Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rare, Artific Mats, and no gathering Nodes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Rare, Artific Mats, and no gathering Nodes?

Dabrixmgp
05.08.2012 , 08:44 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
First post I've ever seen that is telling an MMO they want to farm.
When your doing your dailies why not farm I mean theres so many nodes you basically trip over them.

pahbi
05.08.2012 , 03:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
First post I've ever seen that is telling an MMO they want to farm.
Well, this is the first MMO that has actually managed to come up with something worse than farming.

- P

PendragonPrime
05.08.2012 , 04:07 PM | #23
I think the crafting system is just fine. Once I understood how to keep the companions rolling while doing other things, I haven't had trouble getting mats. You never get all the rare mats you'd like, but that's kind of the point of rare mats.

GnatB
05.08.2012 , 04:13 PM | #24
You mean the missions worse than farming? You have GOT to be kidding.... or a stereotypical chinese gold farmer.

Syoko
05.08.2012 , 04:19 PM | #25
Matching most of the blues to there easily respectable normal gathering nodes should be a good start.

Underworld trading Metals to chance on scavenging Nodes.
Treasure Hunting Gems to Arch Nodes.
Diplomacy Med Supplies to BioAn nodes, though you will be lacking the light dark alignment changes.
Underworld Trading Luxury Fabrics would be a Mob chance.
Research Components could be both scavenging and arch node chance. Scavenging cause it is far more direct to metals and components would be used in Armstech. Arc h odes as well, cause, well more from an out of game context idea, it is a researched item, and messing with gems and crystals requires a more delicate touch sometimes. Real Life high tech material require crystalline substances sometimes, so why not use that reasoning to justify it in game?

As far as the affect on the in game economy, the rarity of materials already is bad enough that too few players can even find what they need, let alone want. This fact in it self discourages current players and will discourage new players if/when they hear of it. So we actually do need more mats in the GTN. If there is more stuff on the GTN then more players will have more confidence in the GTN and it will be less of a reason on why some players get discouraged about the game or even quit.

This isn't the time for SWTOR to be using idea's that scare potential players, or current players off. So some limits have to go.

Also the word Economy in it self, originally means to Economies, as in to make more efficient, more available, and to reduce cost. Sadly though, that is not the definition used by so called 21st century RL economist.

Dabrixmgp
05.08.2012 , 04:38 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Syoko View Post
Matching most of the blues to there easily respectable normal gathering nodes should be a good start.

Diplomacy Med Supplies to BioAn nodes, though you will be lacking the light dark alignment changes.
Research Components could be both scavenging and arch node chance. Scavenging cause it is far more direct to metals and components would be used in Armstech. Arc h odes as well, cause, well more from an out of game context idea, it is a researched item, and messing with gems and crystals requires a more delicate touch sometimes. Real Life high tech material require crystalline substances sometimes, so why not use that reasoning to justify it in game?
This is the way it should be. But dont add them to nodes as then they will be too easily farmable as there are so many per planet you trip over them. Make them mob only drops.

UWT metals off of droids. Silver droids chance to drop blue quality and gold droids purple quality
UWT fabrics. Silver human mobs drop blue cloth and gold humans drop purple
Diplomacy again Blue mats off silvers and Purple mats off Golds

Of course you can still run missions but this gives you a way to gather them as well while you quest.

GnatB
05.08.2012 , 04:43 PM | #27

Research Components could be both scavenging and arch node chance. Scavenging cause it is far more direct to metals and components would be used in Armstech. Arc h odes as well, cause, well more from an out of game context idea, it is a researched item, and messing with gems and crystals requires a more delicate touch sometimes.
So, synthweavers can't make heavy/medium armor because they don't get metals?

Suck it up and send your companions on missions. The games economy needs the money sink.

As far as the affect on the in game economy, the rarity of materials already is bad enough that too few players can even find what they need, let alone want.
You don't NEED blue or purple mats. Nobody does. And it's easy enough to get them youself by sending companions off on crew missions. About the biggest argument you can make with crew missions is it makes the GTN superfluous. Why buy from the GTN when I can get it myself with crew missions? (usually for, bizarrely enough, cheaper... even for gathering mats)

Darlgon
05.08.2012 , 04:52 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Magaman View Post
I absolutely hate that there is no rare mats found when gathering. And I think the best way to not flood the market with rare mats is to limit the rare nodes to Heroic/Flashpoint areas. Doing so would also increase the chances of finding people to help with Heroic areas as well.
This would be the ideal.. you either have to be in a group or over-leveled to go into the area.

And, for the person who said how to sort if its one that an artificer or synthweaver wants.. Who cares? Just making more purple mats available is the point. If you cant use that blue/red/green/yellow/purple crystal, stimulate the economy by putting it on the GTN.

Syoko
05.09.2012 , 11:54 AM | #29
A blue 10% or even a lower 5% chance to spawn at a node shouldn't do much harm.
Then a purple node chance that is 1% or even as low as 0.1% should further reduce any flooding problems.

Having a chance shouldn't mean 100% chance for rare and purples, I never said often or always.

rymah
05.09.2012 , 12:14 PM | #30
Prior to launch, the gathering skills were associated differently to most of the crafting professions and you could gather rare tradeskill materials from nodes, but it was so random that they changed it to mission based acquisition. This ensured a more consistent method of gathering, albeit a more inconvenient way at times.
Minister of Propaganda, Deadly Shenanigans
Drooga's Pleasure Barge / Lord Praven / Squadron 238
The Shadowedsoul Legacy
~ immortalis imperator veneremur ~