Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers

Scorpienne
05.08.2012 , 03:09 PM | #11
RP servers are just a tiny fraction of the overall servers. Since my work productivity has been shot to heck in a handbasket, I've been doing more math (I solve word problems for a living, so this kind of stuff is fun and second nature to me).

Even though we RP servers are a relatively small part of the total number of US servers, we have higher populations, on average, than the PvE and PvP servers. We’re probably more concentrated.

41 PvP servers; average pop = 385
70 PvE servers; average pop = 479
9 RP PvE servers; average pop = 598
3 RP PvP servers; average pop = 680

Sanxxx
05.08.2012 , 03:09 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Muskaan View Post
I still don't see why they decided that a full server should have around 3000 people. Based on studies calculated on WoW, on an average around 10% of a server's pop is online at a time. So, that's around 300 people on an average on a full server. That's very low.
I read 10-15%, so in theory if you calculated a population for all servers and them multiplied by 7-10x you would get an estimate of current active subs.

Muskaan
05.08.2012 , 03:17 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
RP servers are just a tiny fraction of the overall servers. Since my work productivity has been shot to heck in a handbasket, I've been doing more math (I solve word problems for a living, so this kind of stuff is fun and second nature to me).

Even though we RP servers are a relatively small part of the total number of US servers, we have higher populations, on average, than the PvE and PvP servers. We’re probably more concentrated.

41 PvP servers; average pop = 385
70 PvE servers; average pop = 479
9 RP PvE servers; average pop = 598
3 RP PvP servers; average pop = 680
If you extended that further--
If they had stuck to 20 PvE servers as against 70, then average population would be 1676 per server.
10 PvE servers, ave pop = 3353 ( > full) !!!
50 Sorc Healer/DPS
- We Brake For Nobody - (RIP)
Empire US-West PvE soon-to-be defunct raiding guild
(5/5 Eternity Vault HM, 5/5 Karagga's Palace HM)

Arunas
05.08.2012 , 03:18 PM | #14
Since I was bored I did some math based on these formulas. Seems like total (US/EU/pacific) is around 80k players which is 6% of reported active accounts.

Also only 30+ servers are needed to support current population then.

Masakari_
05.08.2012 , 03:19 PM | #15
It's a dual problem then - too many servers, and the server cap is too low.

I'm guessing the server cap might be related to Hero Engine problems - ie it can't handle too many players at once.
Masakari, Bounty Hunter
The Old Republic era action figures

revial
05.08.2012 , 03:21 PM | #16
While the RP servers could be said to have 'high' population, let's keep some perspective. They're still less than half of the only truly well populated server in the entire game: Fatman.

Relativity can easily cloud one's conclusions.

I play on AP, and we have a hard time hitting 100 people on Fleet these days, and I've seen it as low as 12. Prior to 1.2, we always had 150+, and I certainly never saw it remotely close to 12.

So, I'd hardly consider AP (a RP-PVP) server, 'high' population, just because it happens to be in the top portion of that list.

All the list really tells us is there's only one healthy server, and a looooooooooooooooooooot of unhealthy ones, and even Fatman is a shell of what it was pre-1.2. It used to have multiple fleet instances, with 300+ people on fleet. I can't recall the last time I saw that many on Fleet there. Looking at the history graphs, you'll see that the trend has been a big population decline-game wide-after 1.2 hit.

If that's not a damning acclimation on how pointless that Legacy patch was, I don't know what is.
I may now be playing with 140 ms ping (that sometimes jumps up to 240),
but I'll still kick your behind.
Enjoying the game again on Jung Ma.
Classes left to level: Gunslinger, Assassin, Powertech

Galbatorrix
05.08.2012 , 03:22 PM | #17
I started out on The courageous and The Razor. I'm now on Jedi Covenant and Canderous Ordo.

Needless to say, I'm much happier since I rerolled.

Scorpienne
05.08.2012 , 03:23 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanxxx View Post
I read 10-15%, so in theory if you calculated a population for all servers and them multiplied by 7-10x you would get an estimate of current active subs.
Okay, I've only done this for the US servers....

For those of you who like to see the math...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WdqUUh1WmdZUFE

I get an average overall pop for US servers of 56,795.

x7 = 397,565
x10 = 567,950

Hm. Maybe the math is wrong. We seem to be rather low. Or maybe oceanic/European servers have a lot of pop.

Paige

Goretzu
05.08.2012 , 03:24 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
Thoughts?
Those numbers make sense, basically for a server to feel populated you're looking at needing a Heavy or even V Heavy server at prime time (you could even make an arguement for a Full one).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

SentinelDranoel
05.08.2012 , 03:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Saregon View Post
The Ebon Hawk FTW!

We are "healthy" I think. Not too heavy, and not light by any means.

Just right.™
just how I like my women
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic anyday