Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard or Commando

damolawler
05.02.2012 , 08:32 AM | #1
Hi folks,

So i'm going to make a new alt, and I want a ranged character. I don't want a gunslinger as they are too immobile, and scoundrels are Melee than ranged.

So I want to make a good ranged DPS trooper that has some mobility. Do i need a vanguard or a commando? and which spec is best?

JLapp
05.02.2012 , 08:44 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by damolawler View Post
Hi folks,

So i'm going to make a new alt, and I want a ranged character. I don't want a gunslinger as they are too immobile, and scoundrels are Melee than ranged.

So I want to make a good ranged DPS trooper that has some mobility. Do i need a vanguard or a commando? and which spec is best?
Vanguard falls into the same more melee than ranged type that scoundrels do so you are probably want commando.

As far as spec, gunnery is still better for PVE and assault is better for PVP. Assault has quite a bit more mobility than gunnery though. Gunnery is a turret.

dejavy
05.02.2012 , 11:05 PM | #3
If you're looking for a ranger class you must know a couple of things about trooper...

Commando gunnery is more immobile than slinger and now his dps nerfed to bottom, don't know why but it's happened. Maybe there were too many whiners about tracer missiles or something.

Assualt commando is a squishy doting **** without any defensive or escaping skills AC with tooooo predictable easily cleansing damage. It's just... senseless AC. You run and spam hammershot coz you just don't have time to stand and cast this fullauto/charged bolts crap. In the end you can take 3d-5th line among top DPSers but from tactical point of view, it's just the 5th wheel at WZ. There's nothing a commando can suggest to his group. No tools, no survivability, no CC. Empty bottle.

Vanguard is a BOMB! Assualt vang is beating all the .... out of imps BUT it's more melee not range. Tactics vanguard is even more melee with good stable damage but it requires top gear and very very straight hands. If you need ranger, it's not for you, trust me.

So that i have both trooper ACs (73 and 68 valor) and commando was my main i'd advise you to play Gslinger if you like rangers. It's MUCH more fun to play in comparison with commando. The GS tools are much more wider usable and far more interesting to apply to my mind.

The last arguement about not taking commando ranger:
Commando is the worst dueling class. Be ready to lose most of the fights one-on-one especially against premades. Yeah and prepare your head for marauder/jugger monkeyjumps upon it. You'll be constantly focused by them coz you're the easiest target for them. Actually commando is the easiest target for any other melee and for any other rangers after 1.2 Now it's a trash class not for serious pvp matters. If you're choosing the class for fun and pug pvp, then it's more or less fine but still it sux to lose to any crapy as***hole with an interrupt skill. Oh, and commando doesn't have interruption. I had to say it before you realize it on 50.

I really loved my main commando but BW just made me reroll. There's no place for him in my fully oriented pvp guild. When i realized it, i started Gslinger. If you want RANGER and good numbers in dps trooper is not your choice bro. At least now.

Good luck

PS
Daaamn, i forgot to ask for what matters do you need your ranger? I don't pve mostly, so i just can't tell you about his pve profits.