Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Player First Impressions and Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
New Player First Impressions and Questions

lordofdamornin
05.10.2012 , 12:59 PM | #11
Welcome, PLynkes, and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.

This game is designed to allow anyone, of any playstyle (1 hour per week, or 20 hours per day, and everything in between) to reach level 50, and finish their class quest at their own pace. If you do everything there is to do, you will find yourself quite over-levelled for the content. Don't worry about challenge though, the showcase encounters in both the main planetary story arcs, and your class quest, are designed to be a fun challenge. Also, you will probably lose most of your level advantage after you finish Quesh. You can look forward to this as a challenge reset, of sorts.

You mentioned being new to MMO's in general. This game's cinematic, story-driven levelling experience is unique, as far as I am aware, so if you try another one expecting this same kind of experience, you might be disappointed.

Again, welcome to the game, and if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask in this forum, or your class forum. Enjoy the journey.

Rit

Ganrax
05.10.2012 , 01:11 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by PLynkes View Post
Press spacebar to skip conversation
Press spacebar plz
Spacebar plz

Jeez, does it not occur to you that I might actually want to, you know, listen to the damn conversation before I pick an option? Seems to me that most people I meet are in one hell of a hurry to charge headlong off into the sunset towards that mythical 50th Level, rather than enjoying the journey reaching it. Why is that? I hear there isn't all that much to do when you actually get there.
Like someone else has said in here, you have to keep in mind that the game has been out for 5 months now so I would say the majority of the people you run with have already seen those conversations several times and simply skip through them. You can usually avoid any complaining about it if you state beforehand that you haven't done the said flashpoint before and would like to watch the cutscenes(I know I personally don't care as long as someone in the group gives me a heads up and I'm not trying to burn through the place as fast as I can so I don't have to leave early to join an operation). Most people are under the assumption at this point that if you don't say anything you'll be space barring so it is just a nice courtesy to give them the heads up so that they can watch the cutscene too instead of staring at "waiting for other players" and avoid most of the complaints about it.

PLynkes
05.10.2012 , 03:21 PM | #13
Did a flashpoint (I think that is the right term - those missions on the fleet) earlier tonight with some other guys I just met. We seemed to connect pretty well, and I had even more fun doing that than I have had playing through the main quest. The social aspect brings a sort of unexpected factor that is difficult to pin down, but it is just somehow more fun than solo play (at least when the group are all on the same page).

One guy dropped out at the first sign of a setback (we accidentally activated too many enemies at once and they creamed us), but the remaining three of us resolved to carry on without him. We got killed by the main boss baddie several times but we kept trying and eventually got him after attempting a few different strategies (only me left on my feet at the end, and with just a whisper of health left too). It was very satisfying, especially after the defeats. The most fun I think I've had in the game yet, and nice people too.

Two of us were going to do another, but unfortunately couldn't get another group together in the time I had left before I needed to be somewhere else in real life. Never mind though, today's short session was fantastic.

geulsae
05.10.2012 , 03:34 PM | #14
Ignore the people who tells you to spacebar.
They'll either leave group or shutup. Most likely the latter since it's so damn hard to find groups. LOLz

haliy
05.11.2012 , 02:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ganrax View Post
You can usually avoid any complaining about it if you state beforehand that you haven't done the said flashpoint before and would like to watch the cutscenes(I know I personally don't care as long as someone in the group gives me a heads up and I'm not trying to burn through the place as fast as I can so I don't have to leave early to join an operation).
Your like myself where I personnaly don't mind playing the waiting game for those that have never seen the FP before. I do it constantly for those new to my guild that are new to the game also. However, I have seen in some cases where it is expected from some and the individual who has stated in the group that they have been threw the fp before, other players would leave the group. At times like this, I'm glad the tank being played is myself.

On the matter of planet heroics, some players enjoy some planets over others (I absolutly loathe Quesh and Nar Shadda). I will just stick with the class quest skipping over every single other side quest there is (unless other guildies are running the same area) in order to get off that plannet ASAP. I'm sure others have the same feeling.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kja - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

AMulls
05.11.2012 , 11:26 AM | #16
Welcome to the game! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'm a MMO new kid as well.

As for the "spacebar plz" folks, that does get a little annoying. One thing that I've done, particularly if everyone has played it before, is to just hit the spacebar to get through the FP. Then, at a later level (usually 8-12 levels above the recommended level for the FP), I'll go back and solo it. You don't get much in the way of experience, since it's greyed out at the point, but then you can take your time and see the story of it, and not have to worry about holding up anyone else. Plus, you get to keep any loot for yourself.

If you ever find yourself on Tarro Blood server, feel free to shoot me a message if you see any of these toons on: Andae (Jedi Guardian), Ando (Gunslinger), Mull (Sith Juggernaut), or Mullus (Sith Sorcerer). Always happy to run through FPs, high or low.

Decani_Bass
05.11.2012 , 12:12 PM | #17
Hi PLynkes

Nice thread!

I'm not a MMORPG noob, rather, been playing for many years... usually prefer Solo play as I hate the Know-it-alls who berate you for not 'pulling' the right Mob or not 'Buff-ing' the right group member at the right time, or not bringing along the right bit of kit. I don't play enough hours every day to become an UberMeister - just want to have a little fun!

But, very occasionally, it can go very well when you team up with a nice bunch of friendly guys (as you've described) and then the game becomes a pleasure to play. I go out of my way to help other people by buffing them as they go past or helping defeat an enemy - and I'm happy to help anyone to complete a quest. I really don't understand why anyone would get so grumpy in a game as to berate me publicly as a 'complete noob'... everyone has to learn, and the only way, surely, is to have a little friendly guidance from more experienced players?

Joining a good Guild is a great way to get constructive advice and quest help!

lordofdamornin
05.11.2012 , 01:13 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Decani_Bass View Post
Hi PLynkes
I really don't understand why anyone would get so grumpy in a game as to berate me publicly as a 'complete noob'... everyone has to learn, and the only way, surely, is to have a little friendly guidance from more experienced players?
Most of these people have conveniently forgotten that they too, were once noobs.

Rit

DPCummerbund
05.11.2012 , 02:07 PM | #19
I totally agree with the OP.

I have never found a game with so much story and enjoyable content. Every other MMO I've played has been a fairly boring grind compared to SWTOR. I've quit every other MMO I've played by the mid 20 level or so out of sheer boredom.

It often amazes me to see the negativity about this game on so many threads. I wonder if a lot of people are playing it backwards (like the OP's story about the pub crawl). To me, I don't play a flashpoint or quest to get the gear. I play the story to enjoy the story. The gear I get at the end just enables me to play more story. I would no more "grind" through levels than I would read a bad book just to get to the end, or sit through a boring movie just to say I watched it.

Deadlyknights
05.11.2012 , 02:33 PM | #20
For any missions I have done on an alt or flashpoints I have done before I tend to mash the space bar.....but I have never once asked others to do the same.

Do warzones early...even if you hate PVP.....I am not a fan of PVP...never really was tbh, but once I hit level 10 and get to fleet....I run warzones till level 13-14...then work on the first flashpoint a few times....I do the same once I get my ship and do space missions for 3-4 days before I log out....I find this has always kept me 2-3 levels ahead of any planet I am going to.

SWTOR has its goods and bads (both in terms of players and game play) but even after 6 years of WoW, this game feels like a fresh start to MMO's....

That and Lightsabers....really...who dont love Lightsabers and Dark Side Cookies....

Knightfyre 47 Sith Jugg - Grand Master Zym
Skyefyre 26 Mercenary - Grand Master Zym