Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Identity crisis..."that name is not available"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Identity crisis..."that name is not available"

-Rxu-
05.07.2012 , 06:33 PM | #1
Its happened to us all (maybe), you try a new server and want to keep your current preferred handle and after carefully customizing your character you enter your beloved name only to realize it has been taken by someone else. You feel robbed, violated and upset. What can you do? Nothing I guess

Dezzi
05.07.2012 , 06:39 PM | #2
I hate unique character names for this exact reason. As a roleplayer, it's a severe detriment to my game experience.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

Talsalus
05.07.2012 , 06:42 PM | #3
imo they should let us name our character whatever we want. If there is someone with the same name in the same instance as you... you can be identified by you legacy...... (I do believe legacy should still be unique tho)

Drudenfusz
05.07.2012 , 06:46 PM | #4
I am also not happy that BioWare decided to go with that system, there are solutions out there in other MMOs which work well.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Dezzi
05.07.2012 , 06:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
I am also not happy that BioWare decided to go with that system, there are solutions out there in other MMOs which work well.
I love how STO handled this; their use of a unique gaming ID allows for an infinite number of the same character name. I don't feel like I have to use up character slots (as I do in SWTOR) to reserve names there.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

Liquidacid
05.07.2012 , 06:53 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Talsalus View Post
imo they should let us name our character whatever we want. If there is someone with the same name in the same instance as you... you can be identified by you legacy...... (I do believe legacy should still be unique tho)
every player doesn't even have a legacy, they don't show in chat at all and you can choose to hide them... so no that is a horrible idea... would make CS a nightmare
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

doctor_atomic
05.07.2012 , 06:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by -Rxu- View Post
Its happened to us all (maybe), you try a new server and want to keep your current preferred handle and after carefully customizing your character you enter your beloved name only to realize it has been taken by someone else. You feel robbed, violated and upset. What can you do? Nothing I guess
YOU feel robbed, violated, and other ********. I come up with a new name, I have no trouble coming up with names that resonate in my imagination and make my character complete. I do have names I like to use but if they are already taken I invent a new one and move on with my gaming.

I am so glad we have unique names, btw, I do not want some scum bucket out there being an ****** under a name I use.
"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Drudenfusz
05.07.2012 , 06:58 PM | #8
I wonder if BioWare had made a Game of Thrones MMO instead of SWTOR, would have seen there then the option that people don't have to worry about their character names (Since that setting has so many characters named Jon or Robert, that it is obvious that this should be a feature that the game allows too).
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Talsalus
05.07.2012 , 07:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
every player doesn't even have a legacy, they don't show in chat at all and you can choose to hide them... so no that is a horrible idea... would make CS a nightmare
well then just do playername@accountname

every player has an account name... problem solved

NaturalSwag
05.07.2012 , 07:02 PM | #10
Side note to this thread, what if you change servers and the name you have/want is already taken over on that server?
CE VIP Pro Order