Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enrage timers

Raansu
05.01.2012 , 07:55 PM | #1
They are stupid. Please learn how to make more interesting fights Bioware instead of just making everything into a "burn as fast as you can to beat the enrage timer." But all the nerfs to medpacks/healing goes to show that you guys don't know how to make interesting fights I suppose.

Darth-Malice
05.01.2012 , 08:00 PM | #2
Complex fight mechanics? Multiphase fighting? Pfft Nah
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

alifaraaz
05.01.2012 , 08:33 PM | #3
I don't think enrage timers are so bad. Most of the flashpoints I admit lack much.thought, but they're in level with the easymode first tier stuff.

Second tier, being Lost Island flashpoint and EC raid, are much more interesting. But even they require enrage timer to stop us from taking 6 healers to make everything easy. They force raid composition and force dps to perform.

Don't get me wrong, there are better ways to.do.this, enrage timers are a bit lazy. But they are essentially gear checks.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

Brittaany_Banks
05.01.2012 , 08:36 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
They are stupid. Please learn how to make more interesting fights Bioware instead of just making everything into a "burn as fast as you can to beat the enrage timer." But all the nerfs to medpacks/healing goes to show that you guys don't know how to make interesting fights I suppose.
You are either going to have boss enrage timers, or you are going to have overall operation/flaspoint timers. If neither of those existed they would be too easy.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

Krissvalnorr
05.01.2012 , 08:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
You are either going to have boss enrage timers, or you are going to have overall operation/flaspoint timers. If neither of those existed they would be too easy.
I also hate enrage timer, i would prefer 10000000 more life points on boss. Wiping on a boss at 2% because he decides he does 1000% more damage is stupid, find something else.

Kaonis
05.01.2012 , 09:39 PM | #6
Enrage would be fine if it wasn't tacked onto everything, and it wasn't the same ole "Oh hey I AOE 1 shot you lawls!", but instead a more soft enrage like say some added mechanics popping up (more adds, environmental hazards) So that if enrage hits you still have a chance through skill to pull it through, not just being cheaply 1 shoted and having to redo it all over again.

MorbidAri
05.01.2012 , 09:54 PM | #7
+1 to enrage timer hate. Every single boss has one, and it's so tight that one DC for 15 secs or a single death will often mean enrage. So yeah, if you wanna keep enrage, cut us some damn slack.

DawnAskham
05.01.2012 , 10:41 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
Wrong.

There are lots of mechanics that can be employed that are not technically enrage timers and yet can still ensure fights are not easy as well as will not go on forever.

This includes progressively increasing damage, stacking boss damage buffs, stacking player debuffs, increasing quantity of adds, faster spawning adds, adds with progressively more health, increasing quantity of fire (bad stuff), faster spawning fire (bad stuff), fire (bad stuff) covering more floor space, etc.

And those are just basic encounter design variables that could be used in lieu of enrage timers.

There are so many possibilities for creating encounters that are very difficult and require lots of coordination that have no enrage timers.

Raansu
05.01.2012 , 10:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaonis View Post
Enrage would be fine if it wasn't tacked onto everything, and it wasn't the same ole "Oh hey I AOE 1 shot you lawls!", but instead a more soft enrage like say some added mechanics popping up (more adds, environmental hazards) So that if enrage hits you still have a chance through skill to pull it through, not just being cheaply 1 shoted and having to redo it all over again.
This.

NotRonin
05.01.2012 , 11:32 PM | #10
Even when enrage occurs, it does not mean certain death. Sometimes the bosses can be kited, and tanks using their cooldown can often survive enrage for a while. Given the track record so far, enrage is preferrable to the multitude of bugs that will manifest with more complicated mechanics.