Social Points for participation in PVP

sonickat

I'd like to see players awarded social points for completing a warzone, voting for an MVP, and for recieving MVP votes.

The rational is that of all the things you can be doing PVP is probably one of the most social parts of the game. It is kind of silly that it doesn't already offer social point gains.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Breaking the wall, I am constantly chatting and coordinating both in text and voice during pvp.

For random instance runs, loot rolls fill up the chat window so no one ever talks :p

Whereas most of the social stuff seems to reward you for roleplaying essentially. Participating in dialog with other people.

Edited by baronzemm

I'd like to see players awarded social points for completing a warzone, voting for an MVP, and for recieving MVP votes.

The rational is that of all the things you can be doing PVP is probably one of the most social parts of the game. It is kind of silly that it doesn't already offer social point gains.

This is dumb, dumb idea is dumb. Those of us, myself included, who worked their butts off in FPs and daily groups to get Social X... this is a slap in the face. Maybe you'd like doing WZs to also give you FP credit for your daily and weekly quest. While we're at it why not make WZs give you Nightmare Pilgrim kill credit for your speeder achievement quest. No. The end.

This is dumb, dumb idea is dumb. Those of us, myself included, who worked their butts off in FPs and daily groups to get Social X... this is a slap in the face. Maybe you'd like doing WZs to also give you FP credit for your daily and weekly quest. While we're at it why not make WZs give you Nightmare Pilgrim kill credit for your speeder achievement quest. No. The end.

I thing you are over-reacting. 1 social point per MVP, would still take far longer to get to social X than it would take with Flashpoints. Playing warzones is partly social, so why not give us also to social points for doing it. Your Nightmare Pilgrim argument is just stupid, so I will ignore that.

I thing you are over-reacting. 1 social point per MVP, would still take far longer to get to social X than it would take with Flashpoints. Playing warzones is partly social, so why not give us also to social points for doing it. Your Nightmare Pilgrim argument is just stupid, so I will ignore that.

This discussion is stupid, why not have PvP give Unicorn points to be spent on buying Elite Warlord gear? And the Nightmare Pilgrim was supposed to be stupid, it's called sarcasm. PvP and PvE are two different aspects of the game, stop confusing the two. PvP grants valor, PvE grants Social.

This discussion is stupid, why not have PvP give Unicorn points to be spent on buying Elite Warlord gear? And the Nightmare Pilgrim was supposed to be stupid, it's called sarcasm. PvP and PvE are two different aspects of the game, stop confusing the two. PvP grants valor, PvE grants Social.

That’s an excellent idea Unicorn points so we can buy everything! As long as it makes you mad, then it should be implemented, lol.

Back on topic, what are social Points? Ask yourself that? Is something to encourage players to play with other players?

For me, it is, and I do want more ways to gain social points, and one of the new ways should be playing with other people in PvP. It’s a social act; therefore it should grant you social points.

Personally I feel the puritist mind set (this is PvP, this is PvE, you should not get access to my carrot because you play some other aspect of the same game, is restrictive, it’s unfriendly and narrow minded.

My posture is same play time should get you access to all the content. Raid with PvP gear, PvP with Raid gear, PvP gives you social points, etc.

But that’s just me, A PvPer that likes to social PvE and RP.

Back on topic, what are social Points? Ask yourself that? Is something to encourage players to play with other players?

This is straight from the Social Points codex:

"When you adventure with other players, you earn social points. Social points are earned primarily by talking to NPCs while in a group with other players. You will earn points faster by being in larger groups and by winning rolls in conversations. However, any social points you accrue will not actually be awarded to you until you turn in the mission."

It's encouragement to do quest and FPs.

For me, it is, and I do want more ways to gain social points, and one of the new ways should be playing with other people in PvP. It’s a social act; therefore it should grant you social points.

Personally I feel the puritist mind set (this is PvP, this is PvE, you should not get access to my carrot because you play some other aspect of the same game, is restrictive, it’s unfriendly and narrow minded.

My posture is same play time should get you access to all the content. Raid with PvP gear, PvP with Raid gear, PvP gives you social points, etc.

But that’s just me, A PvPer that likes to social PvE and RP.

Than why don't I get Valor points for doing Social, can't have one without the other. When you kill someone in PvP it should bring up a social option that allows you to spare them, kill them or whatever. That way you can get Light / Dark points too!!

Edited by Rutrict

I think you miss the point of social points.

Social points are supposed to aware player interactions. Participating in Player vs Player combat is the most rudimentary form of player interaction in the game. Not getting social points for participating is a slap in the face of what social points are meant to represent. Not the face of those players who have earned them through other avenues.

It's not about making it easier its about making social activities reward social points.

I think you miss the point of social points.

Social points are supposed to aware player interactions. Participating in Player vs Player combat is the most rudimentary form of player interaction in the game. Not getting social points for participating is a slap in the face of what social points are meant to represent. Not the face of those players who have earned them through other avenues.

It's not about making it easier its about making social activities reward social points.

How is it social? You aren't interacting with anyone except the enemy, you're not stopping to talk to anyone. Coordination of your team isn't an interaction. It's called team work. You don't get social points from Raids for team work. I think it's YOU who fails to miss the point of social points. Stop being lazy. Do more than just PvP.

When you adventure with other players, you earn social points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure

An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.[1] The term is often used to refer to activities with some potential for physical danger, such as skydiving, mountain climbing and or participating in extreme sports.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adventure

1. an exciting or very unusual experience.

participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises: the spirit of adventure.

a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

I'm pretty sure that both PVE and PVP can fit the description of adventure...... and you participate in pvp with 8 others where as you only participate with 4 when doing flash points. So PVP by that right is adventurous with more players.

The rest of your quote about social points just explains how they are presently earned. That doesn't clarify their design intention nor does that take into account that everything changes and evolves. Ideas grow and improve. This is just the natural evolution of social points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adventure

I'm pretty sure that both PVE and PVP can fit the description of adventure...... and you participate in pvp with 8 others where as you only participate with 4 when doing flash points. So PVP by that right is adventurous with more players.

The rest of your quote about social points just explains how they are presently earned. That doesn't clarify their design intention nor does that take into account that everything changes and evolves. Ideas grow and improve. This is just the natural evolution of social points.

I think this is people spending too much time PvPing and not wanting to go out and do PvE content like quest. Stop being lazy.

Funny, I made time to get Social X and Valor rank 65... Man.. so hard.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s440/Anonymous19859/CharacterStats.jpg

Edited by Rutrict

How is it social? You aren't interacting with anyone except the enemy, you're not stopping to talk to anyone. Coordination of your team isn't an interaction. It's called team work. You don't get social points from Raids for team work. I think it's YOU who fails to miss the point of social points. Stop being lazy. Do more than just PvP.

I think my guild and friends would laugh at you for thinking that I spend all my time in PVP. Especially since Im the GM of a 16M PVE guild and don't nearly PVP as often as most.

Coordination of your team isn't an interaction.

Neither is spamming a space bar and the 1 key.

Funny, I made time to get Social X and Valor rank 65... Man.. so hard.

It's neither funny, nor is it relevant to the discussion at hand.

Edited by sonickat

I think my guild and friends would laugh at you for thinking that I spend all my time in PVP. Especially since Im the GM of a 16M PVE guild and don't nearly PVP as often as most.

Neither is spamming a space bar and the 1 key.

Gratz, I am currently the only Officer in the guild I run since our GM left for Tera. Funny we have this:

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s440/Anonymous19859/NightmarePilgrim.jpg

Also the only guild on server that's 3/4 HM EC 16m or 8m. So what's your point?

None of your arguments actually support your stance is my point.

It's not lazy to want social points for participating in a social activity such as pvp.

However your posts clearly make you elitist. Everyone has to feel important somehow I guess.

It's not lazy to want social points for participating in a social activity such as pvp.

However your posts clearly make you elitist. Everyone has to feel important somehow I guess.

That's nice you have your own opinions, also nice you fail to see my points. PvP isn't socializing, it's that simple. You aren't talking to anyone, you're fighting.

Let's try out a hypothesis for a second here:

You go in with 7 other people and do PvP.

You get 4 MVP votes, which grants you lets say 4 social points.

Everyone else gets screwed cause they don't get MVP votes?

Lets say for arguements sake you get 1 automatically for participating. So you get 5 points now.

Say you do 20 matches a day, that's more Social points than some people get because they don't do FPs or Dailys.

So you want to reward people social points for PvP and take away some of the incintive of doing quest with other players. "Why quest with someone for social when I can just PvP all day." This logic is flawed. In many many areas.

IEspecially since Im the GM of a 16M PVE guild

How is my comments elitest but this one isn't? Are you mad because I have done more than you? I don't get it. I would not have posted anything about myself had you not said this. Whatever.

Edited by Rutrict

How is my comments elitest but this one isn't? Are you mad because I have done more than you? I don't get it. I would not have posted anything about myself had you not said this. Whatever.

My comment was intended to show that I do things besides PVP since your original response told me to quit being lazy and do things besides pvp.

I don't get it either why only PvE players should get access to social points and the perks for having them.

I don't get it either why only PvE players should get access to social points and the perks for having them.

The same could be said about Valor outside of PvP. I kill someone on the PvE side of Ilum but I don't get Valor for it.

My comment was intended to show that I do things besides PVP since your original response told me to quit being lazy and do things besides pvp.

My comment was intended to show that I do PvP, which makes what I say hold more weight than not. My post about my achievements show that I am not just blowing smoke out my rear. Since I have been able to do all of these things without having Social points being awarded in PvP, my comments are indeed, not worthless. Kind of a, if I can do this why can't you?

The same could be said about Valor outside of PvP. I kill someone on the PvE side of Ilum but I don't get Valor for it.

I also would like to see that everyone get valour for killing people in the open world on any planet, but I guess BioWare is afraid that this could encurage ganking. But Valour isn't the topic here, we talk about social points!

On the comparison of Social Points sources and Valor sources.

You've got a whole game of quests.....pvp has a daily and a few go discover this location.

You've got 17 normal flashpoints, 11 hardmode flashpoints, and 2 operations with 3 modes and 1 with 2 modes....pvp has 4 Warzones.

There are 13 different social gear sets that can be worn by any class...... pvp now has 2 different valor sets per class (so only 2 options) and a 3rd you can wear with a rating.

It's pretty clear that Valor and Social Points are not an apples to apples comparison.

It's much more logical to accept that social points are meant to reward social interactions as the name implies and the definitions of the words support. Interacting with another player on any level should reward some level of social points. Saying that pvpers dont deserve social points because it would some how diminish the incentive to group for quests isn't a good answer to why they dont deserve them.

It means quests aren't rewarding or fun enough or that the social point rewards from those quests aren't good enough or the rate at which you earn them questing is too slow.

The two are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to withhold something form one group for the sake of propping up the other.

I also would like to see that everyone get valour for killing people in the open world on any planet, but I guess BioWare is afraid that this could encurage ganking. But Valour isn't the topic here, we talk about social points!

I totally agree.

You should get valor anywhere in the world for killing a player. It should be deminished on some sort of time table though so that repeatedly farming a player doesnt reward valor and likewise you should only earn valor from a player whos level would yield experience if you were in pve.

Kind of a, if I can do this why can't you?

By this logic alone you should be required to reinvent the wheel, rediscover fire, and build a rocket to launch a satalite into space so you can use your cell phone. Things change things evolve get over it. As a human being we don't commit and relearn all the mistake of humanity everytime one of us is born. We stand on the shoulders of our ancestors.

You did all this great for you!

It's a mistake that bioware made this oversight to begin with. You should of been given incentive to vote for mvps. Its a core mechanic of pvp - when you vote someone else is given greater rewards for their efforts yet many people dont vote not because someone doesnt deserve the vote but because they arent aware of how it works or they don't care because it's not them getting the rewards.

I choose to participate in an activity that requires I work with other players. How I interact with those players weither I am a good team player weither I follow a strategy those are all social traits of being a team member. As a social traite it makes total sense to reward social points for those actions.

Kinda of errily reminescent of the reason you want social points to remain important for questing. Why should I quest with you if I dont get anything out of it.