Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow's lacking Raid usefulness

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Shadow's lacking Raid usefulness

05.06.2012 , 04:44 AM | #1
I'm an Infiltration specced Shadow, #2 in DPS for my guild according to parses. I just got swapped out of my regular raiding team because the guild realised I didn't bring anything to a raid beyond DPS.

I can understand why they did it -- the guild's been struggling with hard mode EC and we need every buff and debuff we can. But my fellow DPSers bring more than I do:
  • Sentinels - Inspiration (+dmg/healing raid buff), Passive raid heals, Armour debuff on the boss
  • Gunslinger - Scrambling field (raid damage shield)
  • Commando/Sage - Off heals, dispels, combat rez, combat CC

Neither of my DPS trees can compete. I previously had use as a very temporary tank in other raids (eg. repositioning Soa under a pyramid if the tank gets mind trapped). Force valour can be applied by other people in the raid, and will progressively become less useful as more people get level 50 consulars in their legacies. Mind Maze has no use in combat. My control abilities (stun, low slash, slow etc) are fairly well mirrored across the dps classes.

What can I do to compete? I'm leveling up a gunslinger for now.

05.06.2012 , 05:21 AM | #2
How quickly you progress through endgame pve content in this game is directly related to how many ranged (or melee) damage dealers you bring to the operations group.

Nearly every boss fight in all three of the current operations is heavily anti-melee. It doesnt matter if your melee DPS can pull off more damage over the duration of an encounter than your ranged guys can, because the ranged damage dealers arent dying left and right, or having to avoid close range boss mechanics.

The problem here isnt with the classes, it's with the way bioware keeps designing endgame boss encounters.
The Lynx Legacy - - - - The Harbinger
- - - - - - - -
- - Lynx - -Risad - Pakhet - Bastet - M'asad -

05.06.2012 , 10:44 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
The problem here isnt with the classes, it's with the way bioware keeps designing endgame boss encounters.
Bioware shows an amazing ability to ignore the things learned from trial and error in other MMOs. It's like none of the SWTOR devs ever did any endgame stuff in an MMO before.

05.07.2012 , 08:18 AM | #4
I think the trick to raiding with either a Shadow or an Assasin is to spec tank, but tell your raid you are melee dps - that way you pretty much do the same amount of damage but you can actually have some chance of surviving. One of the reasons your raid guild probably feels more comfy having a commandos or whatnot doing ranged dps is becuase of (1) they can potential heal themselves and (2) they can potentially stay out of range of massive end game boss aoes. This doesn't mean that you can't play a shadow in a raid - it means that you will require a certain kind of support from your healers. So, you can tell your raid guild that if they don't want to figure out how to support your totally AWESOME class in a raid, they miss the point of MMO raiding.

I play a sorc healer and my guild is difficult to play with becuase they don't respect my classes abilites and needs for certain kinds of support. I would lay blame with the guild you are in, rather than your class or even BW (although I've found that lots of the boss fights thoughout the game are very mobile fights, and since my best heals are stationary ones, I've had a lot of close fights). Try researching a guild that has more respect for your class abilites - you will feel so much better once you actually get healed and can throw in some of that awesome backstabbing dps.