Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The ongoing Beta test

Borgbunny
05.09.2012 , 04:03 PM | #1
So, I have a few minutes while the last MOB Aric shot with his invisible cannon realizes that he's dead and flops to the ground, and I thought I'd relay some impressions I have of the game to date. And this is not a QQ of the issues pertaining to PvP, or this or that class, but a set of recommendations to those who take up this game:

When playing, do not put too much stock on LoS. The enemy bosses will ALWAYS find you, even if they have to move across significant portions of the landscape, at an accelerated pace. In fact, as often as not, the animation literally looks like they are levitating from their starting position to your location. In both PvP and PvE, you will notice an extraordinary bending effect to abilities as you shoot (and are shot) around corners, through stairs and walls, etc.

The effect noted above does not apply to heals. On flat terrain, the border of a walkway is sufficient to block any cast. That 6" tall berm is, to the game, a wall. Taral V, for example, is a magical place where empty air can prevent heals from even being cast, let alone land. Additionally, enemies that climb on top of items in the landscape (missile stacks, boxes, etc.) cannot be targeted. They, however, have little difficulty targeting you.

When you or a party member dies (and it will happen, given that the server doesn't seem to know exactly where you are much of the time), you/they can become so embedded in the terrain, that you/they disappear entirely, or cannot be targeted for a res. All that exiting and returning to the area, though, is good cardio I guess. The effect is even odder when the server has lost track of you yet again, and the mob you were in the middle of combat with simply EVADES back to their starting position.

And trust me when I tell you that fighting your way to that Hard Mode end chest and finding that, in spite of all the reassurances, some percentage of the time you will see loot drop for classes that are not actually in the party. The handful of Tionese crystals should be adequate compensation for your time, though. That the Tionese gear is inferior to much of the orange moddable gear is simply icing on the cake.

By and large, I'm just tied of the ongoing beta test that is TOR. The matrix cubes, the armor set bonuses, broken physics, badly optimized video drivers (assuming they're optimized at all), recurring DC issues, and periodic catastrophic crashes all combine to make the game a...challenge to play.

Borgbunny
05.09.2012 , 04:25 PM | #2
This was not about a specific flashpoint, devs. Interesting that you would treat it that way.

WereMops
05.09.2012 , 04:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Borgbunny View Post
So, I have a few minutes while the last MOB Aric shot with his invisible cannon realizes that he's dead and flops to the ground, and I thought I'd relay some impressions I have of the game to date. And this is not a QQ of the issues pertaining to PvP, or this or that class, but a set of recommendations to those who take up this game:
<snipped the rest>
I can have a go too.
Neither I or my friends have encountered much of what the OP has, the problems the OP states are in my opinion highly exagerated or atleast not common to every player, sure the game has bugs, but I and my friends have only encountered minor glitches and non-severe bugs (except for a few that was hotfixed pretty fast) so far and we've been playing since release.

So my recommendation is to try the game out and make up your own mind, don't listen to me or the OP.
No matter how right you think you are, consider that you might be wrong.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people just shouldn't have the right to announce it.