Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ship Droid Crit Chance Broken?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Ship Droid Crit Chance Broken?

Rischardo's Avatar


Rischardo
05.04.2012 , 04:23 PM | #1
I know there will be some responses that simply say "you were unlucky" and that my personal experience is merely anecdotal evidence, but I am personally frustrated with my ship droid right now. After spending days of gathering gifts and getting the droid's affection to 10k and buying him the +5 cybertech crit and +5 scavenging efficiency module, I set him to work.

Out of 21 earpieces, one crit. One. As I understand it, my droid should have a 20% chance to crit an augment slot on a level 49/50 earpiece. My understanding is based on this recent statement from Bioware:

Patrick Malott (Systems Designer): The baseline crit chance for crafting is dependent on the difficulty of the crafting action relative to your current crafting skill level. The difficulty is color coded in the crafting GUI.

Orange Difficulty: 10%
Companion Affection scales Crew Skill chance up to +5% at maximum affection.
A Companion Trait critical chance bonus of +1 or +5 is a percentage. Example: The Imperial Agent companion character Kaliyo grants a +2 bonus to Underworld Trading Critical. This is +2% bonus.

Using Kaliyo at maximum affection as an example, if she ran a green difficulty Underworld Trading mission for you, she would have a 22% chance to score a mission critical success.


So the way I see it for my droid, 10% (base) + 5% (max affection) + 5% (cybertech bonus) = 20%

I'm not a super mathematician, but I tried to calculate the chances of having 21 ear pieces, but only have one crit. What I did was took my chance NOT to crit (80%) and multiplied it against itself 20 times. (.8 x .8 x .8 x .8 etc.). The result was 1.15%. 1.15% chance to make 20 earpieces w/o a single crit. Please correct me if my math is wrong.

So yes, can it happen? Yeah. But a 1.15% chance is really low. Really low. Am I just unlucky? Maybe. But there's also a real possibility that it's not working as intended. If my math is right and other people are experiencing similar "failures", Bioware may need to see if the crit chances are applying/stacking correctly.

Saeria's Avatar


Saeria
05.04.2012 , 04:37 PM | #2
You're slightly looking at it wrong. The chance to have bad luck is one thing, but you should look at what is your chance out of how many people? Then ask yourselves how many people are playing SWTOR.

In other words, even if you had a 1.15% chance as you calculated, out of the at least 1 million people who play SWTOR, you might just be the person.

Rischardo's Avatar


Rischardo
05.04.2012 , 04:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Saeria View Post
You're slightly looking at it wrong. The chance to have bad luck is one thing, but you should look at what is your chance out of how many people? Then ask yourselves how many people are playing SWTOR.

In other words, even if you had a 1.15% chance as you calculated, out of the at least 1 million people who play SWTOR, you might just be the person.
That's why I'm asking if other people have had similar results to me.

The thing is, unless someone goes around and collects data, we cannot empirically prove or disprove that the crit chances are working as intended. All we can do is voice our personal experiences and if there are enough individual instances of a lower than indicated crit chance, Bioware (the one who could go get all the information) should investigate any potential problems.

Like I said, a 1.15% chance is still a chance and I may have been unlucky. But if it's happening to a lot of other people too, then Bioware needs to look into it as it suggests that there is a problem.

NermalDetonator's Avatar


NermalDetonator
05.04.2012 , 05:28 PM | #4
Their crit chance has to be WAY off in that example. My crit chance for greyed out custom (orange) schematics is much lower than that.

Astarica's Avatar


Astarica
05.04.2012 , 06:16 PM | #5
Given a very large amount of time/people, very unlikely event become very likely to happen.

If the chance of something happening is 1 out of 1000, given millions are people are playing this game, it'd be really weird if it didn't happen to someone. The chance of you winning Mega Millions is astronomically small (1 in 100+ million) but when several billion dollars worth of tickets are sold, it actually becomes very likely that someone will win.

Rischardo's Avatar


Rischardo
05.04.2012 , 11:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by NermalDetonator View Post
Their crit chance has to be WAY off in that example. My crit chance for greyed out custom (orange) schematics is much lower than that.
well there's one. Mind telling us which companions you usually use and their affection level?

Mawduce's Avatar


Mawduce
05.04.2012 , 11:45 PM | #7
1 in 1000.... % is based of 100%. meaning 1% of 100% is 1 per 100, not 1 per 1000. what you describe is 10 per 1000 which it is not. if that were so, this gear would be way more expensive. if it goes off everyone playing then its the worst system ever designed.
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

joetacticSW's Avatar


joetacticSW
05.05.2012 , 12:34 AM | #8
I have had a similar experience to the original poster. I payed the 1million credits for astromech droid, payed 100k for the Armormech/Underworld Trading Sensor unit and equipped it on my C2N2. I was hoping it would display his new abilities in the missions tab like it used to display him as +Diplomacy. Now I used him to make Rakata Belts for myself. I want to crit on a Rakata belt because then I would have better than Campaign. (For me, campaign belt is +10 aim, +7 power, where I could get +18 aim with augment). I used him instead of my normal Armormech guy who is only plus 5. So far I crafted 9 Rakata belts, spent 9 alloys and tons of Mandalorian Irons without an augment. I switched to my other guy after about 5 belts because I figured my droid upgrade was broken. I think I may have just been F'd by the random bad luck, still depressing, so many mats gone to waste. Biometric Crystal Alloy costs 150k+ on my server, or going to a Normal Op, which noone wants to do lol
Battlemaster - 50 Combat Medic
The Warthirsting Legacy
Grand Master Zym Server

Havocx's Avatar


Havocx
05.05.2012 , 01:35 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by joetacticSW View Post
I have had a similar experience to the original poster. I payed the 1million credits for astromech droid, payed 100k for the Armormech/Underworld Trading Sensor unit and equipped it on my C2N2. I was hoping it would display his new abilities in the missions tab like it used to display him as +Diplomacy. Now I used him to make Rakata Belts for myself. I want to crit on a Rakata belt because then I would have better than Campaign. (For me, campaign belt is +10 aim, +7 power, where I could get +18 aim with augment). I used him instead of my normal Armormech guy who is only plus 5. So far I crafted 9 Rakata belts, spent 9 alloys and tons of Mandalorian Irons without an augment. I switched to my other guy after about 5 belts because I figured my droid upgrade was broken. I think I may have just been F'd by the random bad luck, still depressing, so many mats gone to waste. Biometric Crystal Alloy costs 150k+ on my server, or going to a Normal Op, which noone wants to do lol
Guess you never crafted before? Jaesa, my SW companion has +5% crit for synthweaving, so basically the same chance as droid with the right sensor. I made over 40 rakata belts/bracers and only had 1 crit bracer to show for it.

Lemina_Ausa's Avatar


Lemina_Ausa
05.05.2012 , 03:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by joetacticSW View Post
I have had a similar experience to the original poster. I payed the 1million credits for astromech droid, payed 100k for the Armormech/Underworld Trading Sensor unit and equipped it on my C2N2. I was hoping it would display his new abilities in the missions tab like it used to display him as +Diplomacy. Now I used him to make Rakata Belts for myself. I want to crit on a Rakata belt because then I would have better than Campaign. (For me, campaign belt is +10 aim, +7 power, where I could get +18 aim with augment). I used him instead of my normal Armormech guy who is only plus 5. So far I crafted 9 Rakata belts, spent 9 alloys and tons of Mandalorian Irons without an augment. I switched to my other guy after about 5 belts because I figured my droid upgrade was broken. I think I may have just been F'd by the random bad luck, still depressing, so many mats gone to waste. Biometric Crystal Alloy costs 150k+ on my server, or going to a Normal Op, which noone wants to do lol
That is because the ship droid sensor for armormech is NOT +crit, it is +10 Efficiency, i.e. it is of absolutely no use when it comes to increased crit chance. Now, your +5 guy? I think that's tanno, and his is +5 crit, not efficiency, so yes he WILL be better than your ship droid at critting. You've basically just wasted money getting that sensor if your intention was to get armormech crit.