Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armor Market Crash - please help!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Armor Market Crash - please help!

traecelee
05.10.2012 , 07:38 PM | #1
Since the wonder that is Augmented Custom crafted gear has been added to the game the bottom has crashed out of the armor crafting market (Armormech and Synthweaving).

I believe this is because people are mass producing armor in the hopes of a crit providing an augmented version.

Augmented armor is great, the problem lies in the hundreds of non-augmented pieces that are glutting the Galactic Trade Network, at less cost than the mats to make them. As these items cannot currently be R-E'd there is currently no other option but to put them on the GTN or vend them.

Please allow custom gear to be reversed engineered for mats - perhaps then the market will stabalise, and crafting will go back to being a steady income stream.

Estelindis
05.10.2012 , 07:57 PM | #2
Agreed. Many people are putting non-augmented orange items on the GTN for less than the cost of materials. Making it possible to RE oranges for mats could change that. My understanding is that the devs plan to do so, but we don't know when they'll do it.

Zhiroc
05.11.2012 , 10:18 AM | #3
But is this really going to help? When I RE most items (I haven't yet gotten into high-end RE'ing), I typically get back 1-2 units out of 6, and very rarely more than 1 per type. Now, I can see that armor is pretty mat-intensive, so maybe you get back more, but still, if you compare what you usually get back with what you could vendor the item for, is it really a savings?

Another thing to point out is that the market for non-augmented items might not recover because people will want to spend their money on the augment slot and not bother with the rest. I suppose this might change when the augment-tables go in.

GnatB
05.11.2012 , 10:43 AM | #4
Haven't really noticed any change in the market for "finished blues".

And there was never (at least on my server) any real market for oranges until 1.2

pokota
05.11.2012 , 11:54 AM | #5
I'm one of those people who sell some pieces of orange armor at below cost. I tried it the other way, selling according to material cost, but it simply did not work. People bought the lower priced armor almost every time. Now I price everything the same; I lose on some pieces, I gain on some pieces, and it all moves.

Of course, like almost everyone else, my main goal is augmented gear. That's where the real profit is. I've made at least 3m, possibly more, selling augmented orange pieces since the patch. And the non-augmented stuff sells pretty well at low prices, as people still buy that for companions.

Even with the low selling price, it's certainly better than what I get from REing the stuff. It takes 14 or so high-grade material pieces to make the Battlemaster gear, for example, not counting the reagent. When I RE'd a batch, I got back 1 or 2 pieces for each. Even if I sell armor worth 10k in mats for 2k, I'm better off.