Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arenas and why they are a bad idea for swtor.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Arenas and why they are a bad idea for swtor.

tehrealdealz
05.04.2012 , 08:43 PM | #1
Having played WoW for 5+ years now, I can say that BW is right in refusing to implement any kind of arena into this game. Arenas were the worst thing to happen to WoW. If I recall correctly they are what lead to classes getting buffed/nerfed over and over again just for the sake of balance and in the end of I recall one the devs said that "Arenas were the worst idea they ever implemented in WoW". Also but most importantly arenas promote the whole "look at my rating, i'm better than you" mentality which just isnt needed in a new MMO like swtor.

In fact, and I know I can speak for I would say 75% of the player base when I say this, the whole reason I left WoW was because of the whole elitism that goes with the game nowadays. I wanted to escape that. Basically if your rating sucks, your considered a "baddie" and not worthy etc etc. Sorry but no i hope BW never implements arenas in this game as we dont need those kind of players here in swtor. If you want arena, then what you need to do is go back to WoW. Ranked WZs are an awesome idea when they do get implemented and imho and I know I can speak for alot of players when I say this, are going to be awesome. I know im looking forward to it.

sirbobert
05.04.2012 , 09:02 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Ranked WZs are an awesome idea when they do get implemented and imho and I know I can speak for alot of players when I say this, are going to be awesome. I know im looking forward to it.
Where does this blind faith in BW come from? What, over the past four months leads you to believe that anything they implement will be "awesome" at launch?

khouj
05.04.2012 , 09:02 PM | #3
Why do you think ranked warzones won't lead to elitism and calling everyone with a poor rating a baddie?

DirtyDiggler
05.04.2012 , 09:06 PM | #4
baddies not wanting people to know there bad

Smashbrother
05.04.2012 , 09:14 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Having played WoW for 5+ years now, I can say that BW is right in refusing to implement any kind of arena into this game. Arenas were the worst thing to happen to WoW. If I recall correctly they are what lead to classes getting buffed/nerfed over and over again just for the sake of balance and in the end of I recall one the devs said that "Arenas were the worst idea they ever implemented in WoW". Also but most importantly arenas promote the whole "look at my rating, i'm better than you" mentality which just isnt needed in a new MMO like swtor.

In fact, and I know I can speak for I would say 75% of the player base when I say this, the whole reason I left WoW was because of the whole elitism that goes with the game nowadays. I wanted to escape that. Basically if your rating sucks, your considered a "baddie" and not worthy etc etc. Sorry but no i hope BW never implements arenas in this game as we dont need those kind of players here in swtor. If you want arena, then what you need to do is go back to WoW. Ranked WZs are an awesome idea when they do get implemented and imho and I know I can speak for alot of players when I say this, are going to be awesome. I know im looking forward to it.
Arenas ruined WoW? Last time I checked, they still had millions and millions of subs. TOR is going to have ranked WZs where a player's rating will be tracked. It'll be the same thing here as in WoW.

There is elitism in EVERYTHING that is competitive, real life or fake. It's what drives people to compete and be better. People just want to be better than other people. It's a fact of life. They want to be elite. If you can't handle it, either don't pvp or go play a single player game.

Methosnc
05.04.2012 , 10:25 PM | #6
I kind of liked arenas in WoW, although the rating system was terrible... For SWTOR not sure if arenas would work well or not only thing I know for sure is PVP needs a lot more then just warzones. Even if they keep adding new warzones here and there, they get old really fast. For those who focus on PVP, warzones quickly become a grind for gear and more of a chore than anything,

The main reason for this is the only option for PVPers is warzone grinding right now and we are stuck with 4 warzones which are all the same 8v8 (making them feel kind of the same fights a lot of the time with different scenery...). A revamped Ilum would help in this a bit but if we have to wait months just for Ilum to be fixed I imagine BW will not be breaking the mold and giving us anything new anytime soon...

So whether arenas would be a good idea for SWTOR or not, if the choice is between arenas or just more uninspired warzones I would definitely choose arenas... as it is I want to love this game but the pace at which they add PVP content is going to make it pretty hard in the long run.

xChroniCx
05.04.2012 , 10:28 PM | #7
Making objective based pvp your only option is a bad idea... People want deathmatches! 4v4 would be fine.
Mateo Matias

Hutts Don't Have Feet

Zocat
05.04.2012 , 10:29 PM | #8
I dislike arenas, because they reduce the strategy to a survive / heal / dmg fest with some nice positioning tactics. I also fear for the future of tanky-tanks and overall balance changes because of arenas.
Objectives to fight over offer an interesting twist and adds another layer of strategy.

To add: an equal path for progression would be okay. But arenas in WoW killed the BG fun for me since everyone interested in competitive PvP migrated to them (since at that time there was no ranked BG system).

The elitism will happen as soon as there is any ranked system. So as soon as ranked warzones are implemented.

Lt_Latency
05.04.2012 , 10:39 PM | #9
Right because Hutball doesn't favor any classes, Am i right????

Classes will ALWAYS need to be balanced and there will also be Fotm no matter what. So you shouldn't not make content because it might happen

Enkaizu
05.04.2012 , 10:59 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by xChroniCx View Post
Making objective based pvp your only option is a bad idea... People want deathmatches! 4v4 would be fine.
If you balance the classes. I'd hate to see 4 maras on one team at the current state.