Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ship Droid Crit Chance Broken?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Ship Droid Crit Chance Broken?

Heriana
05.05.2012 , 04:14 AM | #11
If you care, your math is completely wrong. The chance that you crit 1 out of 21, given that you have a 20% chance to crit is:

.2 * .8^20 * 21 = .04842 = ~5%

It's not that astronomical.

ultimateballoon
05.05.2012 , 04:28 AM | #12
With a crit chance of 20% I assume you were expecting, out of the 21 you crafted, to get 4 or 5 augmented earpieces, which is a perfectly reasonable assumption...

But keep in mind that there is a critical chance of 20% per item you craft. This doesn't mean that if you craft 5, you're guaranteed the 5th will crit, what it means is that every item you craft has a 1 in 5 chance of critting. Crafting 20 and only critting one is not unlikely for a 1 in 5 chance.

Think of it as flipping a coin. There is a 50% chance of it landing on heads, and an equal chance of it landing on tails. In theory we would assume that if you flipped it 20 times, 10 of those will be heads, and 10 tails. However in practice you may flip 19 heads, and only one tails. Just because the odds are in your favour, does not make it a sure thing.

Your sample size is too small to come to an accurate conclusion about the critical chance. You'll need to craft at least 1000 or more to get some reasonable statistics.

Calprimus
05.05.2012 , 06:26 AM | #13
Where do you buy those modules?

Thx in advance

NermalDetonator
05.05.2012 , 10:40 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Rischardo View Post
well there's one. Mind telling us which companions you usually use and their affection level?
Ashara and Talos. Max affection, so it should be, what 20%? 0 for 20 on Ablative Laquerous Headgear. I've loaded them up again, and have no doubt it will be 0 for 30 when I come back in a couple hours. The chance of that happening if the coding is right is incredibly small. Hence me doubting the devs are correct, at least on all items.

It wouldnt surprise me if some things are off and they just don't know. I'm just not seeing this 20-25% represented on the market either in augmented orange gear.

konstan
05.06.2012 , 04:15 AM | #15
I am convinced that crit crafting is broken for ceratin ckmbinations of profession+item level being crafted.
I filed a bug report. They tried to tell me it was working as designed. I gave them examples; they finally agreed to forward on to the developers.
"Good relations with the wookies I have"

Cran
05.06.2012 , 05:30 AM | #16
My ship droid crits reasonably often, but I had some crits of him even before I got the sensor.

The game does not look at your complete crafting history when calculating crit. It just looks at this one process you've got currently going, and you get a crit or not based on the usual crit chance you have, based on base crit chance, possible bonus and affection.
It doesn't matter if you had 100 tries before, lucky or unucky, for your crit chance.

It is like having a great bowl with multicoloured orbs. You are allowed infinite tries to get the single black orb in it - the catch is, you have to put each orb back after you took it out. Your chance to get the black orb will be the same each time you try, because the other orbs are put back and not left out, which would increase your chance over time (1:1000, 1:999.....)

Rischardo
05.06.2012 , 11:16 AM | #17
I know I know I know it's possible that it could happen and that there's no crafting history etc. etc. I know that I am probably a victim of unlucky RNG. I made the post to see if there was high number of other players who were experiencing similar problems and while our experience may not be hard evidence that there is a problem, it could suggest that it is a matter worth investigating.

For instance, what if there was a bug that instead of granting +5% crit chance, it actually was a -5% crit chance when you equipped the bonus item? I don't know much about coding, but I suspect that an accidental "minus" in the code could do this and be accidentally overlooked. Unless Bioware monitors all of our crafting (and I actually like to think they don't), they wouldn't know unless a large number of players voiced the discrepancy between the crit chance they should be getting and the crit chance they are actually getting. For these types of problems, I look at it like this:

Step 1: Notice that I'm not getting as many crits as I should and identifying the chance of that happening

Step 2: Figure out if there are other players having similar issues and if so, get a general feeling for how many

Step 3: If there is a large portion of the population with similar experiences, there may be a problem. The issue is particularly worth investigating if there is a higher percentage of players experiencing these issues than what the math predicts. (IE: only 3% of players should statistically be this "unlucky", but 10% are having these problems)

Step 4: Even if more players are statiscally unlucky than should be, there still may be no problem at all. However, at this point, Bioware should confirm that the code is correct by both reviewing it and testing it themselves.

This thread is part of "step 2". I made this thread because the droid sensor that gives the +crit bonus is a new item that was presumably coded for 1.2. Also, the droid couldn't gain affection prior to 1.2. It is possible (but not definitely the case) that the code for the bonus crit chance/code converting droid affection to crit chance is incorrect if there are large number of players who have similar experiences to me. That is all I am trying to accomplish with this thread.

Saeria
05.06.2012 , 11:54 AM | #18
I thought about this and you may have a valid point. Specifically, we need to test if the droid is getting the +5% crit rate.

There is a way to test it though. Is to just mass craft level 1 items. And I don't mean a handful, I mean at least a 100-200 and look to see how close we get to our theoretical 20%-25%. Would love for someone with 0-affection droid to test it and also someone with a 10,000 affection droid.

Rischardo
05.06.2012 , 07:04 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Saeria View Post
I thought about this and you may have a valid point. Specifically, we need to test if the droid is getting the +5% crit rate.

There is a way to test it though. Is to just mass craft level 1 items. And I don't mean a handful, I mean at least a 100-200 and look to see how close we get to our theoretical 20%-25%. Would love for someone with 0-affection droid to test it and also someone with a 10,000 affection droid.
Sure, I'll be happy to test that if you'll farm me the mats .

All kidding aside though, any tests that are done need to be identical. IF there are any coding errors, it is likely unique to that specific sensor item or that specific companion. So just because Blizz's armstech crit chance is working correctly doesn't necessarily mean that my ship droid's cybertech crit chance is working. Since I haven't done a large scale testing with my droid, I guess I can't definitively say that it's broken. I'll try to test this when I get more time.

feday
05.07.2012 , 02:07 AM | #20
I can also confirm this for armstech (somewhat). Maxed affection on my droid with an armstech sensor thing. Crafted 15 custom built sniper rifles, 0 crits... Very unlikely indeed.

Didn't submit a bug since I have no faith in the system. This should be trivial for bioware to test, all they need to do is generate a char with said skills and a boatload of mats, and try this out in-game. Then either tell us it's working on the forum or add this to the list of known issues.

/sigh