Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Role playing

Scorpienne
05.04.2012 , 09:35 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by LeavarionCL View Post
Hello, I have been playing PvP and found it utterly irritating not because I am bad at it because I don't want to run around looking over my back because some moron wants to test my character against his. So, suffice to say I am thinking of branching into RP-PvE more likely. Can anyone give me any advice ie what to focus on with solo playing and group playing, or if anyone would like to help me level etc, I'd be very grateful
Well, do you want to RP or not? If you're more interested in levelling fast, you're more likely to find a good PL group in a PvE environment.

If you're into the RP, then I reccomend Sanctum of the exalted. It's got a strong, organized RP environment.

If you're not sure what you want, then try this... take the Ideal Guild Quiz and see where the people who play like you do hang out.

www.tortoolbox.com/quiz

Paige

Scorpienne
05.04.2012 , 09:39 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by flyersfan View Post
You must not be playing on a SW:TOR RP server. BioWare has openly admitted that it is doing nothing to police RP servers. It doesn't even monitor for naming policies.
Well, I'm not sure the cost/benefit ratio on "policing" the RP on RP servers is worth it for anyone.

What does happen is that there is a sort of social enforcement of RP norms. Some of the big guilds will boot a character that doesn't have a RP name (mine does, for instance). Every name has got to have a story. Sometimes that story concludes with "and that's how I got that nickname" and that's okay.

Paige

ScarletBlaze
05.04.2012 , 09:49 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LeavarionCL View Post
Hello, I have been playing PvP and found it utterly irritating not because I am bad at it because I don't want to run around looking over my back because some moron wants to test my character against his. So, suffice to say I am thinking of branching into RP-PvE more likely. Can anyone give me any advice ie what to focus on with solo playing and group playing, or if anyone would like to help me level etc, I'd be very grateful
1. What type of roleplaying are you looking for?

There are different types of roleplay. Some that will be what some call "lore police" that is everything you roleplay has to fit what the deem worthy.

There are some that use the lore/canon as a basis but they allow individual freedom to the character and for people that are new to roleplaying that sometimes works to the benefit of the new player.

2. Are you looking for a guild or a goup to roleplay with?

If you are, then I would suggest this:

a. Figure out what type of guild/group you want to become involved it and then look for that group. Not all guilds/groups are the same just as not all roleplays are the same.

Another suggestion find someone that is willing to help you if you are new without saying No No you can't do that or this. Unfortunely, some roleplayers get so involved into trying to get people to fit into what they believe they should be that they have forgotten the basic idea, fun .

Above all roleplaying should be fun and should allow you the individual freedom to create your character how you imagine him/her to be based on your perception not on someone else.

As far as servers, check them out for yourself and see which suits your style and time schedule.

Good luck..
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

flyersfan
05.05.2012 , 12:01 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
Well, I'm not sure the cost/benefit ratio on "policing" the RP on RP servers is worth it for anyone.

What does happen is that there is a sort of social enforcement of RP norms. Some of the big guilds will boot a character that doesn't have a RP name (mine does, for instance). Every name has got to have a story. Sometimes that story concludes with "and that's how I got that nickname" and that's okay.

Paige
My guild does this too, but we're not a large enough guild to make an impact. I've noticed that a great deal of the bigger guilds on Jung Ma don't seem to have any RP focus at all. Many advertise as "PvE & PvP with some RP," which I find insulting, to be honest.

I've turned down potential recruits due to names in the past. I'll likely be turning down Sith Jedi in the future as well. I can't believe BioWare did that

verymediocre
05.05.2012 , 01:39 PM | #15
If you'd like a PvE server, then I suggest Mind Trick. I have a few now abandoned characters over there, but it's a decent server. There are some good guilds and good people as well. It's a moderately populated server, but it's nice.
I'll vouch for this suggestion.

My non-RP characters (in every MMO that supports it, I have one "normal" server and one RP server) are on Mind Trick, and I've found it a pretty pleasant server overall. It's never packed by any means, but you can almost always see a conversation going in General as you level on any given planet, and it's relatively easy to snag people for a group as long as you're not looking at like 2AM on a Wednesday.

I've fallen for Lord Adraas a bit when it comes to RP. For all my disappointing experiences at the start there, once you get to a point where you don't mind chillin' in a Cantina for a bit you'll stumble into a lot more sporadic RP moments than I was expecting.

I'll likely be turning down Sith Jedi in the future as well. I can't believe BioWare did that
Don't see why it isn't at least possible, if not plausible. Not EVERY Sith (as-in, the race) is going to have an identical world view as the rest of their race, there are always outlying individuals who will, either by natural inclination or through their life experiences, deviate from the norm. A Sith could, by some wacky circumstances, come to be raised to believe in the philosophy of the Jedi (good moment for that "adopted child" Legacy choice) and, through good word and proof of intent, be admitted as a padawan.

Now, if Sith Jedi were a default choice, so we see them all over the place... that would be a problem.

flyersfan
05.05.2012 , 05:36 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by verymediocre View Post
Don't see why it isn't at least possible, if not plausible. Not EVERY Sith (as-in, the race) is going to have an identical world view as the rest of their race, there are always outlying individuals who will, either by natural inclination or through their life experiences, deviate from the norm. A Sith could, by some wacky circumstances, come to be raised to believe in the philosophy of the Jedi (good moment for that "adopted child" Legacy choice) and, through good word and proof of intent, be admitted as a padawan.

Now, if Sith Jedi were a default choice, so we see them all over the place... that would be a problem.
Yes, it's possible and we have a Sith Jedi with us now, but that doesn't mean there should be a ton of them. What are the odds that a Sith becomes a Jedi? It doesn't look right if we have a million Sith running around Tython. It actually makes my blood boil.

Varyen
05.06.2012 , 04:51 AM | #17
This is my first MMO as well.

In terms of RP servers, I expected them to remain RP-oriented. I imagined a server where players were continuously acting IC and I would see a great deal of interesting names and nicely created stories. However, with no kind of moderation at all, players that haven't come to an RP server to RP make ridiculous names and some give the RPers grief for RPing on an RP server. This has also created the problem that there is no open-world RP on any of the RP servers that I've been on (six altogether). In addition, we're filled with non-RPers that have come to RP servers for "a better community." To me, this is nonsensical and I truly wish that they would have sought a different server. It does not make sense to me to create a character on an RP server if you have no intention of RPing.

My rant has ended.
I don't RP often, but people are normally friendier on RP servers, I learned hat on WoW my last 2 years. Yea there's still the a-holes but I'm referring to ingeneral. You might be surprized to find out that you have some closet RPers that just havn't come out yet. I'm in a none RP guild, one of my guild mates asked if she could watch, ask question &/or join in when she felt comfortable after finding out that i RPed & is havning alot of fun now.

flyersfan
05.06.2012 , 08:49 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Varyen View Post
I don't RP often, but people are normally friendier on RP servers, I learned hat on WoW my last 2 years. Yea there's still the a-holes but I'm referring to ingeneral. You might be surprized to find out that you have some closet RPers that just havn't come out yet. I'm in a none RP guild, one of my guild mates asked if she could watch, ask question &/or join in when she felt comfortable after finding out that i RPed & is havning alot of fun now.
I know what you mean about people being shy. I've made it a special point to always ask people if they want to RP whenever we group or I just jump right in. Sometimes they respond appropriately and other times they don't. I will say that I die a little inside every time I get a "lol I don't RP."

Listerman
05.06.2012 , 09:05 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by otakuon View Post
Actually, Ebon Hawk is the largest US RP-PvE server based on sheer numbers. My guild is on Sanctum of the Exalted and we have a very active RP community.

And don't listen to the nay-sayers. RP is what keeps you going between the content updates.
Ebon Hawk has the numbers, but the RP there is almost non-existant, or at least that's the case whenever I log on...The occasional smattering of usuals at the fleet bar and that's about it.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

StewyG
05.06.2012 , 09:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
Ebon Hawk has the numbers, but the RP there is almost non-existant, or at least that's the case whenever I log on...The occasional smattering of usuals at the fleet bar and that's about it.
May I ask when you log on? I always find RP on the Fleet or elsewhere (DK/Nar Shaddaa mostly). My guild is RP first, so it might be that I know where to look for the RP.
Cleveland-50 Assassin
Merneptah-50 Sniper
Mae'fole-50 Vanguard
The Alobad Legacy