Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez
05.19.2012 , 06:29 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by mikedee View Post
Should add something about rerolling to fatman on there now. Can't be a contender on a dead server.
Entirely irrelevant comment that has no other purpose but to spam. Please help us keep on target. Thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Eternal- View Post
PVP 101: How to become a contender
Roll a marauder. Case closed.
It would be really cool if you would edit your post to being significantly smaller. Quoting the entire guide serves no other purpose but to make it annoying for people to scroll past your posting. Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by JediDuckling View Post
only problem is you can follow tha guide and still not want to pvp as pvp in this game is so buggy broken unbalanced and pathetic at times.

everyone just plays all the overpowerd broken FOTM crap all the time, is it because they cant pvp and want easy wins, is it because they are lazy and only want to press 1 button for easy wins,or is it both because abusing all this just makes the legit players or the new pvp'ers want to quit, because its not fun at all how pvp is right now.
its not a l2p issue its a game breaking screw up issue.
The purpose of this guide is to work with people that want to PvP, and not at all to encourage others that don't want to, to start. Secondly, Comments regarding laziness or personal opinions about this or that being broken is irrelevant. This is not a rant thread about cheaters, bugs, etc. Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by Ragetacular View Post
Please highlight the fact that pvp warzones are objective driven. As you're learning how to play, make sure to understand what each warzone requires in order to win. If all you care about is doing the most damage, then you most likely are not helping your team win. If you are not actively paying attention to something you're supposed to be defending, then you're not really defending it. If you're in a good position for someone to pass the huttball to, then don't feel forced to move around, it's ok to be patient for the ball to be passed to you (and don't run outside of the pass circle when they do pass). Fundamentally defending is easier than attacking. You do not need to kill every person attacking you, you just need to survive and interrupt their action until help gets there.

Also fundamental: If you are fighting someone, and an enemy healer is healing that person, then you are effectively doing nothing. Either kill or cc healers in order to more easily kill enemies. On the flip side, try to protect your healers by killing or ccing enemies attacking them. A healer healing himself cannot heal you.
Yeah, a lot of good points that I've been mulling over for some time. I've been meaning to add a section dedicated to Warzone objective focus for a while. All in due time. Listed in my previous coming soon posts, I've often mentioned the desire to write class specific sections that detail out wauts to combat them, healers included. Thanks for the input dude, I really appreciate it. This is the sort of discussion I like to encourage.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hethroin View Post
I don't think I like your attitude.
I'm totally okay with that. I've learned early on in life that one cannot please everyone, therefore one must place the majority of one's efforts towards the demographic that one can please, or at least, as a meaningful impact on something that is relavant to one's own life, and/or existence.

May the force be with you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Geawiel View Post
Suggested adds to the OP:
MARK THE HEALERS! If you see a healer on the opposite team, mark them. Concentrate on that mark. You won't kill **** until you do.
I know, right?! Markers are so important and yet, so few actually use them, and since recent changes which allow ALL teammates to apply the markers, (instead of just the team leader) its made easier than ever to see that they are effectively put to good use. I've mentioned in the past that a section dedicated to markers is on my top list of things to add next. Thanks for reminding me and thanks for the great input!

JGames
05.19.2012 , 06:35 PM | #62
One can do good without many keybinds. One can do bad without many keybinds.

I for one, use keybinds, and recommend it.

Quote:
I'm totally okay with that. I've learned early on in life that one cannot please everyone, therefore one must place the majority of one's efforts towards the demographic that one can please, or at least, as a meaningful impact on something that is relavant to one's own life, and/or existence.

May the force be with you.
Loved this. True wisdom.

Ewgal
05.20.2012 , 05:15 AM | #63
I think joining a guild is very good advice. Social ones aren't really going to do. I would also advise not joining your servers PvP guilds, these tend to be filled with cheats, bums, and losers who just PvP all day with the current system and are nuts enough to think that makes them good. No, I would advise joining a guild that does PvE Ops raiding and also has players who PvP....you'll get more out of the game if you play PvE and PvP.
May the farce be with you

Leafy_Bug
05.20.2012 , 08:17 AM | #64
Well written it will help many. Just an idea ... maybe you can introduce something along the lines: learn thy enemy before you cry nerf?

Dencre
05.20.2012 , 09:55 AM | #65
Hopefully this will keep the kiddies from QQing for nerfs. Great Job, 5 stars I say!

Lunez
05.20.2012 , 02:58 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Ewgal View Post
I would advise joining a guild that does PvE Ops raiding and also has players who PvP....you'll get more out of the game if you play PvE and PvP.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote: Originally Posted by Leafy_Bug View Post
Well written it will help many. Just an idea ... maybe you can introduce something along the lines: learn thy enemy before you cry nerf?
Yeah, I totally agree. I'll throw that into the next update.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dencre View Post
Hopefully this will keep the kiddies from QQing for nerfs. Great Job, 5 stars I say!
Thanks for the encouragement. I realize this guide is far from perfect, but in time, I hope to make it as close to masterful as our community can can muster.

COMING SOON: (In this Order)
1) Re-vamping some intro/conclusion info to reflect more things to be mindful of.
2) Using Target placement in PvP
3) Section on what gear pieces to buy first, along with alternative views
4) Section on ripping Mods.
5) Section on stats specific to PvP

Will probably get to this either tonight, or tomorrow night!

DarthPunitor
05.21.2012 , 04:51 PM | #67
Heya Lunez,

Just an update from my earlier comments;
I, in fact, did end up dueling the ops boss in my guild. At 14k hp with 1k expertise i was able to take down 17k of his health before he was able to finish me. (He had 23k at the beginning). Another guildy (with 600 expertise and 15k hp) was able to take out 16k of his health, which i think proved the point.

Also, we were able to get 6 of us into one warzone (4 of us on vent) and annihilated the republic pug team 6-0 (despite the pubs all getting a higher damage score than most of us). So, I think that does validate your previous assertion that pve guilds will be just as effective in pvp.
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh (formerly)-
-The Tai Legacy- -Tai'for - Punitor - Lithany - Machiavelli - Davik -Her'acles-

Arzhanin
05.23.2012 , 09:37 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
Forum moderators, please sticky this thread. Thanks.
You rang?

Thanks to Lunez for creating this thread, and to those of you who have contributed to discussing and adding to it in a productive manner. It's helpful, informative, and constructive efforts like these that we like to see on the forums. We look forward to seeing it continue.

NoaFlux
05.24.2012 , 11:17 AM | #70
Wow good job this look extremely detailed!