Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hando's Civil War WINNING Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Hando's Civil War WINNING Guide

S__T
05.11.2012 , 01:07 PM | #11
  1. I'm personally a fan of "grass" and "snow" impossible to confuse, even if you are directionally challenged.
  2. The guide should cover terrain manipulation, liking hoping the side of the middle building to shortcut your way in.
  3. The guide should also cover the "lesser known" way of attacking, like going the long way around to come-behind middle, or going the long way underneath middle to attack the opposing side.
  4. The guide should also cover proper use of crowd control when defending, things like blind/concussion/whirlwind that are VERY effective at stopping caps for reinforcements.

Otherwise I really like your guide. I hope many people read it and understand a bit of the strategy.

Lunez
05.11.2012 , 01:17 PM | #12
I'm planning on adding a Warzone guide section to my guide so when it gets stickied, people will always be able to have a link to various guides, including this one for reference. If you're able, try to keep it up to date and detailed as much as possible. Thanks!

I'll be adding your thread to the following thread of mine:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=451701

kamikrazy
05.11.2012 , 01:57 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by S__T View Post
  1. I'm personally a fan of "grass" and "snow" impossible to confuse, even if you are directionally challenged.
  2. The guide should cover terrain manipulation, liking hoping the side of the middle building to shortcut your way in.
  3. The guide should also cover the "lesser known" way of attacking, like going the long way around to come-behind middle, or going the long way underneath middle to attack the opposing side.
  4. The guide should also cover proper use of crowd control when defending, things like blind/concussion/whirlwind that are VERY effective at stopping caps for reinforcements.

Otherwise I really like your guide. I hope many people read it and understand a bit of the strategy.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick some of those advanced attacking strategies into the guide since many people don't know about ledge-jumping over the walls (I've always wondered if that was left intentionally).
I did cover some usage of CC, but mostly when on the offensive.

After thinking some more about E/W and L/R, I've decided to just stick with L/R. Not just because I'm lazy, but because it would be different for Imperials. Either way, it's arbitrary because the map is mirrored.

Someone else mentioned not liking 2-4-2. I will admit that it requires a good team to execute properly. I like sending the faster players Right so they can interrupt the enemy's cap. A lot of times, the enemy will panic and call for help even though there are just two people. This should ease pressure on the two other turrets such that if Right falls under enemy control, the other two turrets should easily fall under my own team's control.

I will keep working on this guide and will try to add a section with some thoughts for more advanced players. I will also try to keep it concise and well-trimmed

kamikrazy
05.14.2012 , 09:08 AM | #14
"The 4-1-3'"

This is another useful opening strategy that's meant to take the enemy off-guard.
4 players will head left, with 3 of them running interference for any potential enemies looking to slow down or capture your team's left turret. Once any enemies are dealt with, they then swing into mid from behind.

The player that goes into the middle should be good at staying alive and keeping the enemy off the turrets. Most strategies send the bulk of players to mid, so a tank or ranged DPS works best in this role. Provided no enemies went to your left turret, your 3 players will be swinging in from mid from behind to clean up the mess.

The players hitting right should theoretically be able to take it as long as your teammates are able to counter their interference against you. The key there is to stun first while others who have stealth or stun immunity rush straight to the turret to prevent the cap. 2 DPS and a healer should be a good balance to take the right turret.
Once right is secured (if it is), 1 person can be sent mid or wherever help is needed.

This strategy requires a decent amount of coordination to pull off. It definitely won't work with any PUG since the notion of only sending 1 person to middle will escape most PvP'ers, even though 3 people from Left will swing around from behind. However, those 3 players coming in from behind should be able to surprise the enemy. Pulling enemies away from middle one-by-one is the best way to focus them out.
It's a very aggressive strategy that ends up in a three-cap if the enemy is not prepared or coordinated enough to shift their players accordingly.

bromotion
06.20.2012 , 09:22 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
And why do you think that your respawn zone is at south?
Then other team apparently is start at north? And from their point of view your «East» is actually «West»..
East-West is lame.

Right-Left is more suitable and correct for BOTH teams.
And more easealy understandable by all the people.. Because at any occasions people definately know where is his right arm and where is left.
Just go to the strret and make an poll - ask people where is his right and left and then ask where is east and west. Compare the results of correct answers and time the people take to make the answers .
I think the best method for calling out which side you are on is Snow/Grass. This way all you have to do is take one look and you can figure out where you need to be.

richardya
06.20.2012 , 09:49 AM | #16
In the opening, you need to sacrifice the node where most of their players go. You need to send players who know how to LoS and stealth and CC to keep as many people at the losing node as possible for as long as possible. If you send two guys who occupy their four players for a minute or two you are in good shape. If you send no one they will immediately move players to the nodes where you had the numbers advantage.

You should always keep an eye on their players count and if they ever leave a node defended by one you should attack it, even if you have two nodes. This is not being Rambo, this will force them to defend nodes with two so you don't lose the numbers battle. If you are a good 1v1 player this is a good strategy. If your side has one node and your team is attacking left and you solo attack right, you may force them to move players right and thereby help left. So don't assume this player is trying to Rambo. This is only true if you can attack well and not die fast. This works if you make them think they are in danger. If they think that one more attacker will jeopardize the turret they will call for help.

When calling inc you should always call the number incoming, if one player is incoming you should not cry wolf and get your entire team come to kill one guy.

When you are behind, the key to gaining a node is switches. you should switch between nodes often, but not predictably, to try to catch them in the wrong spot.

Sincerely Yours
Rambo

kamikrazy
06.20.2012 , 09:51 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by bromotion View Post
I think the best method for calling out which side you are on is Snow/Grass. This way all you have to do is take one look and you can figure out where you need to be.
Whoa, I forgot about this thread... thanks for resurrecting it!
Snow/grass is a perfectly acceptable, non-confusing way to call out. I have never played PvP on an imp character so I never thought about how the map might be reversed, but it always made sense as a Republic player to call out L/R or E/W.

I will have to revise this guide since I heard they're removing the ability to jump up the sidewalls on the outside of mid for that minor advantage in reaching the middle from the side nodes. Will make calling out early that much more important.
Really, what I never see anyone focus on in terms of strategy is counting your enemy and counting your teammates. A team full of players with good awareness could probably get by without communicating much, but good luck with that in a PUG. It's a struggle to ensure people don't get stealth-capped, let alone relying on people moving to the nodes where they are needed the most using their own judgment. In fact, I generally see the opposite occur.

kamikrazy
06.20.2012 , 09:54 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by richardya View Post
In the opening, you need to sacrifice the node where most of their players go. You need to send players who know how to LoS and stealth and CC to keep as many people at the losing node as possible for as long as possible. If you send two guys who occupy their four players for a minute or two you are in good shape.

You should always keep an eye on their players count and if they ever leave a node defended by one you should attack it, even if you have two nodes. This is not being Rambo, this will force them to defend nodes with two so you don't lose the numbers battle. If you are a good 1v1 player this is a good strategy. If your side has one node and your team is attacking left and you solo attack right, you may force them to move players right and thereby help left. So don't assume this player is trying to Rambo. This is only true if you can attack well and not die fast. This works if you make them think they are in danger. If they think that one more attacker will jeopardize the turret they will call for help.

When calling inc you should always call the number incoming, if one player is incoming you should not cry wolf and get your entire team come to kill one guy.

When you are behind, the key to gaining a node is switches. you should switch between nodes often, but not predictably, to try to catch them in the wrong spot.

Sincerely Yours
Rambo
Great advice there. The key is to time your "Rambo run" to coincide with when your team can comfortably defend your turrets. If you leave mid during a pitched battle where only 1 person is trying to keep them off the node, you're better off staying to help defend. Once your team is able to get the upper-hand, sending a quick stealth to the enemy-held node is generally a good idea, if only to keep them honest.

richardya
06.20.2012 , 09:57 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by kamikrazy View Post
The key is to time your "Rambo run" to coincide with when your team can comfortably defend your turrets
100% true, the best time is when you see a batch of rezzed comrades joining a battle.
I don't do this on my GS .

Julietdeltamike
06.22.2012 , 09:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
And why do you think that your respawn zone is at south?
Then other team apparently is start at north? And from their point of view your «East» is actually «West»..
East-West is lame.

Right-Left is more suitable and correct for BOTH teams.
And more easealy understandable by all the people.. Because at any occasions people definately know where is his right arm and where is left.
Just go to the strret and make an poll - ask people where is his right and left and then ask where is east and west. Compare the results of correct answers and time the people take to make the answers .
I completely agree. I started off playing as republic and east west worked just fine...but then I rolled Empire and east west was broken so I started using R/L and its much much better...also on the empire side if you're controlling the right turret I've noticed the little green red icons in the top right corner of the UI are all backwards so it really screws people up trying to figure out what is E/W. Snow/Grass works really good to and I've noticed more and more games with people using it.