Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thanaton is horrible as a big villain

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Thanaton is horrible as a big villain

Slowpokeking
05.05.2012 , 06:57 PM | #1
Spoiler

Sivenom
05.05.2012 , 07:05 PM | #2
It's relative. He makes a decently good badguy in the sense that we have every right to hate him. He has a clearly defined reason to kill you(he stated VERY clearly that he wanted to destroy Zash's powerbase. Guess what you are.), he is pretentious, and he can *********** fly. Those are three good reasons not to like him, right there. To pile on top of that,
Spoiler

That's pretty douchey to me. Perfect reason to hate the guy.

As long as a character can trick you into connecting to it, be it by really just hating the annoying ****er or legitimately loving to hate the guy, then the character is successful. Thanaton isn't a Vader, but you can't say he doesn't at the least get under your skin.
All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed. -- Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

Slowpokeking
05.05.2012 , 07:13 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sivenom View Post
It's relative. He makes a decently good badguy in the sense that we have every right to hate him. He has a clearly defined reason to kill you(he stated VERY clearly that he wanted to destroy Zash's powerbase. Guess what you are.), he is pretentious, and he can *********** fly. Those are three good reasons not to like him, right there. To pile on top of that,
Spoiler

That's pretty douchey to me. Perfect reason to hate the guy.

As long as a character can trick you into connecting to it, be it by really just hating the annoying ****er or legitimately loving to hate the guy, then the character is successful. Thanaton isn't a Vader, but you can't say he doesn't at the least get under your skin.
Well he was the one who ruined the old tradition, the Kaggath, before so many people's eyes.

He will serve well as a minor villain, like the boss of a planet's quest line, but not 2 Acts.

Amien
05.05.2012 , 08:37 PM | #4
I actually enjoyed him tattling (loved to hate him!) He became what he loathed in the end, the fact the way he finally died really showed that the Dark Council supported your claim over his,'sense he clearly lost in the Kaggath and then further dis honored himself.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

Clonedzero
05.05.2012 , 08:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

Sivenom
05.06.2012 , 09:42 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Well he was the one who ruined the old tradition, the Kaggath, before so many people's eyes.

He will serve well as a minor villain, like the boss of a planet's quest line, but not 2 Acts.
The whole fact that is was THANATON who was defiling the tradition he was toting, and the fact that the new kid has more honor than him makes him that major villain. And as the above poster said about LS SI.... I think you got a point. But also playing a totally bad-*** "I don't need this ****" darkside SI makes the lines fit together as well. I do think canon the SI is LS but I played it both ways, and the hardass DS does make a certain sense. You are trying to beat the odds, because hey, I can do this **** can't I? and so who the hell do these kiddies think they are, trying to keep you down? Screw em. Your power base IS made up of the little people, like you are, and so it makes sense they flock to something more tangible than a supercommander flying old guy.
All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed. -- Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

MCerberus
05.06.2012 , 02:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Clonedzero View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler
Self-referential metasig #524789

lokdron
05.06.2012 , 02:48 PM | #8
I don't know were people are getting the idea that there is 1 right way to play the story being light, dark or neutral each alignment is valid, one alignment is not more valid than the other. To me the SI makes more sense as DS see what I did there? Its an opinion.

Lets get rid of this notion that a class fits as this so called alignment.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

MCerberus
05.06.2012 , 02:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by lokdron View Post
I don't know were people are getting the idea that there is 1 right way to play the story being light, dark or neutral each alignment is valid, one alignment is not more valid than the other. To me the SI makes more sense as DS see what I did there? Its an opinion.

Lets get rid of this notion that a class fits as this so called alignment.
The differing view points on how each person views their character and their reactions brings different themes to be more prominent. Many argue that going straight HATE RAGE HATE HATE Inquisitor buries a lot of good stuff under the barrier of generic seething rage.
Self-referential metasig #524789

Amien
05.08.2012 , 07:59 AM | #10
I went full DS and still thoroughly enjoyed the story. It made sense why Thanaton hated me. I was part of Zash's power base, so I had to be cleansed.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297