Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Agent story line, spoil me!


Celacia's Avatar


Celacia
05.22.2012 , 10:10 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalterien View Post
I just finished this story...

Mind is blown.... mind is blown...

I LOVE IT!
Best story? BEST STORY.

Kalterien's Avatar


Kalterien
05.22.2012 , 10:25 PM | #22
I don't know about best story though, it was definitely up there. I liked the SW one a lot too. I'm more than willing to replay both SW and IA, JC .. not so much same with Trooper and those are the 4 I've actually finished.

And I just noticed that the ones I'll play again are both Imperial..... huh....
"Bow before me, or fall before me." - Daigotsu Kanpeki
Live. Grow Stronger. Fight another day.

DarthRobert's Avatar


DarthRobert
05.22.2012 , 10:30 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalterien View Post
I just finished this story... I LOVE IT!
I too finished it last night and I totally concur. It's got some great homages to the spy genre.

Spoiler

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
05.23.2012 , 05:35 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRobert View Post
I too finished it last night and I totally concur. It's got some great homages to the spy genre.
I'm not a big spy movie fan and I was glad to find that I still really enjoyed this plotline.

I'm replaying SW again first...uh, twice...because I have unfinished business there, but IA is one that I absolutely intend to run again, more than once. Most classes, you do male/female DS/LS for maybe two playthroughs total and then you've seen it all. Here? Not so much.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Celacia's Avatar


Celacia
05.23.2012 , 07:15 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I'm not a big spy movie fan and I was glad to find that I still really enjoyed this plotline.

I'm replaying SW again first...uh, twice...because I have unfinished business there, but IA is one that I absolutely intend to run again, more than once. Most classes, you do male/female DS/LS for maybe two playthroughs total and then you've seen it all. Here? Not so much.
I, um, am replaying Livia on the server we play our Republic characters on. Exactly the same, except for one fairly minor decision. Because I am crazy (but also, mostly because I want to record the conversations as well as unlock Chiss on that server, to see if I can manage to make someone who fits with the JK's voice for me). I also have a male agent who is waiting for SGRs to go in.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.24.2012 , 12:25 AM | #26
Since I don't feel like putting SPOILER TAGS in here.... But I will, anyhow.

Spoiler
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.24.2012 , 10:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JediElf View Post
Is it just me. or does the early parts of Chapter 2 kinda remind you of the manga Crying Freeman.

I will say, as much as I love all of the Imperial classes, and my Sith Warrior(and his amazing companions)...the Agent has, hands down, the best writing, and Player Character voice acting in the game. I play a male agent, I've not heard the female Agent that much...is she just as good?

When I came back to Nar Shadaa, and when...well....when 'that incident' happened. I was just blown away, and completely hooked on the story.
I still have every episode of the anime on VHS.... Crying Freeman, that is.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

wavyhill's Avatar


wavyhill
05.25.2012 , 05:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Since I don't feel like putting SPOILER TAGS in here.... But I will, anyhow.

Spoiler
I can never understand why people like to gush about the Agent story as if it's some glittering opal of writing. Seeing posts like this make me flashback to bloody TVTropes and it's legions of far too emotionally invested fanboys.

I'll agree that Ch1 is good, really it should be the poster child for all the other Chapters in the game. But that's only because the end is really head and shoulders anything and everything else the game has to offer. That last mission is wonderfully executed and makes up for stuff like Dromund Kaas and Alderann both being so boring that I can't remember what the story on those planets were or Watcher-X being so transparently shifty and backstabbing that there was never any tension or conflict for the entirety of Nar Shaddaa, just a plodding, interminable wait for the inevitable.

Coming off the high that is the whole You Know Who encounter, even though it was horribly bugged, I had high hopes for Ch2. Especially since the lead up seemed so promising: a deep cover infiltration mission as a double agent. Finally! Real spy stuff instead of bloody terrorist hunting.

Too that that anticipation got stuffed into a refrigerator part way through the first quest. From there on lots of words and phrases come to my mind when I think back to Ch2: disappointment, very silly, contrived plot device, poor attempts at trying to screw with perception like Philip K Dick, a BBEG that's just kind of a chump; even if he does have a glowbat, rakghouls are, and will remain, utterly stupid no matter what anyone tries to do with them, Doc Lokin is easily the best of the Agents pets, even with the rakghoul idiocy, Ensign Temple is mind bogglingly dull and uninteresting, the Chiss commander guy in Hoth makes a much, much better love interest for the chick Agent than bugboy and his ilk, despite that Hoth is still hands down the best zone in the game because it's completely opposite annoying crap like Voss and Nar Shaddaa, and did I mention the horrendous disappointment?

Well after that I wasn't about to get excited for Ch3 and boy-howdy am I glad I didn't. If "very silly" is the descriptor for Ch2 then then for Ch3 it must be "extraordinarily silly." There is no pretense of subtly here, just vast collections of *** pulls that to attempt to ramp up the villain's threat level while also making them as uninteresting as possible. The kind of one-upmanship between protagonist and antagonist that you typically see in soap operas and animes that have run for far too long. Not to mention the unwanted and unneeded plot twist that added nothing but plot twisty-ness to the whole endevour.

At least the ultimate conclusion was vaguely satisfying, and I'm glad that at least one class story has multiple endings that differ fairly significantly from each other and doesn't require a "CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY BUTTON" like Deus Ex: HR had.

That being said, I do want to reiterate the points that I liked. Lest they get lost in the sea of sourness.

1) The ending of Ch1 is just great. All other stories in this game wish they got wrapped up with such care and attention. If you haven't done it yet then go do it now. Preferably as an Operative so you can skip the bullcrap parts like The Unending Corridors of Sameness and The Ugly Bug Ball.

2) I genuinely like Doctor Lokin and Kaliyo as characters. I thought they added to the story as a whole in an enjoyable way, unlike the other 3 chuckleheads you get saddled with.

3) The ability to get different endings, some of them very radically different from the others, was a very pleasant surprise and one that I welcomed wholeheartedly.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.25.2012 , 08:21 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by wavyhill View Post
I can never understand why people like to gush about the Agent story as if it's some glittering opal of writing. Seeing posts like this make me flashback to bloody TVTropes and it's legions of far too emotionally invested fanboys.

I'll agree that Ch1 is good, really it should be the poster child for all the other Chapters in the game. But that's only because the end is really head and shoulders anything and everything else the game has to offer. That last mission is wonderfully executed and makes up for stuff like Dromund Kaas and Alderann both being so boring that I can't remember what the story on those planets were or Watcher-X being so transparently shifty and backstabbing that there was never any tension or conflict for the entirety of Nar Shaddaa, just a plodding, interminable wait for the inevitable.

Coming off the high that is the whole You Know Who encounter, even though it was horribly bugged, I had high hopes for Ch2. Especially since the lead up seemed so promising: a deep cover infiltration mission as a double agent. Finally! Real spy stuff instead of bloody terrorist hunting.

Too that that anticipation got stuffed into a refrigerator part way through the first quest. From there on lots of words and phrases come to my mind when I think back to Ch2: disappointment, very silly, contrived plot device, poor attempts at trying to screw with perception like Philip K Dick, a BBEG that's just kind of a chump; even if he does have a glowbat, rakghouls are, and will remain, utterly stupid no matter what anyone tries to do with them, Doc Lokin is easily the best of the Agents pets, even with the rakghoul idiocy, Ensign Temple is mind bogglingly dull and uninteresting, the Chiss commander guy in Hoth makes a much, much better love interest for the chick Agent than bugboy and his ilk, despite that Hoth is still hands down the best zone in the game because it's completely opposite annoying crap like Voss and Nar Shaddaa, and did I mention the horrendous disappointment?

Well after that I wasn't about to get excited for Ch3 and boy-howdy am I glad I didn't. If "very silly" is the descriptor for Ch2 then then for Ch3 it must be "extraordinarily silly." There is no pretense of subtly here, just vast collections of *** pulls that to attempt to ramp up the villain's threat level while also making them as uninteresting as possible. The kind of one-upmanship between protagonist and antagonist that you typically see in soap operas and animes that have run for far too long. Not to mention the unwanted and unneeded plot twist that added nothing but plot twisty-ness to the whole endevour.

At least the ultimate conclusion was vaguely satisfying, and I'm glad that at least one class story has multiple endings that differ fairly significantly from each other and doesn't require a "CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY BUTTON" like Deus Ex: HR had.

That being said, I do want to reiterate the points that I liked. Lest they get lost in the sea of sourness.

1) The ending of Ch1 is just great. All other stories in this game wish they got wrapped up with such care and attention. If you haven't done it yet then go do it now. Preferably as an Operative so you can skip the bullcrap parts like The Unending Corridors of Sameness and The Ugly Bug Ball.

2) I genuinely like Doctor Lokin and Kaliyo as characters. I thought they added to the story as a whole in an enjoyable way, unlike the other 3 chuckleheads you get saddled with.

3) The ability to get different endings, some of them very radically different from the others, was a very pleasant surprise and one that I welcomed wholeheartedly.
Haters gonna hate. *shrug*
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

DarthRobert's Avatar


DarthRobert
05.26.2012 , 02:31 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Since I don't feel like putting SPOILER TAGS in here.... But I will, anyhow.
This is quite possibly the best summary I have seen. Almost as exciting as playing the story itself. Well done!