Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.02.2012 , 03:24 AM | #1
Like the title says, the game usually seems entirely linear, with the only option being how many sidequests you feel like doing. But I was wondering, can your choices or actions prevent you from recruiting any companion in the game - or is it all baked in the main storyline?

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
05.02.2012 , 03:26 AM | #2
You kind of need those companions. They make up your entire crew. Without them, you're just a guy in a robe talking to yourself.

That's pretty crazy.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.02.2012 , 03:28 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
You kind of need those companions. They make up your entire crew. Without them, you're just a guy in a robe talking to yourself.

That's pretty crazy.
Well sure, although who doesn't do that? No, but I was going full dark on a story and was just curious if it's possible to drive away any potential companions by doing so.

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
05.02.2012 , 03:31 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by jgelling View Post
Well sure, although who doesn't do that? No, but I was going full dark on a story and was just curious if it's possible to drive away any potential companions by doing so.
Nope. Apparently they are cool with whatever you do.

Probably because they fear for their lives.

/PinkiePieshrug
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Vonb's Avatar


Vonb
05.02.2012 , 03:32 AM | #5
I don't think you can... I tried to tell Risha to go to hell as often as I could, but she still joined my crew.

It's your story, only a point, in some dialog choices, but whatever choice you make you are driven back to the main line eventually. This is both understandable, and somewhat disapointing.
The question is: can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.(battlebug 2011)

Sammm's Avatar


Sammm
05.02.2012 , 03:35 AM | #6
If SWTOR companions could choose to not become a part of your team, the forum would catch on fire. Threads after threads of complaints and demands... "This is stupid! My companion doesn't want to be a part of team!!!"... "We do a rollback now or I leave the game!!!".... "Wow! Great idea! Now I'm stuck with only 2 companions at lvl 50!!!".

I think it's a good thing Bioware is protecting us from losing potential companions. Let's just say the world isn't ready for a Mass Effect mmo.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
05.02.2012 , 03:37 AM | #7
You could kill them once, I think, but now you just have to have them.


(you can see why really it becomes a balance nightmare and whine-fest almost instantly)
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

vincent-'s Avatar


vincent-
05.02.2012 , 03:39 AM | #8
I believe you could drive them off but they changed that now.
"Bang bang, shootin' blanks every day."*chk chk chk*
Well, I tried.

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.02.2012 , 03:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammm View Post
If SWTOR companions could choose to not become a part of your team, the forum would catch on fire. Threads after threads of complaints and demands... "This is stupid! My companion doesn't want to be a part of team!!!"... "We do a rollback now or I leave the game!!!".... "Wow! Great idea! Now I'm stuck with only 2 companions at lvl 50!!!".

I think it's a good thing Bioware is protecting us from losing potential companions. Let's just say the world isn't ready for a Mass Effect mmo.
Oh no, I definitely want to recruit everyone, but you know, in a lot of games like this some companions are blocked if you don't do a certain quest, or don't find them, etc. Having gone through the game once my impression seemed to be that every companion was on the main story line and seemed like they had to join - I was just curious if I was wrong about that. The game does get lonely in the mid-levels waiting for the first new companion to show up since the starting planet

amnie's Avatar


amnie
05.02.2012 , 03:40 AM | #10
I know you used to be able to actually kill certain companions back in beta but they took that out. wouldn't surprised me if at one point in game you could actually opt out of taking them on board to begin with but then players said 'uh-uh mistake!'