Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rare, Artific Mats, and no gathering Nodes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Rare, Artific Mats, and no gathering Nodes?

Magaman
05.07.2012 , 11:51 AM | #11
I absolutely hate that there is no rare mats found when gathering. And I think the best way to not flood the market with rare mats is to limit the rare nodes to Heroic/Flashpoint areas. Doing so would also increase the chances of finding people to help with Heroic areas as well.

BuckShotSchell
05.07.2012 , 12:05 PM | #12
Agree with OP. If you dont have the right skill you are out of luck. You cant get mats from drops or anything and for some things they never show up on the GTN. Maybe they could throw some cross mission drops. Like Corso having the under world trading buff could some times find under world mats from slicing or scavenging. No one wants to lvl to 400 in something just to have to dump it and start over so you can get one material you need.
"In the force we trust. All others must pay cash!"
Cpt. BuckshotSchell, 'Lv 50 Slinger, Bucaneer, Lady's Man.
"To serve the light, sometimes we must walk in the dark"
Haruhi, Dark Sentinel, Knight of Dubrillion

IcarusIQ
05.07.2012 , 12:15 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiating View Post
..You do realize you are accusing these people(like the op) of being lazy or wanting everything immediately....when what she is asking for is the chance to actually do *MORE* work to get the item in question.
It makes absolutely no sense to accuse someone of being entitled when what they want is another chance to gain the item by doing actual work to get it.

What your saying is you are quite happy with a 25% lottery chance so that *you* can immediately get the item. No work on your end, you do not even have to be logged in at the time, setup.
That is fine, and what the op suggests does not change your lottery setup at all.
All it does is add real world(forgive me, Game World) nodes to the mix. These can have the same % even. A rare spawn form the normal spawns.

I like the idea myself. It gets to the point very quickly where you do not even harvest a resource node if you see it as it is pointless. You wont get anything worthwhile, and very often the nodes are still bugged.
The crafting/resource system could use a little tweak like this to help smooth things out.
How you got my statement being directed at the OP is beyond me. I said, In my experience most people that complain about the gathering/crafting set up are the same people that haven't gotten all companions or haven't bothered to max affection with all companions.

And as you said, and I highlighted, how can you make it easier?! No work involved, don't even have to be logged in. Adding another source for the same material without changing the current source means more rare materials. More rare materials never helps economy. Server economies are already garbage, they don't need help to be even worse.

Adding another source would also make those crew skill less useful. As it stands now, you can either A) take all crew skills required for a single craft or B) take something else and have to trade for the mats you need for your craft.
First one makes you self sufficient, second should help server economies.

Nothing needs to be changed.
Keller's Void - Dawnstar Legacy
Cash - Gunslinger - Cyco - Mercenary - Hesher - Scoundrel
Murphy - Vanguard - Seely - Guardian - Talzien - Shadow
Tasha - Sorcerer - Xen - Sentinel

uniz
05.07.2012 , 03:17 PM | #14
personally i usually dont have a problem getting blue mats as the system is designed.

HOWEVER, i can see to have a slight chance in harvesting normal nodes to find a blue or purple. also just leave in thier missions as is.

BUT i can forsee some obstacles in implimenting this. one is how will ut rares be done as you have two branches of rares: metals and cloth? also how will you do acheology which has synthweaving and artificing with several rares involved. second most planets dont have enough nodes and compound this with more people now farming them you will be back at missions real soon again solving nothing.

taking rare mats out of the game isnt a solution unless you are a fan or like playing simplified down 12 year old mentality mmos which was the major reason of success for wow. there are alot of other mmos out there if this is what you enjoy playing. please dont make this one into another rift.

having played a few other mmo's inwhich one in particual had only named mobs drop rare mats ( not 100% either ) with also nodes with about a 5% drop rate which varied tier by tier, you would GREATLY appreciate what bioware has done here with the missions.

getting rares from only flashpoints or other group content wont work when you cant get a group in the first place. now you are back to doing missions again.

naw leave it as it is. perhaps when bioware catches up with the bugs and other problems they can tweek this but right now there isnt a fast nor easy solution to appease a few people that think it needs a change.

pahbi
05.07.2012 , 04:09 PM | #15
The companion gathering rare materials would be a workable solution if the servers had a population that could support the costs crafters have to pay in order send out 5 companions at a time.

On dead servers (like mine) where no one buys stuff from the GTN, and where you literally have to do dailies to afford to be able to send out companions, on top of the just normal gathering that is required, crew skills just become more hassle than they are worth bothering with.

I might as well just go biochem and be rid of the hassle.

ADD TO THIS

To get the metals I need from underworld trading, I'm LUCKY to have 2 metal missions pop up when I do have the money to send out companions.

So to work around this issue I have to zone or log out/log in to get new missions constantly, just to be able to gather the metals I need.

I mean... REALLY?!?! This is REALLY the system?

ADD TO THAT

The RE system is still borked. I pretty much have to burn a weeks worth of gathered mats just to get a single useful schematic. And once thats done, its weeks before I even begin to turn a profit selling those items on the GTN.

The crew skill system basically collapses in on itself and becomes borked beyond frustration on low population servers and something needs to be done to address that.

- P

Pardoz
05.07.2012 , 04:38 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by RyokoMia View Post
No drop chance off mobs, no spawn chance on resource nodes.
Actually there is a drop chance from mobs - I've seen prototype and artifact gems and metals drop (I'd assume cloth can, too, but haven't actually seen it happen). The chances of a drop are vanishingly small, though - I've gotten more mission discoveries from mob drops than I have materials.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a launcher downloading Main Assets 6 forever.

GnatB
05.07.2012 , 06:05 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Actually there is a drop chance from mobs - I've seen prototype and artifact gems and metals drop (I'd assume cloth can, too, but haven't actually seen it happen). The chances of a drop are vanishingly small, though - I've gotten more mission discoveries from mob drops than I have materials.
I assume that's from REing drops? I've never *ever* gotten any sort of mat as a drop from mobs otherwise, and playing since December.

Pardoz
05.07.2012 , 07:19 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
I assume that's from REing drops? I've never *ever* gotten any sort of mat as a drop from mobs otherwise, and playing since December.
Nope, direct drops of gemstones and metal (don't think I've ever gotten prototype/artifact level materials from REing a drop). It's vanishingly rare, though. As in "my Legacy is up to level 34 or so, and I've seen maybe four materials drops across my eight alts" rare, the most recent one a couple of weeks ago.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a launcher downloading Main Assets 6 forever.

Dabrixmgp
05.07.2012 , 08:09 PM | #19
My server has no grade 1-4 UWT mats priced under 1k each and same goes for TH gems, that is if theres any for sale at all. My old server if you search by treasure hunting mats in only gives you TWO pages and its only Corusca gems nothing else not even blue quality.

The thing I dont understand is if crafted items are supposedly so horrible and inferior then why is there a shortage of mats?

Banicks
05.08.2012 , 02:20 AM | #20
First post I've ever seen that is telling an MMO they want to farm.
The tenets of the Sith are more than just words to be memorised. Learn them, understand them. They will lead you to the true power of the Force; the power of the dark side.