Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Quest: The Plitics of Dissent (spoiler?)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Quest: The Plitics of Dissent (spoiler?)

diamondchick
12.17.2011 , 08:19 PM | #1
The Politics of Dissent seems like a very odd Jedi quest, at least at its ideals for light/dark side options. I noticed it in beta and was hoping it would change when the game went live. How is aiding a senator that's working with the Sith the light side choice? This seems very wrong as far as being the light side option.

Unless there is a reason that helping the Sith has some way become a good thing to do to, I'm a little lost with the choice. Perhaps I am missing something in the story?
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Stairs are for sissies.

Trobon
12.18.2011 , 05:40 AM | #2
The senator is an elected representative of the Republic. Even if you disagree with his stance on matters by stealing the files from him and trying to go around the system you are breaking the very foundations the Republic is founded on, a free democracy. Taking the files to use against the senator, even if for a "better good" is the same principle that leads to an Empire.

The senator's ideas may be wrong and they ay hurt the Republic if followed, but it is the freedom that the Republic provides that gives the senator that right and by taking the files you are removing his freedoms and breaking Republic law to do it.

diamondchick
12.19.2011 , 09:35 AM | #3
Ah, alright then. I see the point. Still seems a bit odd, but your explanation makes some sense. Thanks!
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Stairs are for sissies.

DecimusGaius
12.23.2011 , 04:58 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Trobon View Post
The senator is an elected representative of the Republic. Even if you disagree with his stance on matters by stealing the files from him and trying to go around the system you are breaking the very foundations the Republic is founded on, a free democracy. Taking the files to use against the senator, even if for a "better good" is the same principle that leads to an Empire.

The senator's ideas may be wrong and they ay hurt the Republic if followed, but it is the freedom that the Republic provides that gives the senator that right and by taking the files you are removing his freedoms and breaking Republic law to do it.
Exposing his true motives and plans to essentially destroy the Republic works against the system? I don't make that connection. I don't know all of the "laws" in the Republic or their interpretation. What the senator is doing though is actively working toward what would undermine the Republic's safety/security or even destroy it since the Sith have NO other intentions other than conquering the Republic. That could be interpreted as "sedition" and in the United States and many western countries, it's illegal. It is NOT protected as "free speech."

Doing something under the guise of free trade or free speech does not mean it is all nice and legal.

SqueakGarraputo
12.27.2011 , 08:07 PM | #5
Agreed -- the overall mission arc here is to prevent the Sith from taking over the Republic.

If a Jedi knew that Senator Palpatine planned to overthrow the Republic, by the "lawful diplomatic democratic" means that he did, would it have been aligned with the light-side to help him have his 'free speech'?

This quest was very poorly setup -- while the individual dialogue options may seem to correlate with light/dark, the overall understanding of the situation is the opposite of what's awarded.
hay guyz. wut r going on in this lvl
If my only choices for being a Consular/Inquisitor are healing/ranged skills, then that is not a Jedi/Sith. That is just a healer/ranged class with a different class name. I don't want to be pigeon-holed into a cookie-cutter role, I want the ability to pick from variety of skills.

ArkhamNative
12.31.2011 , 02:08 PM | #6
I agree: This quest's reward seems backwards.

Spoiler

I ended up choosing Dark Side. It's the only way it made sense to me. If BioWare believes in The Jedi Code and what they stand for (and more importantly, what Mr. George Lucas says they stand for), one must choose the Dark Side option. If Jedi are no better than politicians and their aides, you must agree with the Light Side options. I chose the more optimistic viewpoint.

Personally, I believe it's a mistake on BioWare's part, but ultimately it won't make much difference given the dozens of other Light/Dark quest rewards.

Spoiler
Do you support a Mac client for SWTOR?
BioWare Founders do! (once they get "everything stabilized and happy.")
"[Mac OS users] are an important and large audience. And we want to serve that audience."

Duradel
12.31.2011 , 06:51 PM | #7
I wondered this same thing myself, but it's actually very simple. To be lightsided is not to be "Good," it's mostly just to follow the law and maintain order (if you are Republic, that is)

There is no "greater good" to the Jedi Code. You follow it or you risk falling to the dark side. This seems silly, but think of Revan: He disobeyed the Council and ended up saving the galaxy by fighting the Mandalorians (greater good) but in the end he fell to the dark side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to see patterns in Bioware's logic, compare it to the other Senator quest, the one where you find out the Senator, who is very popular for leading the Coruscant rebuilding effort, took donations from gangs to get elected.

If you expose this Senator (most likely getting her removed from the Senate), who is helping billions and billions of people, you receive light side points. If you expose the other Senator, who is betraying the Republic by trying to cut off ties to the Jedi and allying himself with the Sith, you get heavy dark side points.

One is a much better person than the other, and by helping one but not the other you are saving many lives. Why does one get you light and the other dark? Because one is breaking Republic law and the other is not. Simple as that. Extremely morally narrow minded but it is what it is.

If you truly want to help the Republic and save people you're going to have to suck it up and take some DS points (or alternatively LS points if you are playing a Sith).

JawaJedi
01.01.2012 , 01:22 AM | #8
Oh god, its not a mistake. The game makes it painfully clear-and furthermore when you choose the darkside option it suggest you made things worse by strengthing their resolve. The lightside option revolves on representing the freedom of opinion and respecting a democratic value. The darkside option revolves around a corrupt arrogance. Its as simple as that.
Quote: Originally Posted by Saevio View Post
I haven't understood anything anyone has said in this thread so far. That's common on these forums though.

SqueakGarraputo
01.02.2012 , 08:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JawaJedi View Post
Oh god, its not a mistake. The game makes it painfully clear-and furthermore when you choose the darkside option it suggest you made things worse by strengthing their resolve. The lightside option revolves on representing the freedom of opinion and respecting a democratic value. The darkside option revolves around a corrupt arrogance. Its as simple as that.
Oh ya I forgot that democracy = light side.
hay guyz. wut r going on in this lvl
If my only choices for being a Consular/Inquisitor are healing/ranged skills, then that is not a Jedi/Sith. That is just a healer/ranged class with a different class name. I don't want to be pigeon-holed into a cookie-cutter role, I want the ability to pick from variety of skills.

JawaJedi
01.02.2012 , 10:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SqueakGarraputo View Post
Oh ya I forgot that democracy = light side.
Its a pretty common theme throughout the star wars series that it is.
Quote: Originally Posted by Saevio View Post
I haven't understood anything anyone has said in this thread so far. That's common on these forums though.