Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

PLynkes
05.09.2012 , 01:57 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
I play a lot of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer...

... and I don't have time or patience to shepherd someone...
Groans at pun.

PLynkes
05.09.2012 , 02:06 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellvaan View Post
You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.
Wha...? Pretty thin line between gibberish names and many Star Wars canon names. Who decides if it is gibberish or a bona fide Star Warsie name? Qweszs seems like just the kind of name that would be in Star Wars.

Scorpienne
05.09.2012 , 05:36 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellvaan View Post
Greetings everyone!
Additionally, we just wanted to give more information regarding our Naming Policy which you can find in our Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct:
Thanks for the update on the ToS, Eilvaan - I hadn't even *thought* to check the ToS for naming conventions. I'll edit to include them! :-)

Paige

Scorpienne
05.09.2012 , 05:36 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by PLynkes View Post
Groans at pun.
/bow

;-)

Paige

SpyderBite
05.09.2012 , 07:04 AM | #45
In SWtOR and other MMOs I've played over the years, I've generally gauged a person's maturity based on their choice of names. This is a first impression of course. But, as in RL, the first impression is always the most important in my opinion.

If somebody dressed in a prison jump suit asks me for a ride, I'm probably going to politely decline and walk away. Sure, it may be the latest fashion.. but, I'm not going to waste my time and second guess my instincts. Same goes for the goofy named characters looking for a group. They may have all the maturity of Dick Cavett, but its easier for me to move on and choose one of the dozens of others with less childish names who are also looking for a group or assistance.

To each their own. We make our own decisions and create consequences based on those decisions. Whether that is creating a stupid character name or passing up "clownpants" for a pick up group.
I invented "Snarky".

NightHawke
05.09.2012 , 07:34 AM | #46
Enter Adam Sandler.. "Who are you to judge me!"

Thank you Adam.

Interesting post. Some of it is definitely common sense. Like bluntastic LOL!.

I fall under the unoriginal category. No FireHawkeForever. My character names are like Korso (TONS of tells on this name.) Hawke, Jackson, Jaeson, etc.

The first few weeks of the game, I was threatened by hundreds of tells (I am on a PvP-RP server) about reporting my name. Funny thing is... I am still there as Korso. As I see Korso being a roguish name. I could have gone with Corso.. But I prefer the K. And there is nothing Bioware could do about it, legally. I mean they could change it, but that would just be a ***** move. No leg to stand on, since it is generic.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

Scorpienne
05.09.2012 , 08:41 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by NightHawke View Post
The first few weeks of the game, I was threatened by hundreds of tells (I am on a PvP-RP server) about reporting my name.
That's totally the wrong way for folks to go about it. People can't change their own names so actually talking to them about changing their name is pointless. You might could ask "hey, how'd choose that character name?" if it's something that might be a nickname or call sign, but even that's not worth it for DarthClownpantsTequilaChugger.

Ignore 'em and report 'em is all you can do.

Paige

PolishRifle
05.09.2012 , 08:57 AM | #48
I used the random name generator for my characters and then altered some letters to go with my PolishRifle legacy. Pol-Rife (like Bau-Dur) the zabrak, or SevenP-R for a cyborg. (no numbers allowed which an exception should be made for cyborgs in my opinion.) The random name generator actually comes up with some pretty cool options that fit the Star Wars universe if you can't think of anything good.

PainOfDemise
05.09.2012 , 12:42 PM | #49
The only thing that really annoys me about names is when people make their legacy name the same thing as their characters name. We have a whole lot of Mario Mario's out there.
*Click the Legacy for free stuff!*

osteim
05.09.2012 , 03:22 PM | #50
i am keeping my swg name and all my toons will have the same last name of my swg toon