Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

More personal crew skills.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
More personal crew skills.

Draogon's Avatar


Draogon
05.07.2012 , 06:58 AM | #1
Just random thought but why don't crew skills benefit the user more than simply being able to make stuff for themself. I mean i think it's fair to say most people will have chosen a crew set that benefits their character (atleast their first character anyway). So why for example can my max Artfice Sith Warriror not remove crystals/hilts/enhancments mods for free? - personal use only.

I have a good few mil credits on my account and i actually wouldn't mind changing up my crystal colour now and again, but it's utterly pointless to waste the amount of credits it costs to remove the old one to put another one thats the same besides the colour, so because of that i simple will not do it.

I just think they need a more personal touch, every mmo out there has a tradeskill class, so simply being able to make stuff isn't benefit enough imo. I'd much sooner look at a crew skill and think i want that because it enables me to do.....etc.

Unfortunately the same old comparison comes out to play, look at WoW tradeskills. Jew? Bonus jew slots. Better gems etc. Blacksmith? beltslot ( or was it wrist?) etc etc etc.

Biochem to me has that feel to it due to the reuseable kits, but nothing else.



So is there any "plans" to go down this route at any point?

GnatB's Avatar


GnatB
05.07.2012 , 10:36 AM | #2
No, and they are (thankfully) fixing it with biochem by not creating any future reuseables as the lvl cap/difficulty increases.

Point of crewskills is trading. Forcing everybody to have them to gain that self perk decreases their value for trade.

Draogon's Avatar


Draogon
05.08.2012 , 11:18 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
No, and they are (thankfully) fixing it with biochem by not creating any future reuseables as the lvl cap/difficulty increases.

Point of crewskills is trading. Forcing everybody to have them to gain that self perk decreases their value for trade.
Me having to pay 30k + right now to remove a crystal that I made in the first place, only to replace it with another that I made does not do anything for trading, if anything that means i have less money to spend on he GTN, I thought that was a pretty obvious thing to work out.

GnatB's Avatar


GnatB
05.08.2012 , 12:02 PM | #4
*sigh*

But everybody picking up artifice, (and thus gaining the ability to make all the crystals and stuff) so that they don't have to pay to 30k to swap around their mods would go a pretty good ways towards destroying your ability to sell the things, don't you think? Hard to sell somebody something they can make themselves. Pretty sure that would do a number on trade, no? Thought that was a pretty obvious thing to work out.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
05.08.2012 , 01:29 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
*sigh*

But everybody picking up artifice, (and thus gaining the ability to make all the crystals and stuff) so that they don't have to pay to 30k to swap around their mods would go a pretty good ways towards destroying your ability to sell the things, don't you think? Hard to sell somebody something they can make themselves. Pretty sure that would do a number on trade, no? Thought that was a pretty obvious thing to work out.
errr.... how did you get from "not paying to move the modifications i make" to "everybody having the same crafting skill" ? o.0

Xxantak's Avatar


Xxantak
05.08.2012 , 02:02 PM | #6
You do realize that you don't have to remove the existing crystal in order to put the new one in, right?

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.08.2012 , 02:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xxantak View Post
You do realize that you don't have to remove the existing crystal in order to put the new one in, right?
I've never tried that -- does it eliminate the cost in swapping out crystals/mods/etc?

GnatB's Avatar


GnatB
05.08.2012 , 02:25 PM | #8
Doesn't matter if it's the *same* crafting skill or *a* crafting skill. Ideally the majority of players would be consumers, and not have *any* crafting skill. Pure gathering should be a perfectly viable choice. Or even simply ignoring altogether. I'd *much* prefer competing with 1/60th of the population to sell to 59/60th, (so, evenly proportioned, each of us gets 59 sales) than compete with 1/6th to sell to 5/6th, so we each get 5 sales.

Quote: Originally Posted by JeffKretz View Post
I've never tried that -- does it eliminate the cost in swapping out crystals/mods/etc?
And yes, you lose the crystal you override, but it doesn't cost anything to do. Only reason to extract is if you're going to reuse it in some other piece of equipment. (unlikely, for crystals)

belialle's Avatar


belialle
05.08.2012 , 02:27 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JeffKretz View Post
I've never tried that -- does it eliminate the cost in swapping out crystals/mods/etc?
It destroys the original mod/crystal and replaces it with the new one. If you don't need to use the mod/crystal again, it's a waste of credits to remove it.

Darlgon's Avatar


Darlgon
05.08.2012 , 02:27 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Xxantak View Post
You do realize that you don't have to remove the existing crystal in order to put the new one in, right?
Yeah.. any more.. unless I want the mod, I just install the new one over the top of the old one, destroying the old one.. If I was artifice and could make the new one without a problem or cost.. that would be more like a bonus.