Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Do Not Nerf Lost Island. A Rational View.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Please Do Not Nerf Lost Island. A Rational View.

Likepro
05.02.2012 , 08:41 AM | #21
I enjoy a good challenge, especially in 4 mans, just as much as anyone, and my group was able to clear the place on patch day without getting hung up too long on any of the bosses, but you really have to think "would I want to pug this place? can I really trust to not have to be in here for hours with a few randoms?"

As it is right now, although I don't run 4 mans anymore, I wouldn't be comfortable forming a group for Lost Island HM random people from trade channel, specifically because of the 2nd boss. It's off-putting to go into a boss with a group of strangers and know a wipe-fest is imminent. 4 mans need to be accessible and tuned so that any group can go in and not wipe more than a couple times on each boss, and that 2nd boss is tuned to be far more difficult than the rest of the fights, effectively blocking people from even seeing the others. It's bosses like this that make people flat out leave a group, screwing over the other 3 people and you can't have that in a piece of content that people need in order to obtain the gear you should have in order to start Ops.

tl;dr, 4 mans should be pug-able, Lost Island HM as is, is a bit too tall of an order for "just throwing a group together" for. I think the 2nd boss should straight up have a mechanic completely removed, and I think the last boss could use nerfs to satchel charge and maybe the effective enrage in the last phase.
Likewhoa, JK Guardian, Mors Certa, Wound in the Force

ubique
05.02.2012 , 08:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Semitote View Post
The first real boss is ridiculously hectic as well - though, if you can beat him you can probably beat every boss in the instance (if you have the DPS for the bonus boss).

I dunno, maybe change the enrage timer on the bonus boss and tune the first boss slightly.. The second and last bosses are fine as they are.
The bonus boss is exactly that: a bonus. His loot should be improved based on his difficulty (which is essentially nil once you're running Lost Island like any other HM). As far as the robot, he is essentially the "ready check" of the instance (with very different strategies depending on group make-up). Kill him and you're golden. Also, it's not just any piece of Columi that Doc Lorrick drops, it's the mainhand. Something only previously available on a week-long lockout timer now being accessible as often as you're willing to run the FP is great. The way I see this instance is less of an impossible mess and more of a way to farm Rakata chestpieces and Columi mainhands for guildies.
Ubique
Shadow Tank
The Shadowlands
Me

dankat
05.02.2012 , 01:58 PM | #23
I agree. Each of the bosses are a load of fun and a good challenge. Some of the HM's before like the Battle of Ilum and Kaon Under Siege were rough, but this is rock hard, the way it should be. It also has one of the most interesting stories currently in the game, and decent enough rewards to lure in players, though you should at least get columi commedations. Otherwise, really good and I hope Bioware continues to produce more HM flashpoints with decent challenge (present before, just surrounded by things like BT and EV, and not to the extent of this) and a stellar story (as if it wasn't stellar before, you must admit that ).
Damn the fool who said history doesn't repeat itself, he clearly was not talking about MMOS.

alifaraaz
05.02.2012 , 02:19 PM | #24
Nice post OP, agree with most of it. However this thread will just become an argument like the rest :P I've aired my views before, but in short:

-Make 1st boss a little bit easier, not much, just a bit. People dont mind struggling on the last boss of an instance, but hate being stuck on the first, especially when the next 2 are easier.
-Drop Columi commendations, not Tionese crystals.
-Enjoy the difficulty. Just because it's new doesn't mean its compulsary. All the loot that drops can be obtained elsewhere in the game, so you dont have to do it on HM if you dont want to. Story/Normal is there to enjoy the story, and get your columi/rakata elsewhere.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

WhackedRampage
05.02.2012 , 02:29 PM | #25
To those who say it takes too long: It does take a while to learn the mechanics, but once you get those down it's just like any other flashpoint. The group I go with finished it in 45 minutes with zero deaths.

Amalak
05.02.2012 , 02:33 PM | #26
I agree with OP, he's got my vote

But, I also agree the loot is meh... but I do love the place for the challenge, its nice to have something that isnt just a face roll. I do it at least 2-3 times a week just for the fun of it. If you cannot do the FP, dont give up, just re think your tactics and watch some vids of some successful runs. The first time we tried it, it was tough but we got thru it, without even checking vids just adapting to what the situation presented. LI is by far the most fun I have ingame right now, its just a blast gettin everyone to coordinate. There should always be content that is challenge, ez mode FPs get so boring...

Iwipe
05.02.2012 , 03:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by WhackedRampage View Post
To those who say it takes too long: It does take a while to learn the mechanics, but once you get those down it's just like any other flashpoint. The group I go with finished it in 45 minutes with zero deaths.
That is very true, the first time I run it with my guild, it took us 2-3 hrs to learn the new mechanics, doing the bonus boss and wipe over and over (we also had some experience with the LRR droid on the PTS where we wiped about 10 times hehe).

However, these days we run HM LI for the Black Hole comms weekly and an average run goes fairly fast (45-1 hr are the normal with maybe one or two deaths). It is always funny when we get to the 2nd boss that stomps and people don't stand inside his model..

That being said, the instance is fairly difficult for pugging though. A high amount of communication is needed.

Hologramx
05.02.2012 , 05:26 PM | #28
This HM FP is much harder than NiM KP.
It should be renamed to Nim LI and the reward raised accordingly or it is pointless FTM.
For 99% of the player base, THERE ISN'T ANY NEW FLASHPOINT IN 1.2.
Keep the current setting and change it to NiM FP for challengers who loves it.
But make a new real HM that matches the same difficulty as KUS.
What's the point of blocking everyone from the FP by placing a 1st boss which is unbeatable by over 99%?
Is this a HARDCORE ONLY MMO?
Why make an FP that only favors less than 1% of your customers?

AesirUesugi
05.02.2012 , 05:39 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Hologramx View Post
Is this a HARDCORE ONLY MMO?
Why make an FP that only favors less than 1% of your customers?
Please don't ruin our enjoyment of it by nerfing it. I don't understand people like this guy, you want to just experience the flashpoint then run normal mode or keep practising.

Hologramx
05.02.2012 , 05:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AesirUesugi View Post
Please don't ruin our enjoyment of it by nerfing it. I don't understand people like this guy, you want to just experience the flashpoint then run normal mode or keep practising.
Run a normal FP with full Rakata? LOL
Lets all the selfish hardcores stay and casual leave the game. Is this your suggestion?
Not to mention that it requires a specific group to do it. This FP is absolutely impossible to pug.