Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Do Not Nerf Lost Island. A Rational View.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Please Do Not Nerf Lost Island. A Rational View.

ubique
05.02.2012 , 05:27 AM | #1
I do not post on here much, granted, so I don't know the arguments that the people that aren't clearing Lost Island HM are that it's too difficult and over-tuned, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and attempt to explain that not only is lost only perfectly tuned, but it is the first real challenging hard mode FP in the game.

I have tanked and cleared the instance almost a dozen times, and have tried both with two ranged DPS and one ranged, one melee. Granted, the second boss seems tough at first, second, and third glance...but this is not meant to be on scale with normal HM flashpoints, as is made perfectly clear by the distinction as part of a separate weekly quest. The Rakghoul Invasion, if you can actually get to/kill Doctor Lorrick and follow the story, is quite interesting stuff.

None of the scripted events are "impossible" by any means, and anyone who has cleared it can tell you that with each run the familiarity with each event increases your team's efficacy. Prior to Lost Island, there were no truly difficult (and by that I mean non-bugged) flashpoints. None. Now a flashpoint exists which requires very tight group coordination, combined with a mixture of the appropriate gear and skill, and everyone cries nerf. The problem is the ever-so widespread sense of entitlement among players, not the difficulty of the instance.

You do not deserve to be able to clear a HM just because you're 50. Lost Island and Denova are great additions to the game because of their undeniable level of challenge. The Rakghoul Invasion/Campaign, cliched zombie mode though it may be, is perhaps the best "to be continued" content in the game. If either Lost Island or Denova are nerfed, to the point where there is no challenge for the hardcore playerbase, then nothing but problems lie ahead.

-Humbly Yours

Sagavellius
05.02.2012 , 06:08 AM | #2
Totally agree, I really like the new FP, I think it's tuned just fine.

I'd even say I'd love other Flash points to get an new level of difficulty, call it nightmare or whatever, with the same degree of difficulty.
Maybe not to unbalance too much they could lower the black hole commendation reward for the rakgoule weekly to 3 or 4 and add an other weekly asking to do 3 of the FP in "nightmare" difficulty for 3 or 4 black hole commendations, that would give us a reason to do the old FP again.

Mathias_Varr
05.02.2012 , 06:13 AM | #3
I agree with the OP. I played Lost Island Hard Mode for the first time last night and though we didn't clear it, I still felt that it was truely "hard." Every encounter we did clear required everyone in the group to coordinate and work together and use all of our abilities. Therefore every victory felt like a victory and the close fights were exciting. Like raids, clearing it will come with familiarity of the mechanics and increasing the skill of the players. Lost Island is a place where gear score can only get you so far. THIS IS GOOD.

Leave it as is.

Thegriss
05.02.2012 , 06:14 AM | #4
I also agree. It should not be a free bee HM like all the others. It should require some level of skill and orginization to complete this instance. If you cant clear HM EV then you should not be allowed to clear lost island as the end result of the loot is the same.

Scotsh
05.02.2012 , 06:29 AM | #5
I absolutely agree with the OP.
Lost Island is a great FP which actually challenges you to clear it. Still i got 2 complaints about it: (this is als about hard mode)

1. It is too long. Clearing it with several wipes (which are normal if you play a difficult FP for the first time) takes way over 2 hours. The fact that you can not do it in several sessions but always all over again makes it frustrating. If you do the first 2 bosses you dont wanna waste the effort and its a huge let down if you have to cancel the rest because some ppl dont have anymore time.
Possible solutions or things that could help:
- Shorter walks after wipe, or even better revive right in front of the boss
- Allow speeders inside the FP
- a OPTIONAL lockout, just like the OP lockouts (based on bosses killed) but resetable (if you wanna do it with a new group again)

2. The gear drops are terrible.
Mini-bosses drop Tionese crystals? Bosses drop Columi?
Players which could benefit from these drops are undergeared for this instance in the first place. Granted if you know the mechanics well it might be possible to take some non-columi alts in the instance, but thats super hard mode then (just think of the platform boss with a sub-columi healer). The only thin in line is the rakata chest pice from the end boss.
Of course this a followup problem of the former itemization (obtaining Rakata gear is much easier than Lost Island). I hope future content is much more in line with the new hard modes and this is just a transition phase to a more rewarding loot/effort (effort != time, but effort == difficulty) itemization.

I think each Lost Island boss should drop 1-2 black hole commendations instead of tionese crystals (except of course the minibosses, as the first miniboss could be farmed way too easily)

metaldragen
05.02.2012 , 06:32 AM | #6
/signed

As I posted in the whine thread, this FP is perfect - good, hard progression outside of ops. Good mechanics, requires a good understanding of the fight and really tight group coordination and is very satisfying when it all comes together and you take down LR-5 and Lorrick.

I do like the idea of another difficulty tier for existing FPs (but only if the final bosses dropped BH/Campaign or there was at least a daily/weekly for BH comms). Would give some incentive to do them again since I have no need for any of the gear in any FP, I just run Kaon/LI for the BH comms.
Roving Guns Jedi Covenant PvE
Texa - 50 Marksmanship Sniper | Lexah - 50 Bodyguard Mercenary | Rexah - 50 Immortal Juggernaut

krinaman
05.02.2012 , 06:57 AM | #7
There is nothing rational about making content that few will play.

Now before you say L2Play I did the instance one time and cleared it. Nobody could be bothered to run it again since then.

Quick question for those wanting it to stay the same: How often do you run it? Have you run it more than once?

Thegriss
05.02.2012 , 07:05 AM | #8
If you dont wipe the FP takes around and hour. 45min if you skip the worthless bonus boss.

Scotsh
05.02.2012 , 07:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Thegriss View Post
If you dont wipe the FP takes around and hour. 45min if you skip the worthless bonus boss.
So? But you will wipe occasionally (and often in your first runs, as you should). Whats the problem to let you respawn right before the boss? Always running back huge distances is just a useless timesink, which is clearly nit required in this FP.
And the bonus boss being worthless, because of poor loot design for the FP is a major complaint.

ubique
05.02.2012 , 07:19 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
I absolutely agree with the OP.
Lost Island is a great FP which actually challenges you to clear it. Still i got 2 complaints about it: (this is als about hard mode)

1. It is too long. Clearing it with several wipes (which are normal if you play a difficult FP for the first time) takes way over 2 hours. The fact that you can not do it in several sessions but always all over again makes it frustrating. If you do the first 2 bosses you dont wanna waste the effort and its a huge let down if you have to cancel the rest because some ppl dont have anymore time.
Possible solutions or things that could help:
- Shorter walks after wipe, or even better revive right in front of the boss
- Allow speeders inside the FP
- a OPTIONAL lockout, just like the OP lockouts (based on bosses killed) but resetable (if you wanna do it with a new group again)

2. The gear drops are terrible.
Mini-bosses drop Tionese crystals? Bosses drop Columi?
Players which could benefit from these drops are undergeared for this instance in the first place. Granted if you know the mechanics well it might be possible to take some non-columi alts in the instance, but thats super hard mode then (just think of the platform boss with a sub-columi healer). The only thin in line is the rakata chest pice from the end boss.
Of course this a followup problem of the former itemization (obtaining Rakata gear is much easier than Lost Island). I hope future content is much more in line with the new hard modes and this is just a transition phase to a more rewarding loot/effort (effort != time, but effort == difficulty) itemization.

I think each Lost Island boss should drop 1-2 black hole commendations instead of tionese crystals (except of course the minibosses, as the first miniboss could be farmed way too easily)
All of the issues you bring up are a matter of learning the flashpoint. If I told you the time it took my group, skipping as much as we could, to get from start to Lorrick kill you'd never believe me. My team(s) can pretty reliably do a full clear in less than fifty minutes, with maybe a death or two on boss fights. If you can kill the robot, you can clear the place. As far as Rakata drops, Doctor Lorrick drops not only a Rakata chestpiece, but a Columi weapon...for the reward, the time you put in is well worth it. To say nothing of the awesome story and the fact that, again, the challenge is what makes it fun. Lost Island is a keeper, and future FP's ought to follow in its footsteps.
Ubique
Shadow Tank
The Shadowlands
Me