Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.30.2012 , 12:31 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
This statement contains a lie. There are no servers where the Republic outnumbers the Imperials, the Republic is universally outnumbered in this game.
Pretty sure that's not the case on gauntlet of kressh, both from personal observation and statistics on dulfy's website
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh (formerly)-
-The Tai Legacy- -Tai'for - Punitor - Lithany - Machiavelli - Davik -Her'acles-

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.30.2012 , 01:17 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
This statement contains a lie. There are no servers where the Republic outnumbers the Imperials, the Republic is universally outnumbered in this game.
A lie? Lol, come now. Do you think your personal experiences are automatically correct? A less aggressive way to have said that was, "I am skeptical of your statement because I have found the opposite is often true."

Either way, you're wrong. I play on many servers due to the cap of only 8 characters per server. One of my favorite PvE servers for instance, Empress Teta, was originally Imperial dominated back in early launch but has been for several months now, without question, Republic Dominated. There are about 1-3 pre-made Imperials that I play against that offer up a good fight but due to such low imperial numbers, 8 out of 10 PvP matches I play in are Republic versus Republic.

My advice to you in life: Try to avoid definitive absolutes. Rarely is the world in align with absolutes.

That all said... it's about time I roll out with a new update for this guide, I have a bunch of new data and a bunch of pre-written stuff I have saved, I just need to re-organize and post. Expect a big update coming soon!

ProfessorWalsh's Avatar


ProfessorWalsh
05.30.2012 , 01:55 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
A lie? Lol, come now. Do you think your personal experiences are automatically correct? A less aggressive way to have said that was, "I am skeptical of your statement because I have found the opposite is often true."

Either way, you're wrong. I play on many servers due to the cap of only 8 characters per server. One of my favorite PvE servers for instance, Empress Teta, was originally Imperial dominated back in early launch but has been for several months now, without question, Republic Dominated. There are about 1-3 pre-made Imperials that I play against that offer up a good fight but due to such low imperial numbers, 8 out of 10 PvP matches I play in are Republic versus Republic.

My advice to you in life: Try to avoid definitive absolutes. Rarely is the world in align with absolutes.

That all said... it's about time I roll out with a new update for this guide, I have a bunch of new data and a bunch of pre-written stuff I have saved, I just need to re-organize and post. Expect a big update coming soon!
I disagree with you and my personal experiences of never finding a Republic dominated server are holding true. I'll retract the statement of "lie" but I'd like you to list out how many servers exactly the Republic numbers dominate the Imperials especially in the 50's bracket. It seems like, if what you say is true, then there is only one and your guide should reflect that reality.

Second Edit:

You guide pretty much is: "Join a guild and run premades. Ignore anyone who doesn't do premades they can't help you."

That isn't fair. You should be more balanced in your explanations and outline the flaws in the system that make that the reality. Don't pretend everything is roses simply because there are bandaid fixes.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.30.2012 , 02:19 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
I disagree with you and my personal experiences of never finding a Republic dominated server are holding true. I'll retract the statement of "lie" but I'd like you to list out how many servers exactly the Republic numbers dominate the Imperials especially in the 50's bracket. It seems like, if what you say is true, then there is only one and your guide should reflect that reality.

Second Edit:

You guide pretty much is: "Join a guild and run premades. Ignore anyone who doesn't do premades they can't help you."

That isn't fair. You should be more balanced in your explanations and outline the flaws in the system that make that the reality. Don't pretend everything is roses simply because there are bandaid fixes.
Please stop embarrassing yourself.
http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-num...swtor-servers/

To synthesize, Top 10 PVE/RP Servers with a population in favor of republic:
Wall of Light
The Shadowlands
The Courageous
Empress Teta
The Ebon Hawk
Whitebeam Run
Ki-Ta Kren
Perlemian Trade Route
Sedyn Kyne
Anturi Reach

Top 10 PVE/RP most balanced
Namadii Corridor
Corellian Run
Thana Vesh
Veeboo Lunx
The Defenestrator
The Jekk’Jekk Tarr
Grand Master Zyrm
Begeren Colony
Rubut Crystal
Fa’athra
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh (formerly)-
-The Tai Legacy- -Tai'for - Punitor - Lithany - Machiavelli - Davik -Her'acles-

ProfessorWalsh's Avatar


ProfessorWalsh
05.30.2012 , 02:45 PM | #85
[QUOTE=DarthPunitor;4501322]Please stop embarrassing yourself.
http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-num...swtor-servers/

Aren't those the numbers from February?

Namely no longer correct or valid?
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.30.2012 , 02:54 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post

Namely no longer correct or valid?
Whereas we're supposed to assume your personal opinion/observations are valid and correct?
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh (formerly)-
-The Tai Legacy- -Tai'for - Punitor - Lithany - Machiavelli - Davik -Her'acles-

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.30.2012 , 02:57 PM | #87
Ladies and gentlemen, please. Let us all just relax. I think the original post is quite fair. It states:
Quote:
It's not uncommon to have one faction be significantly stronger than the other. On some servers, the Republic outweighs the Imperial, or visa versa.
I fail to see how such a neutral statement as this has got everyone's panties in a wad. It plainly says X over Y, or visa versa. This means it can be X over Y, or Y over X, interchangeably. Whether or not one outnumbers the other is 100% irrelevant. I chose X over Y instead of the other way around simply because on my primary server, X is dominant. That's all.

For clarification--- My server, Emperess Teta, is incredibly Republic heavy.

EDIT: To make sure people are familiar with what the Pre-Made section says...
Quote:
Pre-Made Groups:

You will often hear people on the forums complaining about what is often referred to as a "Pre-Made". Ignore their complaints. Those people can't help you. Working as a team in well-organized groups is one of the leading indicators of those who you want to listen to. People who habitually work alone, storm off on lone rambo crusades, or resist working in an organized group-fashion, are doomed to failure. Working as a team is the heart of what SWTOR PvP is based around.

NOTE: This should never discourage you from joining a Warzone solo. I find that the majority of my PvP time is spent from blind solo runs through Warzones, and I find it incredibly enjoyable. Over time, you will recognize others and they will recognize you, and eventually, you'll all get better at working together despite being from different guilds.
MOVING ONWARD! Let's try not to mudsling on this post. The forums are riddled enough of them as it is.

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.30.2012 , 03:01 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post

For clarification--- My server, Emperess Teta, is incredibly Republic heavy.
Which is consistent with the data i posted
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh (formerly)-
-The Tai Legacy- -Tai'for - Punitor - Lithany - Machiavelli - Davik -Her'acles-

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.30.2012 , 03:12 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
That isn't fair. You should be more balanced in your explanations and outline the flaws in the system that make that the reality. Don't pretend everything is roses simply because there are bandaid fixes.
You are totally right, I agree that I could perhaps write things a bit differently and I will consider this as I put together the next update. I can easily make changes as necessary, making it more neutral, and conservative. I should note however, that I don't talk about complaints, whines, or sniffles. I am an optimist and opportunist, and rather than focusing on what is broken, I will always focus on the solution and how to work around the current framework. That's how I roll.

I appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming, but try to throw less mud next time. Think neutral.

ProfessorWalsh's Avatar


ProfessorWalsh
05.30.2012 , 08:22 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
You are totally right, I agree that I could perhaps write things a bit differently and I will consider this as I put together the next update. I can easily make changes as necessary, making it more neutral, and conservative. I should note however, that I don't talk about complaints, whines, or sniffles. I am an optimist and opportunist, and rather than focusing on what is broken, I will always focus on the solution and how to work around the current framework. That's how I roll.

I appreciate the suggestions. Keep them coming, but try to throw less mud next time. Think neutral.
Then I would also consider a line in yours where server selection plays a larger role in things. Selecting a server where your faction is dominant provides easier everything including an easier time making PVP groups. If you have a guild this isn't so much of a problem, if you don't have a guild (or if your guild has left the game) then joining a server where your faction is dominant is a major advantage at the moment.

That could change if they actually ever implement server transfers and servers become large enough that the available pool of players is significant on both sides.

My personal experience on Lord Adraas, for example, was one where a solo queue player could compete and win around 50% of the time. Since 1.2 however our PVP population has dwindled to the point that getting more than 6 people at a time is difficult, getting 8 is unheard of outside of peak time if you are Republic. Sith players have premades and full groups 24/7.

So I do think a guild like this should have a section that really discusses in detail these elements as they absolutely impact PVP very significantly.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind