Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can I craft Imperial Armor as Republic Player?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Can I craft Imperial Armor as Republic Player?

mmoench
05.05.2012 , 04:29 PM | #1
My main character is a bounty hunter and I've an alt who is a trooper. If I choose armormech as crafting skill for my trooper will I be able to craft orange armor my bounty hunter can use? I'm asking because all the crafted orange armor I've seen seems to have class restrictions.

bright_ephemera
05.05.2012 , 04:40 PM | #2
A few ins and outs.

1. Yes, you can craft armor intended for either side.

2. There does exist some orange gear that is not class-locked. This is the stuff that you can use on characters of either faction or even equip on your companions. (The lowest level Armormech sample I can find is the Tempered Laminoid set, here shown with its Imperial look - see point #4!)

3. Once you have unlocked your Legacy, you can even send all this armor to yourself cross-faction.

BUT...

4. The same piece of armor will look different on Republic and Imperial sides. If your Trooper previews a piece of gear, the icon and preview look he sees is different from the icon and preview look your Bounty Hunter would see. This even applies to class-only items! A Trooper previewing Bounty Hunter only gear will see something completely different from what a Bounty Hunter actually wearing that gear will look like.

Weird, I know.

So it's obnoxious and difficult to see what your Armormech stuff will look like on your opposite-faction character, but there is nothing stopping you from crafting both Republic and Imperial armor with the same character. I rely heavily on screenshots from fan database sites before selecting stuff to craft for my opposite-faction toons.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

mmoench
05.05.2012 , 05:21 PM | #3
Thank you for the tip, this will be very useful.