Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

AndasKastor
05.09.2012 , 06:22 PM | #51
The OP has a point and it isn't restricted to RP servers. I never play on an RP server, but I'll generally avoid grouping with characters that have offensive names. Offensive in this case means personally offensive to me - it may not be offensive to you

Another thing that drives me nuts is when people have very long names or use two 'v's in a row. How the heck am I supposed to send you a whisper or invite you if I can't spell your darn name?

I wonder how many people that have offensive names end up complaining because they can't get any groups or aren't taken seriously?

MorrisAO
05.09.2012 , 10:36 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Shush, Paige! How will we now identify the jackwagons if you warn them?
Indeed! The numbnut names some people choose make it easy for me to know who to avoid, same as the kiddie 'bouncers' who can't walk or run but must instead 'sproing sproing' everywhere they go like a kangaroo...

ScarletBlaze
05.09.2012 , 10:53 PM | #53
This is the TOS regarding the naming policy. Any names that is against this policy then that is where it becomes offensive and against the rules.

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.
You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

Scorpienne
05.10.2012 , 04:41 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by MorrisAO View Post
The numbnut names some people choose make it easy for me to know who to avoid, same as the kiddie 'bouncers' who can't walk or run but must instead 'sproing sproing' everywhere they go like a kangaroo...
Heh! A lot of my little tribe of MMO players refer to that behavior as "ninnyjumping" because it's a red flag that you're being a ninny. I've actually asked people to please quit doing that during "flashpoints" in "that other mmo" and also in flashpoints in this mmo. I heal. It's distracting. The response to "your jumping is kinda distracting to me. Would you please stop?" is also very informative about the player.

Paige

Y-Yorle
05.10.2012 , 05:20 AM | #55
Hehe, this reminds me of someone called 'Inass' for her legacy name. Nothing wrong with that as I initially pronouned it like "Ee-nas". The thing that made me report her was her first name "Fist" and me suddenly seeing the connection. :P

I felt so silly for not seeing that sooner. xD
The Guiran Legacy
Providence | Conflict | Proselytism
Catch me @ http://www.twitch.tv/elendus
Heliste | Pyron | K'rdas | Elendus | Judia | Pretho | Nirav

McNutty_
05.10.2012 , 12:46 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
Heh! A lot of my little tribe of MMO players refer to that behavior as "ninnyjumping" because it's a red flag that you're being a ninny. I've actually asked people to please quit doing that during "flashpoints" in "that other mmo" and also in flashpoints in this mmo. I heal. It's distracting. The response to "your jumping is kinda distracting to me. Would you please stop?" is also very informative about the player.

Paige
I was just in a group where someone got kicked from it because they kept bouncing around and "crying" and what not.

Thought it was pretty funny

Scorpienne
05.29.2012 , 12:50 PM | #58
Original post massively edited, updated, and hopefully improved in advance of a potential rename-a-palooza that might maybe possibly be associated with server transfers this summer.

Paige

Scorpienne
06.05.2012 , 06:20 AM | #59
[nothing here]

Scorpienne
07.25.2012 , 05:57 AM | #60
OP is updated and revised.

Paige