Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does every boss need an enrage timer?

reuterrat
05.08.2012 , 12:08 AM | #1
Seriously, I understand the need for making things challenging, but is the only way to do that with an enrage timer? Just tired of every single fight having a time limit... Seems like there could be more creative ways to make the fights challenging.

Toweleeeie
05.08.2012 , 12:59 AM | #2
It's a dps check. Without it you could just bring tanks and healers, which would make it an easier fight.

And no they can't come up with something better, bc they didn't.
I like turtles

Darth-Malice
05.08.2012 , 01:13 AM | #3
Because adding complex fight mechanics, multiphase fights, player choices effecting fights would be too hard. So the easy way out was taken.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

Glorionn
05.08.2012 , 01:23 AM | #4
Unless I'm going to different operations, they do in fact have multi-phase fights...
Glor - CommandoGlorion - Guardian
Glory - SageGlorific - Gunslinger
Harlequin of Master Dar'nala

theblaznee
05.08.2012 , 02:00 AM | #5
I came to the realization that they made some design decisions that are now working against them. The fact that a player can in reality recieve unlimited healing, makes it so they have to have quite tight enrages to avoid people cheesing it.. Imagine bringing a Sentinel and 7 healers to a fight.. They can keep the sentinel going forever against any boss with a litte practise, pretty much with no regard to mechanics.
They also made the decision to only have resource pools on players and not on enemies. So there are no abilities in play like stamina or manadrains that would require a mix of classes at fights. They only really have "ranged" or "melee" to deal with.
With these choices it must be a ***** to design interesting encounters without them just reusing the same mechanics again and again, with enrages calculated to within half a players theoretical dps.

It really was a shot in the foot move, as raids are suddenly pressured into bringing the optimal setup.. There's no "casual" raiding where you can just bring whomever is online, and going with 7 people makes it A LOT harder than with that 8th person..

And yes, the fights are easy, so in THAT regard it is casual..
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

Daiyukie
05.08.2012 , 02:04 AM | #6
Because crappy design
"Everyone not as good as me is a Noob. Everyone better than me is a No Lifer" - The Code of the Bads
Quote: Originally Posted by gwrtheyn
atm Concealment Operative are like a dog humping on your leg,anoying,but not lethal
Quote: Originally Posted by jaxxxster
Solution : Nerf Operatives. Again.

Dyslexicon
05.08.2012 , 02:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Malice View Post
Because adding complex fight mechanics, multiphase fights, player choices effecting fights would be too hard. So the easy way out was taken.
I hope this is just their beginning efforts at MMO fight design and will move on to better fights soon, hopefully in 1.3. I was glad for Kephess HM to have a non-tradition enrage as well with the purple circles filling the fight area, like Karraga as well.
Dark Side Up - Mandalore the Indomitable

Leovinus
05.08.2012 , 04:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Toweleeeie View Post
It's a dps check. Without it you could just bring tanks and healers, which would make it an easier fight.

And no they can't come up with something better, bc they didn't.
This argument pops up in every single thread about this. And it's a ridiculous one. DPS checks =/= Enrage timers. There are games out there that have quite strict dps checks and NO hard enrages at all. And even if there were a select few fights that had no dps checks at all, who cares? The percentage of the population that would be willing to spend that kind of time required to kill something with 7 healers and 1 tank or dps is so minimal as to be a non-issue.

Cassp
05.08.2012 , 04:33 AM | #9
Honestly if you're hitting enrage timers and complaining about bad fight design at the same time, you are or most likely have a terrible group. the only somewhat but not at all too hard enrage timer, is hardmode fireband/stormcaller.
If you're hitting an enrage timer, you're probably **** and won't be able to kill a boss with a slight amount of thinking, because dps in this game isn't hard.

for 4 mans.............................................. . thats all, just .......................

TLDR.. cry me a river

Codek
05.08.2012 , 07:01 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Leovinus View Post
This argument pops up in every single thread about this. And it's a ridiculous one. DPS checks =/= Enrage timers. There are games out there that have quite strict dps checks and NO hard enrages at all. And even if there were a select few fights that had no dps checks at all, who cares? The percentage of the population that would be willing to spend that kind of time required to kill something with 7 healers and 1 tank or dps is so minimal as to be a non-issue.
It's not even just the 7 healers and 1 tank scenario that's a problem. It's the fact that anyone could trade in 1 extra healer alone that would make survival in the harder fights a joke. By trading 1 DPS for a healer you sacrifice killing the boss two minutes earlier for the ability to have everyone topped off on health at all times.... Wheres the challenge in that?
~Codek