Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BioWare: No means no. Let us break off romances.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
BioWare: No means no. Let us break off romances.

bright_ephemera
05.01.2012 , 08:34 AM | #1
I have an idea for a game feature: Let us exit companion romances! From threads here and here it sounds like that's currently impossible. ("Working as intended"!?) Once the [Flirt]ing has started you do see opportunities on multiple occasions to say "No," "I'm leaving you," "I changed my mind in light of this new information," and so on, and none of that matters: they'll love you, and keep propositioning you, 'til the end of time.

This is stupid. Upsetting, especially if you're trying to RP...the guy who's standing on your bridge watching you, requesting sex every few levels, is more than a little offputting. Especially when you have some very good reasons (as with female Sith Warriors) for dumping him.

Newsflash, writers: Stop means stop, and no means no. If your father and other role models never told you this, well, I'm telling you now. Asking players to push through something they don't want to do any more, and to tolerate sexual advances they've repeatedly refused, and then giving them stat penalties relative to their peers if they just stop doing conversations, is disgusting on both an in-game and a meta level.

Dragon Age: Origins did it right. The player had the option to break up; had several different ways to do it, either amicably or...not; and the companion respected their wishes. It blows my mind that SWTOR felt unsetting the "romance" flag after teasing the player with a chance to say "no" was just too much effort to implement.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Darth_Moonshadow
05.01.2012 , 08:40 AM | #2
If they do this, you do realize that it would require your affection with them to take a massive and possibly irredeemable hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Ralev
05.01.2012 , 08:48 AM | #3
I have to agree. My Smuggler is kind of a manwhore. He romanced Risha and Akaavi and even though I chose the option to keep things "casual" with Akaavi (the dialogue option even said it), she went all Fatal Attraction on him.

Now he is married to Risha, and unfortunately the only way I can progress through Akaavi's dialogues are romance options where if he turns her down I lose tons of affection, or if he chooses Akaavi and dumps Risha (which I do not wish to do, as I am looking forward to future companion quests and such).

I know I kind of painted him into a corner, but there should be a way to go back on the "just friends" track through our choices, shouldn't there?

bright_ephemera
05.01.2012 , 08:49 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
If they do this, you do realize that it would require your affection with them to take a massive and possibly irredeemable hit.
This is infinitely preferable to having the guy with my house key following my character around trying to put the moves on her for the rest of her life. One is awkward and difficult but more or less believable as something a team might survive; the other reeks of coercion.

There comes a point where I don't care about his (or her) affection, I just want him (or her) to stop stalking me.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Birna
05.01.2012 , 02:51 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
It would be completely worth however many presents I need to buy. It's ridiculous that there's no way to get them off the romance track once I decide "OK, actually, you're sort of gross."

Corso is my personal example of this. I had thought (hoped) that perhaps he would grow past the godawful white knight stuff and see my smuggler as a person and a partner, rather than a ~lady~ to put up on an unrealistic pedestal, but it's become quite clear that no, he's going to do that crap forever. That is fine for some women, but it is not at all something I want to see through to completion, but it will not let me dump him. So instead I get to feel skeeved out that this dude will not take no for an answer, further solidifying my "he doesn't listen to a friggin' thing my smuggler says, he is a creep" opinion.

It's a simple, obvious thing, and I just do not understand how it got overlooked.

Bigdaddygarlic
05.01.2012 , 03:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralev View Post
I have to agree. My Smuggler is kind of a manwhore. He romanced Risha and Akaavi and even though I chose the option to keep things "casual" with Akaavi (the dialogue option even said it), she went all Fatal Attraction on him.

Now he is married to Risha, and unfortunately the only way I can progress through Akaavi's dialogues are romance options where if he turns her down I lose tons of affection, or if he chooses Akaavi and dumps Risha (which I do not wish to do, as I am looking forward to future companion quests and such).

I know I kind of painted him into a corner, but there should be a way to go back on the "just friends" track through our choices, shouldn't there?
I'm not sure but I think that's the idea go messing around with two women that live on
Your ship mind you and you get what you got. Try that with two real women and they just mite get you in your sleep.

dmtvaroha
05.01.2012 , 04:43 PM | #7
/sign

simply not using a certain companion shouldn't be the only option since that class of character (ranged tank for example) may be what you need or desire.

LeonBraun
05.01.2012 , 11:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dmtvaroha View Post
/sign

simply not using a certain companion shouldn't be the only option since that class of character (ranged tank for example) may be what you need or desire.
True. Doc, from what I've seen so far is the worst companion in the game for a female toon... But I haven't seen em all, and clearly this is problematic for people.

I play both male and female toons for some variety. I hate Doc. My Sentinel uses Doc cause that class has no self heals.
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

Ralev
05.02.2012 , 03:05 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bigdaddygarlic View Post
I'm not sure but I think that's the idea go messing around with two women that live on
Your ship mind you and you get what you got. Try that with two real women and they just mite get you in your sleep.
My Smuggler is kind of the "Flirt first, Ask questions never" type. I did it because I had heard about the confrontation scenes (and they were a hoot), but I didn't know that you could not ever get off the relationship track once started (which makes absolutely no sense, particularly because I chose the option that told Akaavi that they were keeping it casual).

bright_ephemera
05.02.2012 , 05:47 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralev View Post
I didn't know that you could not ever get off the relationship track once started (which makes absolutely no sense, particularly because I chose the option that told Akaavi that they were keeping it casual).
I hear you. I heard a bit of Corso's backstory and style, then told him I changed my mind and wasn't interested in what he was offering. Never laid a hand on him, mind you; just flirted, realized my mistake, backed off. A few days later he comes back with "So we're going to have sex now, right?"

If I wanted guys to follow me around demanding sex after I told them to leave me alone, I would go back to college. There is no constructive reason to have this dynamic in game.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!