Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How nasty can you play a smuggler before your companions start to hate you?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
How nasty can you play a smuggler before your companions start to hate you?

davanev
05.03.2012 , 06:47 AM | #1
Is it viable to play a genuinely unpleasant smuggler character without destroying any credibility that Corso and Bowdaar would stay with you ? I don't mean someone who kills for the fun of it but is it possible to play the smuggler as a totaly self interested jerk ? Does the storyline drive you towards being a hero or can you obviously be only in it for the credits ?

For example on the IA and BH stories there is a point where

Spoiler

Farinor
05.03.2012 , 07:35 AM | #2
It depends on the companion, Corso is generally a good guy and Bowdaar has that wookie code of honor thing going for him. The last 3 companions give you a little more freedom to be bad. Plus there isnt anything that presents can't fix.

bright_ephemera
05.03.2012 , 07:44 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by davanev View Post
Is it viable to play a genuinely unpleasant smuggler character without destroying any credibility that Corso and Bowdaar would stay with you ?
No.

Corso pushes ceaselessly for some behavioral cross between Robin Hood and Superman. He's the guy who hates it when you ask to be paid for jobs...okay, so I was asking starving refugees and bereaved widows, but that's beside the point. He's the guy who goes like this:

Quote:
Corso: I can't believe you shot her!
Me: She tried to kill us! After two minutes of gloating about what idiots we are!
Corso: Yeah, but she's a lady! You don't hurt ladies!
Me: A wise man once told me, "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
Corso: If he were really a wise man he would've made an exception for womenfolk.
Bowdaar at least allows a sardonic sense of humor in conversation, but he's honorable and will advocate goodness over profit if a conflict comes up.

I played a smuggler out for profit with no regard for morality - not cruel, but not nice - and Corso despised me. Bowdaar slowly but steadily lost respect for me throughout the game. Thank the stars for companion gifts.

As others have said, the last three companions give you way more moral flexibility.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

grandmthethird
05.03.2012 , 07:53 AM | #4
send your companion to sell your trash items, just before you enter a conversation
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

iCanUseTheForce
05.03.2012 , 09:13 AM | #5
I model my smuggler after Talon Karrde and Han Solo. Talon's objectivity and loyalty to no-one but his crew. Han's sarcastic, arrogant, scrapper. Either way, not popular personalities for Corso or Bowdarr. I mean, I got my companions' backs. But I'm a smuggler...I want to get paid dammit. I'm thinking my smuggler might develop more a Republic-friendly conscience as his story progresses. But for now, he's a profit-minded smuggler-for-hire. Suck it Corso. If I have to punch a lady to get some answers, so be it.

djcreature
05.03.2012 , 11:48 AM | #6
I play most of my toons the way I like them to be played. Still have affection maxed out, how? I use gifts for affection. The affection lost by bad choices is trivial compared to gifts.

ikinai
05.03.2012 , 11:58 AM | #7
I'm quite mean to Corso, and yet he lurves me, give them enough shiny gifts and they forgive you anything you do
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School

bright_ephemera
05.03.2012 , 11:58 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by djcreature View Post
I play most of my toons the way I like them to be played. Still have affection maxed out, how? I use gifts for affection. The affection lost by bad choices is trivial compared to gifts.
This is what I always loved about BW games. Back in the day, a mug of ale was exactly equivalent to one senseless murder of an innocent civilian in Alistair's eyes. Nowadays, a pair of ammunition belts will completely wipe out Corso's ire from that time I told his fallen-from-grace lady cousin to keep smuggling spice, only funnel the profits to me instead of to her old boss.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Crezelle
05.03.2012 , 02:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
I'm quite mean to Corso, and yet he lurves me, give them enough shiny gifts and they forgive you anything you do
lol, im mean to him too at this point he only got me to give him permission to TRY and win me over....
bowdaar is my wingman for when i spare corso the carnage of watching me get it on with npcs
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

elliotcat
05.04.2012 , 02:34 PM | #10
On the other hand if you're like me an are LS, yay the Republic is awesome etc, Akaavi hates you pretty quickly.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"