Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What can I do to make SWTOR run faster?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What can I do to make SWTOR run faster?

brbvideotapes
05.03.2012 , 11:12 AM | #1
Long(ish?) time player, first time poster, so, hello!

I bought SWTOR almost at launch, but before I did, I checked to see if I had the system requirements, so I went to canyourunit.com, which told me (basically) I could run it super well. The bar went all the way up. I had a way better driver than needed, way more video memory than needed, etc. Just, everything. But since I've started playing, I've had to run it on ultra low settings. All the bars set to the lowest, and everything that can be turned off, is off. Even so, it's very choppy unless I'm in really tiny buildings.

Oh, and I'm constantly doing 8-10 FPS on PvP.

tl;dl: My system requirements faaar exceed those needed to run the game, yet I'm still doing 17-20 FPS on super low settings, and 9 FPS on PvP.

I've tried defragging the game, installing Game Booster so the CPU usage is going all to the game, etc. Nothing works. Can anyone please tell me what the hell's going on?

Thanks in advance.

brbvideotapes
05.03.2012 , 11:19 AM | #2
bump?

Zilkin
05.03.2012 , 11:22 AM | #3
Buy a new computer.

brbvideotapes
05.03.2012 , 11:24 AM | #4
Read OP.

LTCThunder
05.03.2012 , 11:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by brbvideotapes View Post
Long(ish?) time player, first time poster, so, hello!

I bought SWTOR almost at launch, but before I did, I checked to see if I had the system requirements, so I went to canyourunit.com, which told me (basically) I could run it super well. The bar went all the way up. I had a way better driver than needed, way more video memory than needed, etc. Just, everything. But since I've started playing, I've had to run it on ultra low settings. All the bars set to the lowest, and everything that can be turned off, is off. Even so, it's very choppy unless I'm in really tiny buildings.

Oh, and I'm constantly doing 8-10 FPS on PvP.

tl;dl: My system requirements faaar exceed those needed to run the game, yet I'm still doing 17-20 FPS on super low settings, and 9 FPS on PvP.

I've tried defragging the game, installing Game Booster so the CPU usage is going all to the game, etc. Nothing works. Can anyone please tell me what the hell's going on?

Thanks in advance.
List some of the components for your machine.

Acherom
05.03.2012 , 11:27 AM | #6
Dig down into the depths of the General board.

There is a guide for drastically increasing the performance of the game (especially on Windows 7 systems).

Using this guide I took my friends older machine from 12-15 fps on Drumund Kaas: to a stable 50-60 fps.

Your mileage may vary.
"These people have lost a homeworld through no fault of their own. Offering them a new homeworld is the least I can do to compensate them for their loss." - Darth Sidious

brbvideotapes
05.03.2012 , 11:30 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LTCThunder View Post
List some of the components for your machine.
Sure:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz
6 gigs o' RAM
Windows 7 64bit
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v with
Pix Shader version 4.1,
Vertex shader version 4.1
1GB dedicated vid. RAM

Sasheria
05.03.2012 , 11:30 AM | #8
Turn off Shadow (even with 1.2 turning off shadow is a BIG change)

brbvideotapes
05.03.2012 , 11:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Acherom View Post
Dig down into the depths of the General board.

There is a guide for drastically increasing the performance of the game (especially on Windows 7 systems).

Using this guide I took my friends older machine from 12-15 fps on Drumund Kaas: to a stable 50-60 fps.

Your mileage may vary.
Thanks a ton, I'll start lurkin', but is there no way you can link it to me?

brbvideotapes
05.03.2012 , 11:31 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sasheria View Post
Turn off Shadow (even with 1.2 turning off shadow is a BIG change)
Everything that can be turned off, is off. :/