had never experienced truly deep emotional ties before. Part of why he missed Anakin's fall was that he was too attached to Anakin, and couldn't see the signs because he was wrestling with the first deep emotional bond he had ever experienced: his sense of brotherhood with Anakin...
Very good point! And some say the prequels lack nuance, lol!
"'Good' is a point of view, Anakin."

- Palpatine

chiefdano
05.12.2012 , 05:05 PM | #7
Prequels were great. Great story

stop drinking the Koolaid
Graf - Republic of OT Guild Leader and lead trash talker
Hedarr Soongh

Velaran
05.12.2012 , 05:08 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by chiefdano View Post
Prequels were great. Great story
No. Just no.

Aurbere
05.12.2012 , 05:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
I have yet to see any Jinn defenders here (makes sense), soooo I'll say it again. Worst. Jedi. Ever. Almost pointless, boring character.

His dueling skills as a Master were also apparently sub par. He was cut down by an apprentice. Yes the apprentice of Sidious, & a Darth, but an apprentice nonetheless.

His only redeeming quality for me is that he appeared to be a Grey Jedi who trolled the council.
Qui-Gon's combat form was next to useless in such tight quarters. he did what he could against Maul, but I think he knew his number was up and just had to hold him off so Obi-Wan could be ready to finish him. But I don't think Qui-Gon's strong suit was fighting. He was more of a guiding hand, following the will of the Force.

Liam Neeson played his role well in my opinion.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

chiefdano
05.12.2012 , 05:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Velaran View Post
No. Just no.
Koolaid
Graf - Republic of OT Guild Leader and lead trash talker
Hedarr Soongh