Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stormcaller Bug or Mechanic?

Axlah
05.05.2012 , 06:20 PM | #1
My guild was on our first run through EC HM this evening and ran into problems with the Stormcaller/Firebrand encounter.

We set up as most people do with 2 DPS on Stormcaller to soak the DD debuffs. When DD is casting the tank moves to stand behind them and then moves back to his normal tanking position when they have soaked the debuff. The thing was a few seconds later the turret would switch instantly to the 2 DPS fire electrical discharge killing both and then instantly switch back to the tank. The first time we put it down to a extremely badly timed aggro pull by the DPS but it happened repeatedly over a number of tries. Even when the DPS were only using rage builders to keep aggro as low as possible.

So my question is. Is this a bug or is there a part of the fight mechanics we were missing?

Dragonbgone
05.05.2012 , 08:31 PM | #2
The threat here is very, very fragile because your tanks are swapping. Make sure your dps are dropping their threat at the right times (after big damage drops). I know you've said their doing that but making sure won't hurt.

Also, are you sure that your tank's doing the right rotation for threat?

Just simple questions to ask. Trying to help
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

Braket
05.05.2012 , 09:04 PM | #3
There is something going on that makes threat on stormcaller unusual. We did this fight without tank swaps and could not keep threat on stormcaller for the first bit of the fight even though we have not had this issue on any other encounter.

We get around it now by having a melee dps with taunt taunt trade a bit into the fight to help boost up threat. Initially we had all dps completely abstain from hitting him until the first double destruction.

Just some workarounds, but yes there is something weird going on with stormcallers threat, seems like a bug, but whether it's intended or not is unconfirmed.
Tidus
<Ambient>
Nadd's Sarcophagus
ambient.enjin.com

pure_laced
05.05.2012 , 09:53 PM | #4
Your melee dps is standing too close. 110% threat to pull off tank in melee range. It is a common mistake with the melee on this fight to stand so close, when they can stand at max melee range for his hitbox and go back to the 130% threshhold.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter

Wallsie
05.05.2012 , 10:00 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonbgone View Post
The threat here is very, very fragile because your tanks are swapping. Make sure your dps are dropping their threat at the right times (after big damage drops). I know you've said their doing that but making sure won't hurt.

Also, are you sure that your tank's doing the right rotation for threat?

Just simple questions to ask. Trying to help
It's not about the tank swap - due to the way taunt works (it vaults the tank to the top of the threat list plus 30%) the swap is the least of the problems with this fight. The real issue is what was just stated above - the dps are more than likely standing in melee range instead of max distancing themselves from the boss which means it takes a lot less to pull.

Dragonbgone
05.05.2012 , 10:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by pure_laced View Post
Your melee dps is standing too close. 110% threat to pull off tank in melee range. It is a common mistake with the melee on this fight to stand so close, when they can stand at max melee range for his hitbox and go back to the 130% threshhold.
Wait, the distance you're standing relative to the target effects threat? Could you explain this please? I didn't know of this mechanic.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

TankStig
05.05.2012 , 10:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Axlah View Post
My guild was on our first run through EC HM this evening and ran into problems with the Stormcaller/Firebrand encounter.

We set up as most people do with 2 DPS on Stormcaller to soak the DD debuffs. When DD is casting the tank moves to stand behind them and then moves back to his normal tanking position when they have soaked the debuff. The thing was a few seconds later the turret would switch instantly to the 2 DPS fire electrical discharge killing both and then instantly switch back to the tank. The first time we put it down to a extremely badly timed aggro pull by the DPS but it happened repeatedly over a number of tries. Even when the DPS were only using rage builders to keep aggro as low as possible.

So my question is. Is this a bug or is there a part of the fight mechanics we were missing?
We had this happen to us what we found is that we need to slow our damage one of the tanks is hiting 80% when stormcaller is casting DD, as a result the probe kitting phase is starting while DD is being cast hence the reason why the probe is landing on the tank tanking stormcrawler. When we slowed our DPS at 85% it seemed to fix the problem.
Dissent 50 Arsenal
Sith Wyrm <Army of Darthness>
4/4 EC HM

Lupious
05.05.2012 , 11:07 PM | #8
We did HM Tuesday and didn't have this problem. I am a tank and while I did get threat pulled once at the beginning of the fight, I didn't have it pulled again the rest of the way (nor did the 2nd tank). I haven't heard of it happening with others before either, so my best guess is that your tanks aren't doing a good job with aggro generation. Also, remember that they can aoe taunt inbetween the single target taunts if needed.

TaelonZ
05.05.2012 , 11:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by pure_laced View Post
Personally I don't remember Bioware ever coming out and saying how their threat system worked so. . . I'm gonna have to say your basing that on you World of Warcraft experience.

Our groups did notice that Stormcaller does SEEM to have an agro drop shortly after DD that can usually be mitigated by a tank taunt, AOE usually since the range is right not to pick up Firebrand or Basic if your doing Storm w/o Swap.

Squishei
05.06.2012 , 02:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TaelonZ View Post
Personally I don't remember Bioware ever coming out and saying how their threat system worked so. . . I'm gonna have to say your basing that on you World of Warcraft experience.

Our groups did notice that Stormcaller does SEEM to have an agro drop shortly after DD that can usually be mitigated by a tank taunt, AOE usually since the range is right not to pick up Firebrand or Basic if your doing Storm w/o Swap.
Bioware never came out and said it but the theory crafters on sithwarrior.com did the research and found it is very similar .