Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stop whining about huttball.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Stop whining about huttball.

Smashbrother
05.11.2012 , 08:21 PM | #1
Well this weeks Q&A pretty much ends the issue of whether a ball carrier should be allowed to leap/pulled. The devs have confirmed it is intended and that it's not going to change. It also ends the myth that the team with more force users usually wins.

"Gidoru: Currently in Huttball, certain classes have huge advantages, to the point where, without them, you have a considerably lesser chance of winning. The classes I speak of are namely Sages, Guardians, and their Imperial counterparts that are able to leap and pull across the map granting great mobility. Any chance of changes that prevent the ball carrier from using abilities like leap or being pulled?

Gabe Amatangelo (PvP & Endgame Designer): It is something we considered early in development of the map. However, we aimed to ensure every class had a role as opposed to effectively turning classes off when they carry the ball. Granted, some of those roles are not as obvious or have a steeper learning curve than simply getting the ball over the line (i.e. controlling the middle, cover defense, controlling hazard lines, etc.). The team composition win ratios suggest those roles are playing out for the most part. For example, teams with all Sages and Guardians do not even appear in the top 100 win ratios and the composition with the highest win ratios include a fairly even distribution of Advanced Classes. That, of course, is not an absolute conclusion, especially considering full team compositions rely on matchmaking. We’ll pay close attention to the variance in composition win ratio considering rating when full team queuing is enabled."

TLDR: We can't all be the superstar quarterback/runningback. Learn your role and learn to play it.

karnyboy
05.11.2012 , 08:46 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post

TLDR: We can't all be the superstar quarterback/runningback. Learn your role and learn to play it.
My sentiments exactly. This forum is filled with whiners that need to learn their roll and stop trying to be the star quarterback.

I play a Jedi Shadow, you don't see me trying to get the ball, my role is to kill the things that either heal or guard healers. If I do get the ball it's called looking for a passing position.

A win with the team > John Rambo style

wichtL
05.11.2012 , 08:50 PM | #3
Quote:
However, we aimed to ensure every class had a role as opposed to effectively turning classes off when they carry the ball.
What exactly would that be for a Scoundrel?

williambr
05.11.2012 , 08:50 PM | #4
huttball needs a version where you have to kick the ball(for the europeans), other than that, it works.
Don't take me too seriously, I don't

hankart
05.11.2012 , 08:56 PM | #5
If you make us stop whining about Huttball then we have to stop whining about everything LOL. Ain't gonna happen! QQ
Your Hyperdrives on fire and your Wookies choking on a hairball. What now?

karnyboy
05.11.2012 , 09:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by wichtL View Post
To dps with Shadows and kill Healers/control Mid

Aikiyc
05.11.2012 , 09:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by wichtL View Post
Controlling mid and the upper ramps on the opponent's side using the superior mobility stealth gives you. Essentially controlling the flow of traffic and keeping people preoccupied or locking down tanks and healers.
The Teltae Legacy
There's no escape from the mind.

TUXs
05.11.2012 , 09:08 PM | #8
Yup. Gabe has spoken and Gabe thinks it's awesome the way it is. When has Gabe ever been wrong on what's "fun" for PvP?
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

WBTronix
05.11.2012 , 09:10 PM | #9
I think as soon as more teams figure out where to set up shop as sorcerers or marauders the issue will be more apparent.

A well placed team can cover too much ground. As long as the marauders are holding middle enough to grab the ball thats all that really matters. The rest is just team pulls and team leaps.

criminalheretic
05.11.2012 , 09:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by WBTronix View Post
I think as soon as more teams figure out where to set up shop as sorcerers or marauders the issue will be more apparent.

A well placed team can cover too much ground. As long as the marauders are holding middle enough to grab the ball thats all that really matters. The rest is just team pulls and team leaps.
Agreed, now if they can just up the medal system to offer objective points for holding the middle, maybe people will do so.