Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why I, a middle-aged male gamer, need this MMO.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why I, a middle-aged male gamer, need this MMO.

Hatonastick
05.09.2012 , 07:05 PM | #1
When you are male and young you enjoy running about shooting the hell out of things and blowing crap up in the latest FPS, but as you get older you find yourself slowing down and wanting a bit more out of your games so you get into MMO’s – next thing you know you are collecting 20 flowers for Twinkles the fairy so she can hold her tea party for all her happy-time friends and wondering where it all went wrong.

However SWTOR saves me from yet-another-generic-happy-time-fantasy-game and allows me to rediscover my youth (which of course is really important when you hit your 40's as a male -- especially when you can't afford a sports car) and relive those times of fast guns and loose grenades; all while playing a game my aging reflexes(*) can handle.

* Yeah ok, I might still regularly kick behind in an online action PvP game, but my reflexes are slowing down. Honest.
This space for rent.

DogMeat
05.09.2012 , 07:10 PM | #2
So true !
As a new 50 year old it is more fun in an MMO World, yet...
TOR has dropped the ball and left me UN happy to say the least.
It is fun but who whats to re -eoll every class on dead servers.... Not I.
¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬°¯°█|{████████████████████████████████████████)Wet Wookie Time

Serbegorn
05.09.2012 , 07:12 PM | #3
Fellow old head here. You guys check out The Secret World yet? No fairies and they got plenty of guns.

Skidrowbro
05.09.2012 , 07:12 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DogMeat View Post
So true !
As a new 50 year old it is more fun in an MMO World, yet...
TOR has dropped the ball and left me UN happy to say the least.
It is fun but who whats to re -eoll every class on dead servers.... Not I.
Re-roll on a non empty server?

Come to the Swiftshire, it's a very good server. And what I just typed is what everyone else should be doing as well. Instead of writing back to the hate posts that everyone is making about server issues, the one who are on a healthy server should be opening their arms and saying, "Come on in!!!"

Dezzi
05.09.2012 , 07:12 PM | #5
Sweet post, OP. I hope SWTOR provides what you're looking for. I really do.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

SentinelDranoel
05.09.2012 , 07:12 PM | #6
woot, I just love star wars and bioware games more then...mmos in general. I need this mmo because the story allows me to have some really intersting avatars. We need more dialogue choices like true bioware games, not this dumbed down crap for people who can stand to listen to people talk.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix

Nightfalll
05.09.2012 , 09:17 PM | #7
Heya Mr.OP, props for gaming past 40.....

And don't give me that 'reflexes are slowing' stuff......Mental acuity can more then make up for twitch reflexes.

Im 42 and kick the crap out of these kids.....Its epic...........

By gaming, your actually HELPING your hand/eye coord as well.....Everythings good mate!
"I wonder what you will say when SWTOR surpasses WoW in subs.

Something like Oh it will die in 2 years from now, when it doesnt you change your opinion and say Oh its 4 years." quote from DARTHDOLL 2/25/2012

Phrase
05.09.2012 , 09:20 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightfalll View Post
Heya Mr.OP, props for gaming past 40.....

And don't give me that 'reflexes are slowing' stuff......Mental acuity can more then make up for twitch reflexes.

Im 42 and kick the crap out of these kids.....Its epic...........

By gaming, your actually HELPING your hand/eye coord as well.....Everythings good mate!
It might even help us fight off Alzheimer's....

....Wait what was I talking about?

Sixgun
The Bastion

Atifex
05.09.2012 , 09:29 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Serbegorn View Post
Fellow old head here. You guys check out The Secret World yet? No fairies and they got plenty of guns.
The Secret World was interesting until they removed the aiming aspect from the game, and reverted back to tab targetting... It's not a game that should have tab targetting, since it was originally pulling away from the traditional MMO
"Pass me the scalpel, I’ll make an incision
I’ll cut off the part of your brain that does the b*tching
Put it in formaldehyde and put it in the shelf
And you can show it to your friends and say “that’s my old self”" - RIP MCA

Skyzen
05.09.2012 , 09:42 PM | #10
Isn't middle-aged around your late 30's... maybe early 40s? Unless you're planning on 100
Love your enemies.